CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:40:52 -0500
CUB REPORTER
January 18, 2005
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us    http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
“Building the Future Together”

Greetings Parents and Students:
Welcome back to second semester of an exciting school year.  There is quite
a bit of information to share for this Cub Reporter so I will try to be
brief, but give you all of the pertinent information.  If you need any more
information on any of the items, please feel free to give us a call.
Report Cards – went home on Wednesday, January 12th.  If your child was on
the Honor Roll they are eligible to receive a free game ticket to two
upcoming FSU Basketball games that will be held on Thursday, Jan. 20th and
Tuesday, Feb. 22nd at the Leon County Civic Center.  FSU Women’s
Basketball – 1/20 vs. N. Carolina at 7:00 p.m. and FSU Men’s Basketball,
2/22 vs. Miami @ 6:30 p.m.  To receive the free game ticket, the report
card must be brought to the FSU Ticket Office M-F, 8:30-4:30.  One free
ticket per report card.
We just received $12,000 for an Academic Tutorial Program for after
school.  We are calling this program ACT (Academic Tutorial Program).  This
after school program is designed to help students improve their skills in
reading, mathematics and science proficiency.  Students who score on Level
1 or 2 on the FCAT will be given personalized instruction.  Students who
score on Level 3 will be provided with support to maintain or improve their
level of mastery.  The program begins today, January 18th, after school
from 2:00 until 3:45.  If the students are eligible to ride the bus, they
may ride the after school bus at 4:00 p.m.
The Cobb staff would like to thank the PTO and all of the parents for the
fantastic lunch which they served to us before the winter break.  We always
like to eat and the food was fabulous.  Thank you, thank you.
The Cobb faculty has selected our employees of the year.  Special
congratulations go to the following personnel:  Employee of the Year – Mrs.
Dee Ann Jackson;  Devurn Glen/Acqulina Howell Employee of the Year – Mr.
Bruce Jones; and Teacher of the Year – Mrs. Beverly Simpkins.  This is a
very special honor so please give these staff big congratulations!!
Cobb’s 2005 Brain Bowl Team consists of Amy, Graham, Jason, Josephr,
Brandon and Michael t.  We look forward to Mrs. Brierton and Mrs. Parrott
sponsoring these bright young students.
Congratulations to the winners in the Tropicana Speech Contest: 1st:
Julissa; 2nd: Rebecca; 3rd:  ; and 4th:  Allison.  Everyone did a wonderful
job on their speeches and we look forward to Julissa representing Cobb at
the district competition at Swift Creek on January 22nd.
Congratulations to Mrs. Gamache’s Peer Counseling class for collecting the
most items for the food drive for needy families before the holidays.  It
is wonderful that students understand how to help those less fortunate than
themselves.  Good Job!!
Healthy Kids – There is a 30 day open enrollment (until Jan. 31) period for
affordable healthcare which is available to uninsured children in Florida.
Applications are available on the Internet at www.healthykids.org or by
calling toll free, 1-888-540-5437.
Congratulations to the following school wide Spelling Bee winners who
competed for the top spellers at Cobb:  8th Grade – JaMaria, Joe, Roshekia
y, Christian;  7th – Deborahs, Darryl, Zachary, Nina, Sitt;  6th – Chris,
Brianna, Kelsy, Kadeadra, Stephen.  The winners from this competition were:
1st Nina, 2nd-Joe , and 3rd Chris.  Congratulations to all of our excellent
spellers!!
Congratulations to Graham, the winner of the Geography Bee, and to Joseph
and Cliff for their second and third place win. To George, Kellen, Adam,
Brett, Michael, Kylel and Michaela thanks for your participation as class
winners.   It was an exciting contest and you all showed how much you have
learned over the years in your Social Studies classes. We all wish Graham
good luck in the second part of the contest qualifying for the Florida
State Geography Bee.
The Human Relations Club attended the Martin Luther King Program at Florida
State University on Wednesday.  At FSU the students from all the schools
united for lunch and fellowship outside Ruby Diamond Auditorium before the
program.   The audience was entertained with music and dramatic
presentations.  The group was inspired by the Dream Alive Program by Joe
Rogers.  The program is a unique blend of history, motivation and
education.  Thanks to Mrs. Westley who is the club sponsor.
A big congratulation goes to Andronica and Earnest  for representing Cobb
at the Martin Luther King Celebration Breakfast at the Civic Center on
Friday.  They are both to be commended for trying to live the dream that
Dr. King challenged us to face.  Congratulations to both students for doing
an excellent job!!
Cobb, along with the entire school system, is asking all students and
faculty to donate $1.00, or whatever they can afford, to be given at school
which will be collected to give to the American Red Cross for the tsunami
victims.  So many students and staff wanted to help in someway, and the
district has given us this opportunity.  Please work with your children to
help them understand the importance of natural disasters and the sense of
community.  Thanks!!
Also, we are talking about health, diet and healthy eating on our news show
every morning.  Mrs. Beyer is also running healthy tips on the marquis
which runs on the television throughout the day.  We are all trying to
educate ourselves for a healthy lifestyle.
A Youth Crime Watch committee is getting started again.  Please see Ms.
Cockrell or Deputy Milliken if your child is interested.  They have already
had two meetings and we know the students are excited.
We are planning for our 5 year SACS accreditation visit and our 50th
Anniversary.  Both of these events will take place in the spring.  We would
love for you to be involved.  The SACS chair is Mrs. Melanie Rentz (she can
be reached via school email at [log in to unmask] or 488-
3364); and the 50th Anniversary chair is Malissa Counts, 850/539-1751 or
545-9697.
Boys Basketball and Girls’ Soccer are starting.  Please come out and
support the teams.
Please see the calendar of events.  Thanks for all that you do and thanks
for your continued support.

