CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 12:24:06 -0400
CUB REPORTER
May 18, 2004
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
                                                            “Building the
Future Together”

Dear Parents and Students,
It seems impossible that another great year has come to an end at Elizabeth
Cobb Middle School.  It has been a wonderful year and we would like to
thank you for sending your children to us.  To the eighth graders who are
going on to high school, you will be missed.  We have been extremely busy
with concerts, cookouts, and preparing for exams.  Our test scores are
coming in and we continue to excel in reading and math.  Thanks to all of
the parents over the year who have helped make all of us successful.
Congratulations to Ms. Robin Oliveri who will be published as a co-author
of a paper about the  West Nile virus in this month’s Journal of Tropical
Medicine and Hygiene.  She designed the data collection system, collected
and aggregated the data for the paper.  Dr. Blackmore coordinated the
paper.  Congratulations Ms. Oliveri!!
The Challenger Learning Center’s Summer Camps are “out of this world!” and
they wanted us to let you know the dates: June 7 – 11, June 14 – 18, June
21 – 25, June 28 - July 1, July 6 – 9, July 12 – 16, July 19 – 23, July 26 –
 30, August 2 – 6, August 9 – 13. Students will participate in numerous
activities, including but not limited to: water rockets, space mission
simulations, IMAX films, Planetarium shows, edible models of comets and
planes. Each camp has a different “Spacey” Theme. The Challenger Learning
Center will also be conducting camps specifically for Boy Scouts and Girls
Scouts. During the “Boy Scout Space Exploration & Astronomy Camp” and
the “Girl Scout Aerospace, Sky Search & Space Exploration Camp”, scouts
will be earning those respective badges. All Camps are open to rising 4th –
9th graders and will begin at 9AM and end at 4PM (extended care is also
available). For more information visit our website at www.challengertlh.com
or call 850.645.STAR.
Congratulations to Mr. Bob Coleman and his 6th grade class for being
sponsored in the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics for solving
the March 2003 “Problem Solvers.”  Mr. Coleman is the best!!
Congratulations to the 2004-2005 Cobb Color Guard:  Chanyang Jung, Brittany
Wood, Kyndra McFarlane, Nicole Folsom, Juliet Turner, Amanda Tyler, Joneka
McKnight, Twila Carroll, Stenze Daniels, and Marylee Mulliken.  The Captain
of the squad is Stenza Daniels and the Co-Captain is Courtney Brown.  We
are very proud to present this new team.  Thanks to Ms. Rentz and Ms.
Ketchum for sponsoring this squad.
Wow!!  The 7th grade trip was wonderful and the *8th grade trip was
OUTSTANDING!!!!  Thanks to all of the parents, teachers and staff who
chaperoned these trips!!  Everyone had a superb time!!
The Talent Show, MADD presentation, cookouts, field trips, and the entire
end of the year activities have been so much fun!  Thanks everyone!!
Thanks to PTO and all of the parents for a SUPER Teacher Appreciation
Week!  You certainly know how to make us feel appreciated!!  Thank you!
Congratulations to Frederick Ford for being published in the spring 2004
anthology A Celebration of Young Poets.  We are very proud of you for
writing the poem on Springtime.
Congratulations to Dr. Shirley Jones, president of the Tallahassee National
Hook-Up of Black Women.  She received the President’s Award, which is the
highest award bestowed upon anyone by this organization, for outstanding
service.  We are so proud of Dr. Jones and her continuous support of our
children, staff, and community.  Thanks!!
Congratulations to Mr. Zac Ansley for being published in the PEOPLE IN THE
COMMUNITY.  His article on “Keys to Raising Academically Talented Children”
was informative and right on target.  Way to go Mr. Ansley.
The Supply List printed in the mail home newsletter, The Cub Claws, is the
2003-2004 list and will be updated and on the Cobb Home page this summer.
You can view the updated Supply List and the Summer Reading List after June
1 at www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us.
Parents, please remember ALL MEDICATION must be picked up by a
parent/guardian no later than June 3rd.  After that date, Health Services
will discard all of the medication on file.  Thanks!
Lot of dates and times to remember:
LOCKERS
5/19        Begin locker cleanout
5/21        Last day for locker cleanout
5/24        Lockers secured
NO BOOK BAGS
5/25-5/27
EXAM SCHEDULE
5/25    1/6
5/26    3/5
5/27    4/2
EVENTS
Thurs. 5/20    2nd period  7th grade awards
               3rd period  6th grade awards
              7 p.m.       Band Concert
Fri. 5/21     lunch        7th grade- Honor Roll Pizza Party
              6th period   8th grade - Citizenship - Ice Cream Social
              Band –  field trip
Tues. 5/25    noon-  SAC  Meeting
              6:30-7:30  8th Grade Awards at Leon
FCAT Scores go home:  May 21st (tentative)
Report Cards will be mailed home on June 8th.  (If you would like the Honor
Roll Certificate, please come to
school after June 9th and pick it up…we did not want to put a crease in
it).

