CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:26:40 -0400
September 16, 2005

Greetings Parents and Students,

Thanks to all the parents and students for attending our Open house last
week.  The parent attendance was spectacular!!  I want to also thank you
again for contributing  to the Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Drive; at
this time we have collected over $1,500.00 and we still have a week to go.
Remember for those of you attending the girl’s volleyball games next week
the admission price was increased by $1.00 to help support this worthy
cause.

Last Tuesday, you received your child’s progress reports for the first four
and half weeks of school.  The new format contains much more information
about your child’s progress in each class.  I would like to remind you
about the after school Academic Tutorial Program (ACT). This is a
comprehensive instructional program designed to help students improve their
skills in reading, writing, mathematics, and science. Computer-based
instructional programs along with direct instruction provided by certified
teachers will be available Monday through Thursday.  Students will also be
provided with homework assistance.  If you would like more information
about ACT please call Dr. Jones at 488-3364.

Please make sure you mark your calendar for our first PTO and School
Advisory Committee meetings, Tuesday September 20th, beginning at 6:00 P.M.
with our PTO meeting, and 6:30 P.M. for our School Advisory Committee.
The Public Hearing on our 2005-2006 School Improvement Plan will be
conducted during this time in the media center.  The Public Hearing will
give you a chance to get involved with the school improvement process at
Cobb Middle School.

Every year the Department of Education (D.O.E.) requires schools to notify
parents of teachers that are teaching “out-of-field.”  Currently the
following certified Language Arts teachers are teaching reading, but they
have not completed the reading endorsement: Ms. Horton, Ms. Murphy, Ms.
Schuknecht and Ms. McBride.  These teachers will become “highly qualified”
upon completing the required reading endorsement classes.   The following
teachers have not completed the required ESOL endorsement: Mr. McDaniel,
Ms. McBride, and Ms. Stroh.  These teachers are also currently completing
this requirement.

Please make special note that the teachers will be consistent in applying
our new tardy policy.  Students arriving late to class are very disruptive
and can impede the teaching and learning in the classroom. The consequences
for tardies are as follows:
1st Offense – Teacher, student conference,warning/probation
2nd Offense – Teacher detention or other documented intervention, parent
notification
3rd Offense - Referral, administrator/student conference, administrative
detention, parent contacted
Please support our classroom instruction by talking with your child about
the tardy policy.

 As always, thank you for you support.

Sincerely,

Shannon Meeks