CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2005 07:34:36 -0400
Elizabeth Cobb Middle School
July 28, 2005

Dear Parents and Students,

Welcome to the 2005-06 school year at Cobb Middle School.    I am excited
and looking forward to being your new Principal.  I am pleased to lead a
school that has been successful in the past and continues to be an “A”
school.  I hope you are having a wonderful summer and are ready for the
upcoming school year.  I am certainly looking forward to you being here.

School begins on Monday, August 15, and the school hours for students are
7:30 a.m. to 1:50 p.m. Supervision will be provided from 7:00 a.m. until
2:20 p.m.  On the first day of school, students will bring home an
information package with many important forms and documents.  Please look
for this package.  Orientation for new students is Friday, August 12, at
10:00 a.m. in the gym.

During the summer we have been working on our literacy plan, our school
improvement plan, and teacher preparation to increase student performance.
Our main goals for the 2005-2006 school year include:
 * increase students’ reading, writing, science, and math skills
 * increase students’ learning in a clean and safe environment
 * increase student’s awareness of health and physical activity
*continue professional development for faculty in researched based reading,
math, science, technology and critical thinking strategies
*continue to increase the involvement of parents, guardians, and community
resources as active partners in achieving successful student performance
 * continue to implement Applied Science and Technology Magnet
Program
 * continue (Improving Student Achievement through Collaboration for
Accreditation) ISAC

The 2004-2005 School Public Accountability Report (SPAR) for Cobb will be
available after August 10th for viewing at the school or can be viewed on-
line at www.leon.k12.fl.us/SPAR/.  The information in this report includes
important information about your child’s school, including:  test scores,
enrollment, and student discipline incidents.  It also includes information
on teachers having advanced degrees, teachers out-of-field and evaluation
statistics; school-community learning environment survey results; school
improvement plan results; advisory committee make-up; and adult literacy
program information.  We encourage your participation and input with regard
to our continuing school improvement efforts.

If you did not receive a grade level supply list, please visit our web site
at www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us or stop by the school and pick up a copy.  Also,
if you shop at Office Depot, be sure to tell them Cobb is your school for
the “5% Back to Schools” program.   The first week of school, all students
will need to purchase an Agenda Book for $4.00.  Please read the front
pages very carefully with your child.  We have found that the Agenda Book
(the same one they use at the high schools) is an extremely effective tool
to help keep students organized.  The Agenda Book will be on sale at New
Student Orientation on August 12.

Cobb has a Listserv, a free program that automatically disseminates a
single e-mail message.  It has been set up to share information to parents
from Cobb by e-mail, but isn’t intended as a forum of dialogue between
subscribers.  To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following
internet address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/ Click on the “CMS-PARENTS” link and then
select “Join or leave the list (or change settings).” In the next window
you will be asked for your e-mail address and name. Next, click “Join CMS-
PARENTS” and accept the other default settings.  Once you have signed-up to
receive the mailing, you will receive a confirmation request email that you
must reply to, to confirm your identity and prevent third parties from
subscribing you to a list against your will. Simply wait for this message
to arrive, and then follow the instructions to confirm the operation.  I
strongly encourage you to sign up if you have access to email.

I have included some pertinent information on the back of this letter to
help answer questions you may have. Enjoy your last few days of summer
vacation and come back ready for an exciting year at Cobb Middle School.  I
look forward to working with each of you!!  See you on August 15th!!!

Sincerely,

Shannon Meeks
Principal

Mark your calendar for these important dates:
 August 12 – New Student Orientation 10:00 A.M. Gym
 August 24 – School Pictures
 September 8 - Open House 7:00 P.M.