Congratulations to all of our 8th graders.  You will be missed.

Everyone, have a great summer!!  Don’t forget your required reading for the
summer!!  See you next year!

Respectfully,

Lynda Roser

Last Cub Reporter for the school year 2003-2004.

PTO NEWS

TO THE PARENTS OF CURRENT 7TH GRADERS - Next Year’s 8th Grade Trip
Each spring the current 7th grade students vote to decide where their 8th
Grade Trip will be for next year.  This year’s choices will include not
only the standard Day Trip options (theme parks in Orlando and Tampa), but
will include two unique 1 Night Trip options (Orlando and Atlanta).  Please
be aware that voting for a 1 Night trip will significantly increase the
cost per student and chaperone.  Voting ballots will be distributed  next
week  in the students '  PC class.  The students may vote for either the
Day Trip Choices or the 1 Night Trip Choices, but not both.  Packets will
be distributed in the fall with all the finalized details of the trip.  If
you have any questions or would like to provide assistance in any way for
the trip please contact the 8th Grade Trip Coordinator, Heidi Aaron at 878-
8768.

COBB EARNS OVER $250 IN BOX TOPS 4 EDUCATION
In 2004, with your help, Cobb was able to earn over $250 in a three week
period by collecting General Mills Box Tops for Education.  We got off to a
late start, but still did great.  It’s easy to do, easy to save and our
school gets real $$$money$$$ to help the PTO on school improvement
projects.
Summer is here and here’s your chance to save-up over the summer so you can
bring in lots of Box Tops for next year.  Just get a small sandwich bag and
toss those clipped BOX TOPS in and bring them in to school in the Fall.
You can also join the Booster Club by going on line at
www.boxtops4education.com.  As a Booster Club member you can check on our
school’s progress and even earn Cobb more money.  We get 100 bonus Box Tops
for having over 25 members!  It’s fun, it’s easy and it helps our shool.
If you want to know more, check out the web page above or call Kelly Dozier
385-8392.

Cobb will be offering the following Summer Camps.  Please email the sponsor
for more information.
Math Camps
June 7-10 and 14-17 [log in to unmask]
June 28- July 8
August 2-5
Conditioning Camp
June 7-10, 14-17, 21-24 and June 29-July 1
Color Guard
June 21-24
Band Camp
June 7 – July 15

IMMUNIZATIONS ARE NEEDED FOR KINDERGARTEN AND SEVENTH GRADE ATTENDANCE!
If your child will be attending kindergarten or seventh grade next school
year, please be certain that he/she has all of the immunizations needed for
school entry.  Documentation of needed immunizations must be on file at
your child's school.  Needed immunizations may be obtained from your
child's health care provider or free of charge at the Leon County Health
Department.  To schedule an immunization appointment at the Health
Department, please call 487-3155.
In accordance with Florida State Statute (s. 1003.22, F.S.), your child may
be temporarily excluded from attendance if he/she is not in compliance.
Furthermore, the parents are responsible for assuring that the child is in
compliance.