CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:17:34 -0500
January 12, 2006

Dear Parents:
  Greetings!  On behalf of the faculty and staff at Cobb Middle School, I
would like to welcome you back for another outstanding semester at Cobb.  I
hope that you had a wonderful and restful holiday vacation.
  As we transition into the second half of the school year, I am excited to
announce that our first semester was a huge success.   In keeping with that
success, report cards were distributed on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 in your
child’s Peer Counseling class.
  Here at Cobb, several faculty and staff members and students have also
been recognized for their outstanding achievements.
  First off, Mrs. Jan Graham was selected as the 2005-2006 Teacher of the
Year.  Mr. Doug Cook was also named this year’s Devern Glen/Acquilina
Howell Distinguished Minority Educator of the Year.  Congratulations to
both teachers for receiving these great honors and exemplifying excellence
both inside and outside the classroom.
  Building Maintenance Supervisor, Mr. Mike McGee, was chosen as the School
Related Employee of the year.  This outstanding member of the Cobb staff
was also named one of the top five finalists for the Leon County School
Related Employee of the Year Award.
  In addition, I would like to congratulate all of our students who
excelled last semester in the areas of Spelling, Speech, and Science.
  Earlier this year, the Language Arts classes participated in the Spelling
Bee and the Tropicana Speech Contest. Eighth grader Sara Turnage won 1st
place at this years Cobb Spelling Bee, and went on to represent the school
at the Leon County Spelling Bee on December 8, 2005.  Brittany Banks is
this year’s Tropicana Speech Contest winner, and will compete for the
county title on Saturday, January 28, 2006 at Community Christian School.
  In addition, the science classes participated in a school-wide Science
Fair.  All of the students did a superb job on their projects in the areas
of Earth Science, Medicine and Health, Mathematics, Behavioral Science,
Space Science, Zoology, Microbiology, Engineering, and Environmental
Science. The 1st and 2nd place category winners will go on to compete at
the Tallahassee Regional Science and Engineering Fair held at FSU’s Tully
Gym on February 10.
  In keeping with the spirit of Cub success, we have several exciting
events planned for the month of January.  On January 26, we will host our
annual Magnet Open House.  The event will take place in the Cobb Gymnasium
at 6:30p.m. The purpose of the open house is to provide rising sixth
graders and their parents an overview of the Applied Science and Technology
Magnet Program as well as all other academic and extracurricular activities
that are available at Cobb.
  Also, in celebration of Martin Luther King Day, eighth grade students
Jeremiah Elliot and Brittany Williams will represent Cobb at the Martin
Luther King, Jr. Commemorative Breakfast on January 13, 2006.  Jeremiah is
the Student Body president, an honor student, and actively participates in
several clubs on campus.  Brittany is also a Student Government Association
representative, an honor student, and an active member of several clubs and
sports teams.  Both students have displayed great leadership among their
peers and are wonderful examples of students keeping Dr. King’s dream
alive.
  On Saturday, January 28, you and your family are invited to attend the
20th Anniversary Memorial Event at the Challenger Learning Center.  This
event will commemorate the 20th anniversary of the Challenger space shuttle
accident.
  I look forward to working with you in continuing to make the 2005-2006
school year a success.  With your support, the Cobb Cub family will
continue to excel in academic performance.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Shannon Meeks,