CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:34:06 -0400
CUB REPORTER
September 30, 2003
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
“Building the Future Together”

Dear Parents and Students,
    Cobb and all of the teachers and students have been busy these
last few weeks.  From Progress Reports to the first Writes Upon
Request prompt to after school sports and activities; something is
happening all of the time.
    The 2003-2004 Student Code of Conduct Book has been issued to
every student with this Cub Reporter.  Please take the time to read this
book with your child, and, sign the Notice of Receipt Page (at the end
of booklet) with your child, and have your child return that page to
his/her Peer Counseling teacher.  Thanks!!  It is important for students
to understand the guidelines as set forth by law, policy and schools!!
    Cobb students did a superb job at the Cross Country Track Meet
held at Chiles High School.  Charlotte Murrell placed 2nd and Claire
Stodgill placed 6th out of 103 girls who competed in the two mile run.
Graham Hawkes placed 3rd in the 2 mile run with over 100 boys
competing.  Way to go Cross Country!!  Our Cross Country Team
consists of the following students:  7th Graders -  Patrick Dennis,
Graham Hawkes,  Claire Stodgill,  Anna Straubinger; 8th Graders -
Hypetia Bolivar,  Megan Case,  Ryan Coker, Sara Compton,  Sara
Davis,  Lily Howell,  LaMontae Morris,  Charlotte Murrell,  Elizabeth
Nelson,   Sara Radford,  Brooks Whaley,  Ben Williams,  Eddie
Williams, Brittany Young,  and Cody Young!  Thanks Mr. Jones for
sponsoring this sport!!
    Congratulations to the following students who have been selected
as Cobb’s new student mediators:  James Worley, Kerri Owens,
Brittany Williams, Darian Hands, Angela Glaze, Aisha Haque,
Shawteria Thorpe, Vanessa Carey, Lamontae Morris, and Megan
Stokes.  Remember students, if you have a problem with someone on
campus, fill out a mediation form and resolve your differences.  This is
a highly effective technique to resolve problems.  Forms are in the
main hallway,  see Mrs. Gladden, or see a guidance counselor.
    This year we have a few teachers who are out of field.  Ms. Walker
teaches ESE and has completed her bachelors degree and is
working on certification in ESE;   Mrs. Brierton and Mr. Shapiro are out
of field in ESOL (both have completed 60 hours but have not
completed the 300 hours needed for endorsement).  We consider all
three of these teachers to be highly qualified.
    Congratulations to our outstanding football team for their victories at
Jamboree and against Griffin.  We are very proud of all of the players
and  the coaches!!  Coach Cook- the team looks great!!
    Congratulations to our girls’ volleyball team!!  They looked super
against Deerlake the other night.  Way to go girls and Coach Rice!!
Student Elections were held today and all students had a chance to
vote for Student Government Officers in a real voting booth.  It will be
very exciting to work with our new officers.  Look for an update on this
exciting issue.
    String Orchestra Class:  The Orchestra Class has begun meeting in
room 105 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have quite a large group
this year, but we are always happy to let more in. If you have had one
year of strings or any private lessons on violin, viola, cello or bass
come by and introduce yourself to Mr. Gillis, the orchestra director. We
will be performing concerts throughout the year, including a combined
middle school orchestra concert in March that will feature three area
middle schools playing together. If you’re not sure about the class, Mr.
Gillis always welcomes visitors. Come by and see for yourself all of
the fun we're having and then decide if you would like to join. All you
need for the class is an instrument, a folding music stand and a book.
For more information  please e-mail Mr. Gillis  at
    Parents and students, the 3rd Thursday of each month is the Papa
John’s Pizza night for Cobb Middle School.  Papa Johns will donate
20% of the total pizza sales to Cobb AND provide a pizza party with
drinks to the PC classroom with the highest sales.  Here is how it
works:     Anyone can participate but they must state when placing the
order:  “This is for the Cobb Middle School fundraiser; my (son’s,
grandchild’s, friend’s, etc.) teacher’s (give PC teacher) name is ____ “
(so PC gets credit); and pizza must be ordered AFTER 4:00 p.m.
    Finally, the catalog sales order from Kathryn Beich are suppose to
arrive at school on Wednesday, and PTO hopes to have this delivered
to everyone during a PC class at the end of the day.  So, be on the
lookout for your orders.
    Please note below the upcoming events for the next two weeks.
    As always, thanks for your support!!

