CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:14:26 -0400
CUB REPORTER
OCTOBER 1, 2002
email address-cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us

Greetings Parents & Students,
The fall season is upon us and we are busy with all the academic and
athletic activities.  Our first WUR (Writes Upon Request) was
completed by all grade levels last week.  Choral All-State Exam is
upon us.  Cross Country, Girl’s Volleyball, Cheerleading, Flag
Football, and Tackle Football are all taking place now.  School is
bustling with Student Government elections, assemblies on the
Power of One, and students settling in to the routines of the year.
The Public Hearing for our School Improvement Plan (SIP) is held in
conjunction with our School Advisory Council (SAC), on Wednesday,
October 2nd, at 12:30 in Cobb’s Conference Room.  Last school year
on April 29, 2002 we had our Public Input Day.  Teachers, staff,
parents and students participated in this annual event.  Our School
Improvement Team (SITE) reviewed the comments and appointed a
team of writers consisting of parents and staff.  This writing team
reviewed all the input, aligned our SIP with local and state
requirements, reviewed all data (FCAT, Climate Surveys, etc) and
modified our five year plan to include all of these components.  Then,
the writing team submitted the plan to all stakeholders who reviewed
their product.  Last Tuesday, September 24, 2002, SITE unanimously
approved this plan.  After the public hearing, hopefully SAC will also
approve this plan.  Thanks to all the parents, students, and staff who
have helped in this project.  Our SIP guides all of our activities to
improve student performance in a safe environment.
This year we have a few teachers who are out of field.  Ms. Ketchum,
teaches ESE and has completed her bachelor’s and will complete her
Master’s in Exceptional Education this December.  Mrs. Brierton  is out
of field in ESOL; Mrs. Singleton is out of field in ESOL; Mrs. Bostic is
out of field in ESE, but, is taking the Certification Test this year.
These teachers are working on endorsement or certification, and we
consider them highly qualified.
Cobb now has a Listserv, a program that automatically disseminates
a single e-mail message simultaneously to a group of people on a
mailing list. There is no fee to join the listserv. It has been set up to
share information to parents from Cobb by e-mail, but isn’t intended
as a forum of dialogue between subscribers.  To Subscribe to Cobb’s
parents’ listserv, go to the following internet address to view the “List
Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.  http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/
Click on the “CMS-PARENTS” link and then select “Join or leave the
list (or change settings)”. In the next window you will be asked for your
e-mail address and name. Next, click “Join CMS-PARENTS” and
accept the other default settings.  Once you have signed-up to receive
the mailing, you will receive a confirmation request email THAT YOU
MUST REPLY TO, to confirm your identity and prevent third parties
from subscribing you to a list against your will. Simply wait for this
message to arrive, then follow the instructions to confirm the
operation.
The 2002-2003 Student Code of Conduct is going home with this Cub
Reporter.  Please read and sign page ii and have your child  return
this page to their Peer Counseling teacher.
Don’t forget to come out and support PTO at the meeting on Thursday,
Oct. 3rd at 12:30 in the meeting room.
Thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
ACTIVITIES
October 2  SAC Meeting  12:30 Meeting Rm.
October 3  PTO Meeting, 12:30 Meeting Rm.
October 4  Fund Raiser Packets Due

SPORTS
Volleyball-Practice Oct. 1, 8, & 11
                  Game Oct. 2  at BelleVue 6:30
             Oct. 7, at Nims 6:30
             Oct. 9, Ft. Braden at Cobb 6:30
Tackle Football-Practice Oct. 1-4, 7-11
   Game-Oct. 8 Cobb VS Raa at Leon 7:00
Cheerleading Practice-Oct. 3, 11
   Game-Oct 8 at Leon 7:00
Cross Country-Practice Oct. 7-8
    Meet-Oct 3 at Gretchen Everhart 10:00 A.M.
             Oct. 10 at Chiles H.S. 10:00 A.M.
Flag Football-Practice-Oct. 2,7, & 9
   No Games  Scheduled

Next Cub Reporter will go home October 15, 2002

ATTENTION ALL sixth graders who attended  Kate Sullivan Elementary
School last year

The yearbook  (The Crocodile’s Tale) for Kate Sullivan Elementary
School has arrived! The annual yearbook signing party for last year’s
fifth graders will be held in the Kate Sullivan Elementary School
cafeteria from 4:00 P.M. to 6:00 P.M. SUNDAY, October 6, 2002.
Please come to pick up your yearbook, see your old friends from all
the middle schools, and have fun signing yearbooks. Snacks will be
provided.

Contact Pat Pattison @ 422-0341 or [log in to unmask] for
more information.

                      PTO NEWS

Kathereine Beich CATALOG SALE:

Orders are due this Friday, October 4.  Please remember to collect tax.
Thanks for getting out there and selling those items.  Please call
Karen Murrell 385-4566 with any questions.

Cobb 8th Grade Trip
Universal Studios Orlando – Islands of Adventure

Information packets were sent home with students the week of
October 7th.   If you haven’t seen it yet, check those backpacks.  The
trip is limited to 150 students on a first paid basis.  October 25th is the
deadline for the return of signed permission slips and payment to
hold your child’s place for this trip.  Call Julie Doherty, 385-0506, if you
have any questions.  We’re looking forward to a great time in Orlando
on May 16, 2003.