CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:38:17 -0400
CUB REPORTER
April 8, 2003
Email address-cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us

Greetings Parents & Students,
Report Cards went home Friday.  We are now in to the last nine weeks
of the 2002-2003 school year.  It seems like the school year is flying
by, and we are busily preparing for next school year.
On Saturday, March 8, Cobb participated in the Gulf Coast Regional
Mu Alpha Theta math contest. This contest was held at Mosley High
School in Panama City. There were 28 middle and high schools at the
competition from all over Northwest Florida. Over 700 students
participated in this competition. The Geometry team of Lisa, Sawicki,
Karynn Schmidt, Keisin Wang and Brian Wheeler placed 12th Keisin
Wang was the high individual placing 26th while Karynn Schmidt was
41st.  In Algebra I, the team of Michael Barr, Siddarth Charhupiya, and
Levon Hoomes finished in 9th place. The high individual was Siddarth
Charhupiya, who finished 21st  Michael Barr was 49th
Congratulations to all the students who participated. We are very
proud of you!
Congratulations to Mrs. Kalisha Hudgins, she is Cobb’s Teacher of
the Year for the Aquilina Howell/Devurn Glenn Award.  We are so very
proud of this young outstanding teacher who goes above and beyond
the call of duty.  Please make sure you congratulate her on this
prestigious award.
Congratulations to Joe Ziegler of ATAC (Area Tallahassee Aquatics
Club) who won the individual high point (11-12 boys) with 54 points at
the Florida Swimming Junior Olympics (JO) held mid-March in
Gainesville.  He broke the JO record in the 200 yd free style and the JO
and state records in the 50 yd backstroke.  Joe had six 1st  place
finishes.  Way to go Joe!!
Congratulations to all of the students who participated in the Odyssey
of the Mind competition.  Look forward to more information in the next
Cub Reporter and the mail home newsletter.
Congratulations to the Cobb Brain Bowl team who competed at TCC
on March 13th  and tied for 3rd  place.  The team of Michael Figgers,
Jeremy Katz, Karis Needham, Karynn Schmidt, Keisin Wang and Brian
Wheeler did an outstanding job.  Gloria Gauding and Jackie Gaul also
participated in this event.  Thanks to Mrs. Corbett and Mrs. Brierton for
leading the charge in this excellent and exciting event!!
The Cobb Middle School Cheerleaders performed at the annual Leon
County Cheerleading Showcase and did an outstanding job
representing themselves and their school.  They hit every stunt, held
every spot, and looked so professional.  Thanks to the entire team and
Dr. Flanagan for this excellent squad!!
I hope everyone heard about the fabulous dance that was held at
Cobb.  What a great time everyone had dancing up a storm.  Thanks to
Mrs. Drew and Student Government for sponsoring this event.
Congratulations to the members of the symphonic band who earned a
superior rating at the FBA District 3 Band Festival.  We appreciate their
dedication and hard work!!
Thanks to Conor McBride for representing Cobb at the Challenger
Learning Center’s grand opening on March 22, in Tallahassee. The
ceremonies included a memorial to America's astronauts who died in
the line of duty, and a question and answer period with the
International Space Station, presented by area Middle School
students. The Challenger Learning Center uses student's natural
enthusiasm for space to create innovative learning experiences for
imaginative young minds. Take time to check it out!  Great job Conor!!
Thanks to Gloria Gauding and Maurice Smith for representing Cobb
on the talk show “Straight Talk”.  They did an excellent job, learned a
great deal, and contributed to the program.
Please make plans to attend the SAC (School Advisory Meeting) at
Cobb on Wednesday, April 9th at 12:30 in the main office conference
room.  We are looking for new members to join us for next year.
Please take the time to get involved in your child’s education.
Girls’ Softball and track are now in season.  If you haven’t attended
one of these exciting events, you might want to mark your calendar.
All rising 5th, 6th, and 7th  graders, mark your calendar now for the
Curriculum Fair which will be held Monday night, April 21, from 6:30 to
7:30 p.m. in the gym.  This is the time to come by and talk to the
teachers about courses for next year.  We have a fun time and it is a
chance for you to ask questions about the curriculum and courses.
The CRF (Course Request Forms) will be handed out on Mon. 4/21.
Course Request Forms will be due that week.
 As always, thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser
Principal

Next Cub Reporter Tuesday, April 22, 2003

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
SPORTS
Girls Softball  Games:
April 9 – Cobb VS Deerlake at Lincoln, 6:00
April 14 – Cobb VS BelleVue at Messer Pak, 6:00
April 16 – Cobb VS Raa at Leon, 7:30

Track and Field
 4/8 First Meet, 5:30, Godby High
  4/15 Second Meet, 5:30, Leon High

HOMEWORK CENTER                School Activities
April 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, & 16               April 16 – Writes Upon Request
              April 21 – Curriculum Fair,
               Cobb Gymnasium, 6:30-7:30