COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:52:58 -0400
Monday, 10/3
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
SAC Meeting in the Media Center at 5:30 P.M.
PTO Meeting  in the Media Center at 7:00 P.M.

Thursday, 10/6
2nd grade field trip to Wakulla Springs
Picture retakes
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Friday, 10/7
Spirit Days are every Friday! Remember to wear your Canopy Oaks colors !!!

Upcoming School Events:

10/10  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/13  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/13  End of First Nine Weeks
10/14  District/Statewide Inservice Day (Students out)
10/17  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/20  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/21  Canopy Oaks Zoobilee, An A+ School Celebration, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
10/24  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/26  Report Cards go home
10/27  Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/28  Awards Assemblies (times TBA)
10/28 Spirit Sales after school in Cafeteria
10/30  Daylight Savings Time Ends, ("Fall Back" - move clocks back one hour)
10/31  No Media At Night

Principal's Message
A special "thank you" to those of you who attended your child's grade level parent meeting at
Open House.  We had 600+ parents on campus.  Our teachers have worked hard to provide you
with information related to expectations for your child's success.  We all appreciate your
involvement with your child's education.  Be sure to read "The Scoop" each nine weeks, so you will
know what is happening in the special area classes of art, music, and physical education.
I would like to thank the Canopy Oaks community for the outpouring of support for the families
affected by Hurricane Katrina.  Your generosity is appreciated!
We have a wonderful PTO!  Many thanks to all of you who participated in the fall fundraiser.  It was
a great success.  The PTO funds support activities for our children.  Our next PTO meeting is
October 3rd at 7:00 pm.

Spirit Sales
As of this week, the Spirit Sales store will only be open every other Friday.  Our schedule will be as
follows:  9/30/05 and 10/28/05.  We have just placed another order and the hoodies and t-shirts
will be in on 9/30/05.  We have had a great response with the spirit sales order form.  Orders are
collected and filled weekly so please be patient if you have not received your order yet.  Also, we
are very limited in the old logo sizes for children but have plenty in the adult sizes.  Thank you for
all of your support and remember to wear your school colors every Friday.

Tardy Policy
Daily attendance and being on time for school are critically important to a child's success in
school.  Students arriving after 7:50 a.m. must have a parent sign him/her in through the front
office or have a written excuse for being tardy.  Without a parent signing him/her in or a note, the
tardy will be unexcused.   School Board policy and Florida law requires that parents be held
responsible if their child is chronically late for school.   The law allows excused tardies for illness
or medical care (of the child), death in the family, religious holidays, prearranged tardies for
educational purposes approved by the principal or assistant principal.  If the child is going to a
dentist or doctor appointment, a note from that office will be required.  Note, oversleeping, car
trouble, traffic, power outage, or a parent not feeling well are not excused tardies.

Code of Conduct Book
The Student Code of Conduct Booklet is now on-line for viewing.  It is located at the District's web
site on the Parent's Page under Student Code of Conduct or at www.leon.k12.fl.us/student_code/
index.htm.

Crossing Areas and Your Safety
Canopy Oaks has adults out front at the crosswalk areas in the drop off/pick up area to help
parents and students cross in both directions.  Please do not walk across until one of our
employees gives you the go ahead.  Even if you are an adult, please wait until the traffic is stopped
and one of our employees has held up the large stop sign to ensure safety.  Also remember that
children are not allowed to cross the drive thru by themselves.  They must have an adult with
them.

Nutrition Tip of the Week
Get the calcium, not the fat! Did you know that you could save 400 pounds of fat and 1.5 million
calories in your lifetime by drinking skim milk instead of whole milk every day?
Adapted from "Smartmouth", Center for Science in the Public Interest's website. www.cspinet.org

Physical Activity of the Week
Small Changes:
Keep in mind that you can make small changes in your daily routine that will increase you physical
activity these changes include:
Taking the stairs, not the elevator.
Park furthest away in the parking lot.
Do abdominal work during TV commercials.
Keep moving!!!

Canopy Oaks activity calendar is available on our website at:
<http://www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/calendar.html>

Please forward this on to other Canopy Oaks parents who might be interested in joining our
listserv.  You may join or leave the listserv at: <http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/
coesparents.html>