COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 2004 10:05:48 -0400
Principal’s Message
The 2004/2005 school year is off to a smooth start! It has been great to see many of you here for
parent /teacher conferences.  We value your involvement in your child’s education.  Be sure to
read “The Scoop” each nine weeks, so you will know what is happening in the special area classes
of art, music, and physical education.

September is National Literacy Month.   This month we can do our part to fight illiteracy by
encouraging children to read.  Most classroom teachers set aside a special time each day for
reading.  Parents, let your children see you reading at home, and take them frequently to the local
library.  You are the best role model they can have.

We have a wonderful PTO!  Many thanks to all of you who participated in the fall fundraiser.  It was
a great success.  The PTO funds support activities for our children.

Our School Advisory Council (SAC) will meet again on November 1st at 5:30 pm.

Events:

Monday, 9/27
Family Day — A Day to Eat Dinner with Your Children
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Thursday, 9/30
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Upcoming Events:
10/4       Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/4       PTO meeting @ 7:00 pm
10/7       Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/11     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/13     Health Screening
10/14     End of First Nine Weeks
10/14     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/15     District/Statewide Inservice Day (Students out)
10/18     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/19     FCAT/SAT 9 Parent Meeting
10/21     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/25     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/27     Report Cards Go Home
10/28     Mock Election Day for Students
10/28     Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
10/29     Awards Assemblies
               8:00 am, Grades K – 2
               9:15 am, Grades 3 – 5
10/29     Fall Picture Retakes
10/29     3rd Grade Hootenanny
10/29     Box Tops Contest Ends

Spirit Days are every Friday!
Remember to wear your Canopy Oaks colors !!!

Code of Conduct Book
The Student Code of Conduct Booklet is now on-line for viewing.  It is located at the District’s web
site on the Parent’s Page under Student Code of Conduct or at:
http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/student_code/index.htm

Crossing Areas and Your Safety
Canopy Oaks has three adults out front at the three crosswalk areas in the drop off/pick up area
to help parents and students cross in both directions.  Please do not walk across until one of our
employees gives you the go ahead.  Even if you are an adult, please wait until the traffic is stopped
and one of our employees has held up the large stop sign to ensure safety.  Also remember that
children are not allowed to cross the drive thru by themselves.  They must have an adult with
them.

Volunteer Parking Space
Please do not park in the designated “Volunteer of the Month” parking space unless you are the
volunteer of the month.   This is given to a specific volunteer each month in appreciation for their
time.  It should be available at all times during the month for the person to use.  Our volunteer
this month is Lori Mizell.

Family Day
Gov. Bush has declared Monday, September 27, as Family Day—A Day to Eat Dinner with Your
Children.  We encourage all families to participate in this event which is aimed at promoting the
value of family interaction as a means of preventing and reducing substance abuse among young
people.  Supporting material about Family Day can be found on the website at:
http://www.firn.edu/doe/familyday

Tardy Policy
Daily attendance and being on time for school are critically important to a child’s success in
school.  Students arriving after 7:50 a.m. must have a parent sign him/her in through the front
office or have a written excuse for being tardy.  Without a parent signing him/her in or a note, the
tardy will be unexcused.   School Board policy and Florida law requires that parents be held
responsible if their child is chronically late for school.   The law allows excused tardies for illness
or medical care (of the child), death in the family, religious holidays, prearranged tardies for
educational purposes approved by the principal or assistant principal.  If the child is going to a
dentist or doctor appointment, a note from that office will be required.  Note, oversleeping, car
trouble, traffic, power outage, or a parent not feeling well are not excused tardies.

Out of Field Teachers
State rule requires that we inform the school community of teachers who are out of field.  All of
our teachers are certified for their primary assignment areas and have either prior grade level
experience in their area, or recent degrees in the area.  All of our teachers are highly qualified.
However, due to the circumstances of a technicality, one of our teachers is classified as “out of
field” in terms of ESOL (English Speakers of Other Languages). Mr. Swartz (2nd grade) is technically
out of field for ESOL, even though he is fully certified for elementary education.

Please send this message to other COES parents who might be interested in joining our listserv at:
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/coesparents.html

If you no longer have children with us, you may also leave the list by going to the above web
address.