CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:46:46 -0500
Greetings Parents and Students:

It’s official!  Cobb’s 50th Celebration will take place Wednesday, April
27th.  Please contact Mrs. Malissa Counts at [log in to unmask] to get
involved.  We are so excited to showcase Elizabeth Cobb, the oldest middle
school in Leon County.  Please join us in our celebration.

Congratulations to the 6th grade teachers who are very involved with the
L.I.F.E. Project (Laptops Initiative for Education).  They have been busy
learning how to involve students in utilizing wireless computers to
increase student learning.  Laptops will be deployed soon.

Great big congratulations to Michael who was our winner for this semester’s
TOPS award.  Heather K. Burch, D.M.D., M.S. recognizes one student each
nine weeks that has gone above and beyond in one or all of the following
categories:  academics, citizenship, positive leadership skills and
community service.  The student receives a $50.00 savings bond, a $50.00
gift certificate to Books-A-Million, and their photo in the Tallahassee
Democrat.  Michael Duckett excels in all of these areas. Way to go Michael!!

Parents, please remember that the deadline for Reassignment for the 2005-
2006 school year is March 1.  If your child is already approved for
reassignment then there is no need to reapply unless you live outside of
Leon County.  If you moved during this school year and are no longer in
zone, you will need to apply for reassignment.

Cobb’s Applied Science and Technology Magnet Program held an Open House for
5th graders last Thursday evening.  Several hundred parents and students
showed up to travel the halls of Cobb and attended a short evening
program.  We are so proud of all of our Magnet students, parents and
teachers.

Last Thursday Cobb students attended the UF/Gator Outreach Field Trip.
Students had a great time and learned a lot!  Thanks to Mr. Bruce Jones,
Ms. Cutwright and Ms. Thompson for helping make this trip a huge success!

Also, last Saturday we had our 2nd Mini Mu Alpha Math Competition.  The
first year we had just over 100 students and this year we had over 250
students attend this Saturday event.  It is always so great to see 4th and
5th graders who love math.  And who better to lead them then our very own
Mr. Coleman.  Thanks to Mr. Coleman and all of the teachers and students
who assisted us.

Special congratulations to Julissa who was Cobb’s Tropicana Speech Contest
winner.  She won Most Humorous for the entire Leon County Schools.  We are
so proud of you Julissa!!

Girls’ Soccer and Boys’ Basketball are in the middle of their seasons.
Both teams are doing exceptionally well and we are very proud of their
efforts.  Teams are coached by Coach Kendall and Coach Cook, Cobb’s very
best coaches!!  Go Cobb Cubs!!

FCAT will be here before you know it.  Please make sure your children
understand the importance of this test.  All students must make at least a
Level 3 to be considered for promotion.  If your child needs any help at
all, make sure they attend the newly opened After School Program (ACT),
open Monday through Thursdays.

Thanks to all of the students and staff who gave money for the Tsunami
relief.  We appreciate everyone trying to help.  Thanks!!

As always, thanks for your continued support!!

Lynda Roser, Principal

Next Cub Reporter goes home February 15, 2005.
To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following internet
address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/.

TO AVOID CLASSROOM DISRUPTIONS-VALENTINES DELIVERIES WILL NOT  BE ACCEPTED.

PTO NEWS

• Our next meeting is Tuesday, February 8th at 1:00 pm!  Join us in
the Administration Meeting Room—All are welcome

• Don’t forget to sign up for the Albertsons Partner Program and the
Winn-Dixie Rewards Program.  Email Laura Rogers at [log in to unmask]
for more information or help.

• While you are making all your grocery purchases, please save the
General Mills Box Tops for our students.  Each Box Top is worth 10 cents.
This really adds up in money for our school.  The students’ Peer Counsel
classrooms are having a contest, so send them in!

• Don’t throw out those empty computer printer cartridges—they are
worth money to Cobb!  Chair Amy Rooks has a box in the PTO room
marked “Cartridges for Kids”.  Send them in!  If you work in an office that
would donate them, we would appreciate it!

• Cobb Middle School is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and Chairman
Malissa Counts needs all kinds of volunteers for this great celebration.
The Cobb Anniversary has already been mentioned on the WCTV Channel 6 news
and we are trying to get Cobb alumna to join in the fun!  You can contact
Malissa at [log in to unmask]  to find out more on what we will be
planning.

• Please fill out the order form to place your order for Cobb Spirit
items.  Place order form and payment in an envelope marked COBB PTO and
send to the front office.

Laura Rogers
PTO President      385-7749 home

ORDER FORM

                         Adult Sizes
 Price  XS      S      M      L      XL     XXL
Purple T Shirt – (White Paw Prints) $10

Grey T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

White T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

Purple Girls Shorts – (White Cobb on Back) $12

Black Boys Gym Shorts – (White Cobb Logo on leg $15

Totebag $5

Please attach check/cash/money order to:  Cobb PTO.  We will send order
home with the student.

Student Name:_______________   Peer Counseling Teacher: ___________________

Parent Name ______________________________    Grade:  ___________

Home Phone: _________________________     Work Phone: _____________________