Lynda Roser, Principal

Next Cub Reporter goes home February 1,  2005.

To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following internet
address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/.

PTO   NEWS
• Thank you to Chairman Vickie Childers and the volunteers for the
Classic Cookie Dough Fundraiser.  We raised about $3500!!!  Thanks for
ordering.
• Thank you to Chairman Cathy Molitaris and the volunteers that
assisted with the Leon County Vision/Hearing Screening exams at Cobb.
• Thank you to Chairman Jama Kinser-Manning and all the parents that
made the delicious food for the December Teacher Appreciation Luncheon.  It
was a HUGE success and the teachers and staff loved it!
• Don’t forget to sign up for the Albertsons Partner Program and the
Winn-Dixie Rewards Program.  Email Laura Rogers at [log in to unmask]
for more information or help.
• While you are making all your grocery purchases, please save the
General Mills BoxTops for our students.  Each Box Top is worth 10 cents.
This really adds up in money for our school.  The students’ Peer Counsel
classrooms are having a contest, so send them in!
• Don’t throw out those empty computer printer cartridges—they are
worth money to Cobb!  Chair Amy Rooks has a box in the PTO room
marked “Cartridges for Kids”.  Send them in!  If you work in an office that
would donate them, we would appreciate it!
• “Grades Up” is a recognition program for students who increased
their grades from the first quarter. Congratulations to the 240 students
that accomplished their goals.  Many businesses donated items to all these
students for the program this week—Thank you to All American Ford, Karmanos
Printing, the Sheriff’s Department and Fun Station.  They are the best!!!!
• We need some volunteers for some upcoming events:  Please contact
Laura Rogers at [log in to unmask] to volunteer at the Science Magnet
program to sell Tshirts on Thursday, January 27th from 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm in
the gym.
• Cobb Middle School is celebrating its 50th Anniversary and Chairman
Malissa Counts needs all kinds of volunteers for this great celebration.
The first meeting is January 27th at 6:30 pm in the Administration
Conference Room.  Please enter through the back door area.  All are
welcome!  You can contact Malissa at [log in to unmask]
• 2005 8th Grade Atlanta Trip
Dates:  Friday, April 8 – Saturday, April 9, 2005
Parent Trip Coordinator:  Heidi Aaron (878-8768) ([log in to unmask])
There are still a few spaces available, please contact Heidi Aaron for
details
Finalized Itinerary
         Friday – Atlanta Braves baseball game (season opener) and Stone
Mountain
Laser Light Show
Saturday – Six Flags Amusement Park
Cost and Payment Schedule
$250 if paid in one payment, $270 if paid in three installments of $90
First payment and Authorization Form were due 11/5/04
Second payment of $90 is due on or before 1/31/05
Final payment is due on or before 3/11/05
• Our T-shirts and shorts from Florida Tees are in!  Please fill out
the order form to place your order for Cobb Spirit items.  Place order form
and payment in an envelope marked COBB PTO and send to the front office.

Laura Rogers
PTO President      385-7749  home

ORDER FORM

                         Adult Sizes
 Price  XS      S      M      L      XL     XXL
Purple T Shirt – (White Paw Prints) $10

Grey T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

White T Shirt – (Purple Cobb Logo) $10

Purple Girls Shorts – (White Cobb on Back) $12

Black Boys Gym Shorts – (White Cobb Logo on leg) $15

Totebag $5

Please attach check/cash/money order to:  Cobb PTO.  We will send order
home with the student.

Student Name:__________________________   Peer Counseling Teacher:

Home Phone: _________________________         Work Phone: