CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:16:24 -0500
CUB REPORTER
February 15, 2005
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us    http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
“Building the Future Together”

Greetings Parents and Students:
  Happy Belated Valentines Day!  It is a pleasure to write and tell you
about all of the exciting events that are currently taking place and that
are going to take place at Cobb in the very near future.
  Lots of students and staff are home sick with the flu.  We wish everyone
a speedy recovery and hope everyone is following all of the healthy tips
that are on our CCNN television program.
  Progress Reports went home last Thursday.  While many of the reports
looked good, some of them show that students really need to buckle down,
get organized, and start doing and or turning in their work.  Please follow
along in the agenda books and try and insure that students try their very
best.  Remember, we have not had summer school in a long time and we will
not have it this year.
  FCAT testing is upon us and I just want to remind everyone that
absolutely no cell phones or any electronic device may be on at anytime
during school hours.  Not only will they be taken away until the end of the
year but having any of these items out invalidates the FCAT.  That is a
high price to pay.  Please help us not to have to invalidate your test!!
On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 26 Cobb students traveled to Ft. Walton
Beach for a math contest at Choctaw High School. There were 42 teams from
21 middle and high schools participating. Cobb competed in the Algebra I
and geometry divisions and brought home trophies in both contests.  The
geometry team of Brandon, Michael, Graham, and Carol e placed 3rd. Graham s
placed 7th as an individual while Michael was 21st, Brandon was 23rd and
Carol placed 36th in individual competition.  In Algebra I, the Cobb team
of Deborah, Thomas, Arielle, and Kathleen placed 4th.  As individuals,
Angela placed 16th, Kathleen was 20th, Arielle was 26th and Douglas
finished 43rd. Congratulations to all the students who participated. We are
very proud of you!
  The district has made The Parent Guide available and it can be accessed
through the district’s website. Click on the parent page and then click on
parent guide. The actual address is:
  http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/public/news/2004-2005%20Parent%20Guide.htm
  Letters are being sent to parents about Mass Body Index and we wanted you
to know that Cobb students’ healthy weight, within normal range, was 65.07%
and the middle schools’ average was 62.03%.  So, it looks like everybody is
doing  pretty well, but we can all do better.
  The Boys’ Basketball Team is currently undefeated as is the Girls’ Soccer
Team.  These have been some of the most exciting games that I have seen in
a long time.  The half time show at the basketball game has been
tremendous.  The cheerleaders, flag corps., and dance team have provided a
tremendous half-time show.  Thanks to the coaches and all of the students!!
Students have been participating in a multitude of activities for Black
History Month.  They have traveled as far as Gainesville and last Friday
went to see the production of Drugs Destroy Dreams at FAMU.
  Students have been shadowing in our Applied Science and Magnet Program
and have been dissecting different species.  Oh what fun they have!!
  In the next few weeks we will have a nationally famous poetry performer,
a Black History assembly, an alumni meeting, and more FCAT testing.
Please mark your calendar for the following:
 Wednesday, Feb. 16 5:00-6:00, Media Center, Rickard IB Program
                                   Representative For students who are
                                   zoned for or qualify for the IB Program
        Tuesday, Feb. 22nd 12:45  School Advisory Meeting
 Thursday, Feb. 24 7-8 p.m. Media Center *Alumni Meeting
*If you know anyone who has ever taught at Cobb or attended Cobb, this will
be the time for them to get involved and plan for Cobb’s birthday party.
   Wednesday, April 27th Cobb’s Birthday Party (more to come later)
   As always, thanks for your continued support!!

Lynda Roser, Principal

Next Cub Reporter goes home March 1, 2005.
To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following internet
address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/.

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Feb. 15-Girls Soccer (make up game) at
             Tom  Brown 6:00
            Boys B. Ball at BelleVue 6:30
     21-President Day – NO SCHOOL

PTO NEWS

• Volunteers are need for classroom assistance during FCAT testing.
Dates are February 28 and March 1, 8:30-11:00 and April 7 & 8, 8:30-11:00.
If you can volunteer, please contact Laura Rogers, PTO President, 385-7749.

• Our next meeting is Tuesday, March 8th at 7:00 pm!  Join us in the
Media Center—All are welcome

• Don’t forget to sign up for the Albertsons Partner Program and the
Winn-Dixie Rewards Program.  Email Laura Rogers at [log in to unmask]
for more information or help.

• The Box Tops 4 Education race is on and we're off to a great
start.  Mrs. S. Davis's PC class is in the lead with 391 total Box Tops.
Following is Mrs. Harrell's PC class with 240 Box Tops and Mrs. Simpkins'
PC class is in third with 227.

P/C teachers,  keep collecting and bringing in the  boxtops and at the end
of the year the top three classes will get a doughnut party and more.

• Don’t throw out those empty computer printer cartridges—they are
worth money to Cobb!  Chair Amy Rooks has a box in the PTO room
marked “Cartridges for Kids”.  Send them in!  If you work in an office that
would donate them, we would appreciate it!

• Cobb Middle School is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and Chairman
Malissa Counts needs all kinds of volunteers for this great celebration.
The Cobb Anniversary has already been mentioned on the WCTV Channel 6 news
and we are trying to get Cobb alumni to join in the fun!  You can contact
Malissa at [log in to unmask]  to find out more on what we will be
planning.  Our meeting is February 24, 7:00 in the Media Center

• Please fill out the order form to place your order for Cobb Spirit
items.  Place order form and payment in an envelope marked COBB PTO and
send to the front office.

Laura Rogers
PTO President      385-7749 home

ORDER FORM

                         Adult Sizes
 Price  XS      S      M      L      XL     XXL
Purple T Shirt – (White Paw Prints) $10

Grey T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

White T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

Purple Girls Shorts – (White Cobb on Back) $12

Black Boys Gym Shorts – (White Cobb Logo on leg) $15

Totebag $5

Please attach check/cash/money order to:  Cobb PTO.  We will send order
home with the student.

Student Name:__________________________   Peer Counseling Teacher:

Home Phone: _________________________         Work Phone:

Laura Rogers