CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 10:21:17 -0400
CUB REPORTER
May 6, 2003
Email address-cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us

Greetings Parents & Students,
Let me brag on our students, teachers and parents for a few
moments.  We just received this very important information on our
students’ academic growth in the 2002-2003 Data Book.  Do you
remember at the beginning of every school year how I make a
promise to you, that on the average, every child will make at least one
years’ worth of academic gain?  Well, this is measured by NCE
scores (Normal Curve Equivalent Growth Data).  Any score that is 0 or
higher, indicates a year’s worth of growth.  Our Mean Reading  NCE
Score was 3.3.  This score is higher than any middle school, high
school, or elementary school in the Leon County School District.  Our
Mean Math NCE Score was 4.1.  This math gain is higher than any
middle school or high school in the district.  The data strongly
supports Cobb’s efforts of educating the whole child, that all teachers
are teachers of reading and math; and that the arts and electives are
imperative in a child’s academic success.  Parents, you were part of
the process, and we applaud you, the students, and our teachers.
Way to go Cobb family!!!!
8th Grade FCAT Writing scores will go home today.
If you haven’t noticed the new landscaping on the Miccosukee side of
Cobb, drive by and take a look.  Our PTO, specifically Margaret Bryant,
has been extremely busy beautifying this area.  A special thanks to
Mrs. Bryant for doing all that work, Donna Legare and Jodi Walthall of
Native Nurseries for the plans, Susan McCloud for the Beauty Berry,
and to all of those who helped with this endeavor.  We try to be good
community neighbors and want everyone to have pride in our schools.
Cobb has a lot of Cub PRIDE!!
Good news to report on a statewide math contest. The Florida
Mathematics League sponsored this contest.  Our 8th  grade team of
Stephen Holland, Lisa Sawicki, Karynn Schmidt, Keisin Wang and
Brian Wheeler placed 22nd in the whole state.  Our 6th  graders did
even better. Brandon Davis, Michael Figgers, Graham Hawkes, Huong
Le, and David Keller placed 1st in Northwest Florida and 11th  in the
whole state. Graham Hawkes placed 2nd  in our region and 3rd  in the
state. Huong Le was 3rd  in our region.  Congratulations to all the
students who participated. We are very proud of you!
Congratulations to the Cobb Golf Team, they placed fourth in the
district playoff.
The Tallahassee United Futbol Club Under 12 Boys, won the Region
D Championship for the state of Florida and was one of four Florida
teams competing for the President's Cup.  John Sweat, 6th grader,
plays center mid on the team and scored a goal during the Regional
Championship.
On May 1st  four of Cobb's eighth grade girls attended the Legacy of
Excellence Law Day Program sponsored by the Tallahassee Women
Lawyers.  The students had to write an essay on "What Does Equality
Mean to You and How Do You Promote Equality in Your Community
and School?"  They were selected for this opportunity based on the
quality of their essays.  Birausha McLeod, Stacey Hutchison, Anum
Chaudry, and Sarah Fernald were invited to attend this event.
Congratulations to all of these young ladies who are winners of the
2003 Legacy of Excellence Law Day Program.  We are so proud of
you!!
Students, do you think you might be interested in Law Enforcement or
Related Field?  If you have completed the 8th grade, are 14-21 years
old, have a GPA of 2.0 or higher, are of good moral character, good
citizenship, and no criminal history, you are eligible to apply.  The Leon
County Sheriff’s Office, in cooperation with the Boy Scouts of America
Learning for Life Program, is proud to offer a career-oriented program
called Law Enforcement Explorers.  Participants receive training that
provides them with information about most aspects of law
enforcement.  Participants attend weekend delegate meetings during
the months of September, December, and March, and a weeklong
state convention in June.   These are held at alternating locations
throughout the state.  In addition to the training, there are recreational
activities, such as movies, bowling, dances, and other special events
offered.  If you believe you might be interested in law enforcement or a
related field, and want to participate, call any of the following for further
information:  Sheriff’s Office Prevention and Resource Unit, 922-3323,
Explorer Senior Advisor Deputy Jamie Meeks, Chiles High School,
488-6817, or Explorer Associate Advisor Deputy Elethia Chase,
Deerlake Middle School, 922-6545.
Please mark your calendar now to give input for our School
Improvement Plan for next year.  The input day will be Wed. May 14th
from 11:30 until 2:30.  You can send your input via email to any SITE or
SAC member,  fax  the school at 922-2452,   stop by that day, or
call/email  me.  We value your input.
Lots of activities are taking place now.  Each grade level is having
cookouts for the students, plans are underway for shutting down the
school for the summer (see next Cub Reporter for all end of year
dates), and dances and trips are happening weekly.
This week is Teacher Appreciation Week, May 5-9.  Please take a
moment to thank the teachers for all they do for your children.  We
have so many things to be thankful for in this great country, and public
education is definitely one of those blessings.
As always, thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser

LAST Cub Reporter Will Go Home Tuesday, May 20, 2003
A Cub Claws Newsletter will be mailed home towards the end of the
school year.

Announcing the 2003 Starry Night Eighth Grade Dance

WHEN:  Friday, May 23, 2003     7:30 – 10:30 p.m.
WHERE: Los Robles Women’s Club
 (just inside Los Robles subdivision at Thomasville & Meridian)
WHO: All appropriately dressed 8th  graders who have purchased
tickets
in advance.
ATTIRE: Boys – Dress pants, khakis, dress shirt (tie optional).
 Girls – Dressy/Sunday-best dresses or pants suits.
   No jeans or T-shirts!
TICKETS: Go on sale in the cafeteria the week of the dance,
   May 19 – 23.  NO TICKETS AT THE DOOR!
COST: $10 covers refreshments and DJ.
 Cash or check made out to Cobb Middle School PTO.
PICTURES: Packages:
A  -  2-8x10's, 4-5x7's, 40 wallets $50.00
B  -  2-8x10's, 2-5x7's 24 wallets  $40.00
C  -  4-5x7's, 24 wallets      $35.00
D  -  1-8x10, 2-5x7's, 16 wallets   $30.00
E  -  2-5x7's, 16 wallets          $25.00
F  -  2-5x7's, 8 wallets         $20.00
G  -  16 wallets                    $20.00
H  -  2-4x5's, 4 wallets            $15.00
I  -  8 wallets                     $15.00
J  -  1-4x5, 2 wallets              $15.00
K  -  8x10's only                   $15.00

BEHAVIOR:  Inappropriate behavior or suggestive dancing will result
in dismissal from the dance.  Please be polite and respectful on this
very special night.  No limousines!  No backpacks!

COBB SUMMER CAMPS
Cobb will be offering the following Camps this summer.  For more
information contact the school at 488-3364 or email the individual
sponsor.

Math Camp - June 9-19 (Monday-Thursday) Sponsor Leslie Carlile
Math Camp – July 21-31 (Monday-Thursday) Sponsor Melanie Rentz
Advanced Math Camp – August 4-7 Sponsor Bob Coleman
Conditioning Camp – June 9-July 7 (Monday-Thursday) Sponsor Doug
Cook ([log in to unmask])
Reading and Writing for Comprehensive – June 9-June 19 & June
30-July 10 (Monday-Thursday) Sponsor Teena Ketchum
Band Camp – June 9-26 (Monday-Thursday) Sponsor Bill Miller
Cobb Color Guard Camp-June 13-26 Sponsor Ms. Rentz/Ms.
Ketchum([log in to unmask] or