COES-PARENTS Archives

Canopy Oaks Parents

COES-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Brenda Fraser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:02:20 -0400
Monday, 4/18
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Wednesday, 4/20
2nd grade trip to Joe Budd (Swartz & Brooks)

Thursday, 4/21
2nd grade trip to Joe Budd (Dulin, Harrison & Deaton)
Writes Upon Request
Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Friday, 4/22
Pig Races...Winners of the Fall candy sale will be invited to participate in the event. Stay tuned for
the schedule.
AR Celebration

Upcoming School Events:
4/25   Fifth grade students & teachers will attend Middle School Orientation at Griffin Middle
School @ 10:00 am
4/25   Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
4/26   Progress Reports Go Home
4/26   1/2 combo classes field trip to Joe Budd
4/26   School Board meeting/workshop, 6 pm @ Howell Center
4/28   "Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work" Day
4/28   Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
4/29   Field Day
5/2 - 5/13    Kindergarten Registration for 2005 -2006 school year
5/2    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm
5/5    Media At Night - Media Center open from 5:30 - 7:30 pm

Principal's Message
Kindergarten registration will begin May 2nd.  If you know of neighbors with children who will be 5
by September 1, 2005, please encourage them to call the school office and find out about
kindergarten registration!  The orientation and tour will be held Thursday, May 12th.

Take Our Sons & Daughters to Work Day
April 28th is the designated date for "Take Our Sons and Daughters to Work".  The guidelines
(aligned with MS Foundation's recommended age group) for Leon County Schools will allow
participation in grades 3-8.  Schools must receive a pre-approved letter from the parent and/or
guardian indicating the student's participation.  The employee must provide the school with a
written statement on company letterhead verifying the student's attendance.  Please note these are
two separate letters.  The first letter must be sent before April 28th and the second letter will need
to be brought in on April 29th.

Orientation for Rising 6th Graders
Our current fifth grade students are scheduled to attend sixth grade orientation at Griffin (the
feeder middle school for Canopy Oaks) on Monday, April 25th at 10:00 am.  A permission slip
went home with all fifth grade students this week.  Please fill it out and return these slips by
Friday, April 15th so your child may attend the orientation.  Please know if you wish for your child
to attend a different orientation at a different middle school, it will be the parents responsibility to
arrange transportation and attendance.  We will post dates and times for other 6th grade
orientations, as we receive them, in our Important Dates section of the newsletter.

5th Grade Celebration
Calling All 5th Grade Parents!  Our 5th Grade Celebration is only a little over one month away and
we have a lot of work to do to send our 5th graders off in style.  Our 5th Grade Celebration is
scheduled for Thursday, May 26th from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.  We will have a planning meeting
on Thursday, April 21st from 6:00 -7:00 p.m. in the Media Center.   Please plan to be there!  If you
have any questions or concerns, please contact me at 488-3301.  Thanks, Renee Martinello

Attention Fifth Grade Parents
We need baby pictures!  There is a slide show presentation in the works for the fifth grade
celebration that is going to include our fifth graders baby pictures.  Please send in a baby picture
in an envelope with your child's name and the homeroom teacher's name marked on the outside.
The pictures will be returned after they have been used.  Please have pictures turned in by April
25th.

The Hurricane Armando Neighborhood Tabletop Exercise is scheduled for April 23rd, which is just
two (2) weeks away. Please work to encourage the residents of your neigborhood to participate in
this important disaster planning and response learning opportunity. For additional and to register
please visit the following web site:  <http://www.tallytown.com/redcross/armando>
Thanks,
Chris Floyd
Emergency Services Director
Capital Area Chapter
American Red Cross
Bookmark us at: http://www.tallytown.com/redcross/ds

Nutrition Tip of the Week:
Protect your heart: Limit red meat, salt and fatty foods to keep your heart healthy and arteries clog
free.

Physical Activity Tip of the Week:
Find the Fit:  It's easy to fit physical activities into your daily routine. Walk, bike or jog to see your
friends. Take a 10 minute activity break every hour while you read, do homework or watch TV.
Climb stairs instead of taking an escalator or elevator. Try to do these things for a total of 30
minutes every day.

Canopy Oaks activity calendar is available on our website at:
<http://www.canopyoaks.leon.k12.fl.us/calendar.html>

Please forward this on to other Canopy Oaks parents who might be interested in joining our
listserv.  You may join or leave the listserv at: <http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/archives/
coesparents.html>