Lynda Roser, Principal

Next Cub R
eporter goes home on Tuesday, October 14, 2003
                     Calendar of Events
10/1-Girls Volleyball Cobb VS Bellevue at Cobb 6:30
10/2-Cross Country at Everhart 10:45/11:15
10/6-Girls Volleyball Cobb VS Nims at Cobb 6:30
10/7-Tackle Football Cobb VS Raa at Leon 7:00
10/8-Girls Volleyball Cobb VS Ft. Braden at Godby 7:00
10/9-Picture Retakes (for students absent on Picture Day)
10/9-Cross Country at Chiles 10:00/10:30
10/13-Girls Volleyball Cobb VS Raa at Raa 6:30
Homework Center-Oct. 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13 (After School)
    NO HOMEROOM CENTER/AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES ON
OCTOBER 14

PTO NEWS

Next PTO meeting - Tuesday, October 7, 12 noon, in the Meeting
Room.  Bring a lunch and join other interested parents, staff and
faculty.

THANK YOU to everyone who supported our recent Kathryn Beich
catalog sale.  We grossed almost $15,000!  Orders will be delivered
on Wednesday, October 1.

THANK YOU to all the parents who helped make Cobb's Open House
such a great success.  A special thanks to Laura Rogers and the hot
dog crew, Lisa Sharpe and Patti Doerr with Spirit Sales, Donna
Crawford and the Crawford family for a great Student Directory and
Margaret Bryant with SAC.

THANKS and WELCOME to these newest members of the Cobb PTO:
Donovan & Sonia Owen, Retha Ford, Joan Patterson, Bonnie Grant,
Susan Craun, Cheryl Olney, Beth & Kim McDougal, Rita Pearson,
Jean Munroe, Frank & Joyce Dwyer, Wendy Holt, Carol Todaro, William
& Jan Dobson, Karon Brigham, Jim & Mary Beth Sheffield, Anna
Easton, Nathalie Thomas, Kimberly Moore, Ruth Nickens, Nancy
Breslin, Carl & Anquanette Hall, Angela Johnson, Robert & Mary
Bedford, Robinson & Silvia Herrera, Pradger Somakumark & Sonia
Bradeep, Cindee Haeys, Edward & Sherri Coven, Faith Duckett, Brent
& Kim Straubinger, Lori Holcomb, Kim Moore-Mitchell, Lowell Clary,
Kelly Ashey, Lori Scott Lee, Kwan & Helen Park, Anne Nelson, Jun Seo
Park, Thomas Trapane, Sr., George & Traci Cirion, Lee Stepina &
Nancy Stepina-Robison, Celina Lopez, Calvin & Ann Johnson, John &
Wendy Holt, Lynette,Crochere, Carl & Anne Hall, Jeffrey & Chong Kelly,
Stacy & Susan Barrineau, Hugh & Melinda Butler, Daniel & Joan
Davis, Crystal Brumbley, Rebecca Colvin, Don & Susan Glaze, Ellen
Campbell, Lee & Sandy Berger, Frank & Anne Ashcroft, Tony McGuire,
Troy & Barbara Taylor, Kurt & Linda Lieblong, Thomas & Marcia
Friedman, Matt & Michelle Usher, Will & Jennifer Harms, John &
Barbara Nichols, Mike & Rochel Abrams, Rita Pearson,  R.A. Herrera,
Karol Brigham, Michelle Ubben, Pam Craun,  Mary Holmes, and Trina
Roberts.  WOW!  What a great group of generous and supportive
parents!

It's never too late to join the Cobb PTO.  Membership donations of any
amount are welcome.  A donation of $50 or more means the PTO will
never call on you to volunteer your time during the current school year!
Make checks payable to: Cobb PTO and send in with your child.

ATTENTION ALL PARENTS:  Please don't forget to keep an ongoing
record of all hours you donate to Cobb Middle School.  This includes:
helping with fundraisers, any meetings such as SAC and PTO,
making cookies for a class party . . . any time you donate to the school.
This record-keeping is important to our school for grant-writing and in
many other ways.  Forms for recording volunteer hours are in the front
office.  For more information, contact our PTO Volunteer Coordinator,
Denni Rae.