COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:47:56 -0500
Monday, 3/8
FCAT Science, grade 5

Tuesday, 3/9
FCAT Science, grade 5

Wednesday, 3/10
FCAT Reading & Math NRT, grades 3 - 6

Thursday, 3/11
FCAT Make-ups

Friday, 3/12
FCAT Make-ups
Spirit Day - Wear school colors & show your school pride!

Upcoming Events
3/18    Art Day
3/18    End of Third Nine Weeks
3/19    Teacher Planning/Inservice Day (Students Out)
3/22-3/26    Spring Break (Students/Teachers Out)
3/30 - 4/2    SAT/9 Testing (1st-2nd grade)

Principal’s Message
We have been engaged in FCAT this week with our third through sixth grade students and
there is one week to go.  Thank you, parents, for your support in having your children here
on time, assuring an adequate breakfast, and well rested for the testing.  Once again, our
students seemed confident and focused, which surely will have a positive effect on their test
results.  A huge thank you to the teachers and students for their efforts in preparing for the
tests.  They have done a wonderful job of keeping the test in perspective as they work on all
aspects of the curriculum.  Our first and second grade students will have the SAT9 test
administered the week of March 30th – April 2nd.  Although the formal standardized testing
will soon be over there is still much to accomplish in these last few months of school.
Students will continue to work on mastering grade level benchmarks in the coming weeks, as
this is a requirement for promotion.  They will need to continue their hard work and
concentration at school.  Thank you for being so supportive of your children and the school!

School Climate Surveys
Our annual school climate surveys will be sent home to various parents of kindergarten,
third, fourth and fifth grade students next week.  These surveys are very important to our
school as the results will be used by our School Advisory Council when developing the 2004-
2005 School Improvement Plan.  We appreciate parents taking the time to complete the
survey and ask that all surveys be returned to the school no later than March 15th.

Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day!
Canopy Oaks Media at Night presents Musician and Storyteller Hank Taylor on Tuesday,
March 16th, 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Come listen to Irish music and stories and watch a
demonstration by the Tallahassee Irish Step Dancers. Mrs. Anderson will also have a fun craft
to take home.  There will be plenty of green punch and cookies and a chance to win a
Border’s Books gift certificate.

Yearbook
We are looking for a new “in charge” person to head the yearbook staff next school year
(2004/2005).  Debbie Clark had the position this year however her child is leaving COE to go
on to middle school so we are bidding her farewell.  If you are interested in heading up the
yearbook, please call Janet Allen at 488-3301.  Please know that there are other volunteers
who will be helping so you won’t be doing this project by yourself.

Parenting 101 Conference
There is a Parenting 101 Conference this Saturday, March 6th from 8:00 am—5:00 pm at the
Big Bend Workforce Center at 2525 S. Monroe Street.   This conference titled “A Parent Guide
to Surviving 2004 and Beyond” is for parents and care givers of children ages 3-15 and is
hosted by the ACS Family Literacy Program. Seating is limited to the first 80 adults who return
their completed registration form to the Big Bend Workforce Office.