CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:13:54 -0500
CUB REPORTER
February 3, 2004
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
“Building the Future Together”
Dear Students and Parents,

The last two weeks have just been phenomenal.  We conducted our 1st Magnet
Open House on the evening of Wednesday, January 30th.  Over 600 5th grade
students were invited to attend this event and I venture to say that the
majority of students participated along with their parents.  The teachers
and parents did an excellent job presenting our Magnet Program.  I would
like to personally thank everyone for their efforts on behalf of Cobb
Middle School.

Grades up was conducted last week for each grade level.  Every student who
brought up at least one grade, or they remained on the “A” Honor Roll, was
invited to participate in “Grades Up”.  They were treated to a donut,
juice, and a chance to win a prize towards movies, food or other
entertainment dollars.  Thanks to PTO for providing this great activity for
our students.

Boys basketball and girls soccer are both underway.  The games have been so
exiting and the students and coaches are doing a great job.  Please come
out and support the students in their athletic activities.

The Climate Surveys were sent home on Monday to 6th and 8th grade parents.
Parents, please complete these and return to your child’s Peer Counseling
teacher ASAP.  Thanks!!

Progress Reports go home on Monday, February 9th.  It is hard to believe
that the school year is more than half over.

Congratulations to our students who will represent us in the 2004 Brain
Bowl Team:  Aaron Brown, Caleb Keller, Drew Butler, Graham Hawkes, Jeremy
Katz and Joshua McLawhorn are the students representing Cobb.  We wish them
the best of luck as they move forward to the competitions.

We would like to give our thanks to Rebecca Coffee for representing Cobb in
the 4-H Tropicana Public Speaking Contest.  She did an excellent job!!
And, we would like to congratulate Eli Powelson who represented us in the
Leon District Spelling Bee.  We are so very proud of both of these students.

On Saturday, January 24th, Cobb students traveled to Vero Beach for a high
school math contest. There were 63 schools from all over Florida and
Alabama competing. Approximately 1400 students participated in this
competition.  The Geometry team of Ryan Coker, Meagan Davis, and Bernadette
Quijano placed 34th. Ryan Coker was our high individual scorer.  In Algebra
I, the team of Brandon Davis, Michael Duckett, Angela Glaze and Conor
McBride placed 8th. (Wow!) Brandon and Michael both finished in the top 40
as individuals.  All Algebra and Geometry Students are invited to
participate in the next Mu Alpha Theta contests. There will be a regional
competition on February 7th in Ft. Walton.   Cobb Math Teams are Great!!

We conducted our 1st ever Mini Mu Math Competition for elementary schools
at Cobb on Saturday, January 31st.  What a wonderful time we had.  It was
so exciting to see so many elementary students get excited about
mathematics.  Thanks to all of the parents, teachers and staff who helped
with this event.

Please mark your calendar for the upcoming events listed below.

As always, thanks for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Lynda Roser,
Principal
         TO AVOID CLASSROOM INTERRUPTIONS

                                         DELIVERIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

The next Cub Reporter will go home on March 2, 2004

 Calendar of Events:
BE LOOKING FOR THE MAIL HOME NEWSLETTER-TENTATIVELY TO BE MAILED AT THE END
OF FEBRUARY!!
February 4  Boys Basketball game Cobb VS Fairview at Cobb 6:30
February 5 Town Hall Meeting on Obesity 6:30 P.M.  City Hall

February 9 Progress Reports go home
  Girls Soccer game Cobb VS Deerlake at Tom Brown 6:00
February 10 FCAT – 8th Grade
  WUR 6th & 7th
  Boys Basketball game Cobb VS Swift Creek at Cobb 6:30
February 11 Girls Soccer game Cobb VS BelleVue at Messer Park 6:00
February 14 Happy Valentine’s Day
February 16 Girls Soccer game Cobb VS Raa at Tom Brown 7:30
February 17 Boys Basketball game Cobb VS Griffin at Griffin 6:30
February 18 Boys Basketball game Cobb VS Nims at Cobb 6:30
February 24 School Advisory Council meeting 12:00 noon
NO PTO MEETING IN THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY

Letter to Parents:

Technology tutor is available 24/7.

     This year, we’ve taken a big step forward in incorporating technology
into our
classrooms. Introducing Atomic Learning, our online resource for software
training.
It’s available to our students, and their families – in school and at home -
 24/7 –
throughout the school year.
     Atomic Learning’s just-in-time approach to software training focuses
on answering the common questions you have when learning and using
software. Need to know how to cut and paste in Word? Is your child making a
PowerPoint presentation and looking for help? Need to type a formula in
Microsoft Excel? Go to the site, type in your question, and watch a
narrated movie that shows you step by step how to accomplish the task.
     Atomic Learning library features more than 4,000 tutorial movies on
over 40 of the most common software applications. And an average of 150
movies are added every month.
     Our school is dedicated to providing the highest quality technology
resources available. Just ask Al.
www.atomicLearning.com
     Log in from any computer at school for staff or students does not
require a Login username or Password.
     You DO need to use the following Login username and Password to access
Atomic Learning at home.

Contact Frankie Mack or the front office at Cobb for loggin and password.

PTO NEWS

The PTO congratulates all students honored during the recent GRADES UP!
celebrations.  THANKS to these parents who served snacks and secured door
prizes for the celebrations:  Jill Snow and Charlie Guyton (6th grade),
Lynn Barr and Terri Gross (7th grade), Anne Ashcroft and Elaine Nation (8th
grade).

THANKS to these Cobb parents and students who helped the PTO during the
Magnet Open House:  Rochel Abrams, Deborah Abrams, Heidi Aaron, Laura
Rogers, Margaret Bryant, Karen Murrell and Julia Guyton.   The PTO placed
60 purple and white helium balloons around the campus and served as
greeters.

START SAVING BOX TOPS AND SOUP LABELS
MORE INFORMATION WILL BE IN THE NEXT CUB REPORTER

 Cobb PTO is preparing information for the Box Tops for Education and
Campbell’s Soup Labels for Education fundraiser drive.  For those of you
who do not know what this project is, General Mills pays Cobb for each Box
Top coupon redeemed and Campbell’s Soup exchanges labels for merchandise
for the school.   Please start saving labels now!  Participating brands for
Box Tops for Education include General Mills cereal, Pillsbury products,
Yoplait, Hamburger Helper, Betty Crocker products, Old El Paso, Progresso
Soup, Green Giant, Totino’s, Fruit Roll Ups, and Bisquick.  Campbell’s Soup
products are, of course, Campbell’s soups, Pepperidge Farm products, Soup
at Hand, Swanson, V8, and Pace.

Lindsay Peebles and Kelly Dozier

8TH GRADE DANCE

The eighth grade dance will be Friday, May 14th, 7:30-10:30. The theme will
be Springtime in Paris which is what the majority voted for back in
October.  The tickets will be $12.00 and will go on sale closer the dance
date.  Students  and parents reserve this date and set aside the $12.00,
look around for attire, etc. so it's not a last minute scramble.  Attire is
nice dress clothes.  (PTO)