CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 10:35:53 -0400
CUB REPORTER
April 6, 2004
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
                            “Building the Future Together”
Dear Students and Parents,
   Welcome to the last nine weeks of the 2003-2004 School Year.  What an
action packed two months is planned.  Report cards went home on Friday and
the majority of report cards were excellent.  A few of the report cards
show students need to buckle down and get to work in order to have enough
points to pass.  Remember, there is NO SUMMER SCHOOL!!
   Girls Softball has already started and Track starts tonight with the
first meet being held at Godby High School.  Please come out and support
our teams in their athletic adventures.
   Teachers continue to participate in in-service with learning reading
strategies to help all students.  Classes are taking place every Monday and
Wednesday after school.  In addition, teachers are beginning to learn about
wireless laptop computers.  Many of you are aware that we already have
three wireless labs…..but keep your fingers crossed for more to arrive at
Cobb next year.  In addition, we are adding the Pearsons learning product
to our lab for students who score in Level 1 on the FCAT.
   Our Climate Survey results have returned and I would like to thank all
of the students, parents and staff for their input.  We have read all of
the surveys and have taken your suggestions to heart.  Thank you for all
that you do.
   Congratulations to Bridget Swingle for winning the City-wide Writing
Contest with her essay entitled “What I Love Doing with My Family”.  We are
so proud of you.
   Office Depot is giving 5% back to schools when you buy supplies, etc.
Please give them Cobb’s ID Number 70024005.  Every little bit helps and we
certainly appreciate your support.
   All 8th graders should have signed the CRF (Course Request Forms) for
high school for next year.  All CRFs’ for 8th graders were due last
Friday.  All current 6th and 7th graders will get their CRF towards the end
of April, and will be due April 29 or April 30. Our Curriculum Fair will be
held Tuesday evening on April 27th.  Mark your calendars now.
   The 6th graders are getting ready to go to the Challenger Center in mid-
April.  This is truly an exciting field trip and we are all looking forward
to this adventure.
  Our next PTO meeting is at noon on April 13th.   The School Improvement
Workshop is on April 19th and we are still looking for some more parents to
get involved with our School Advisory Council.  If you are interested,
please contact Mrs. Margaret Bryant.
  As always, thanks for your support.

Sincerely,

Lynda Roser,
Principal

              Calendar of Events:
April 7 Girls Softball at Lincoln 6:00
April 12 Girls Softball at Messer 6:00
April 13 PTO 12 Noon in the Cobb Mtg. Rm.
April 13 Track Meet at Leon 5:30
April 14 Girls Softball at Leon 7:30
April 19 Boys Golf Hilaman Park 9:00
April 20 Track Meet at Lincoln 5:30
April 21 Progress Reports scheduled to go home

Cobb will be offering the following Summer Camps.  Please email the sponsor
for more information.
Math Camps
June 7-10 and 14-17 [log in to unmask]
August 2-5
Reading & Writing for Comprehensives
June 7-10 and 14-17
Conditioning Camp
June 7-10, 14-17, 21-24 and June 29-July 1
Color Guard
June 21-24
Band Camp
June 7 – July 15

               The Next Cub Reporter will go home on April 20, 2004

   April 2004
BE SUN SAFE!
Looking our best is important for all of us.  When we look good we feel
good.  Unfortunately, many of us believe we look better with a suntan.  The
bad news is that this way thinking may cause one in five of us to develop
skin cancer at some point in our life.  The good news is that the vast
majority [of skin cancer types] is entirely preventable.
Most people are not aware that not only can overexposure to the sun result
in painful sunburn, but also can lead to serious health problems, including
melanoma, which is the deadliest form of skin cancer.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, here are some facts you
should know:
• Skin cancer is more common that all other types of cancer combined.
• One or two blistering sunburns during childhood may double the risk
of melanoma later in life.
• Overexposure to the sun may lead to skin cancer, cataracts, immune
system suppression, and premature aging of the skin.

Leon County Schools Health & Nursing Services suggests the following
precautions to prevent sun-related problems now and later in life.  Started
early and followed consistently, each of these will become an easy,
accepted habit, no more bothersome than fastening seatbelts every time you
get in a car.
• Wear sunglasses that block 99-100% of UV radiation.  Sunglasses
that provide 99-100% UVA and UVB protection will greatly reduce sun
exposure that can lead to cataracts and other eye damage.
• Wear a hat with a wide brim.  A hat with a wide brim offers good
sun protection over eyes, ears, face, and the back of the neck.
• Protect other areas with clothing during prolonged periods in the
sun.  Tightly woven, loose-fitting clothes are best, but any clothing is
better than none at all.
• Always use sunscreen with an SFP (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or
higher.  A sunscreen with SPF of at least 15 blocks most of the harmful UV
rays.  Apply sunscreen liberally and often while outdoors.
• Limit time in the sun during the midday hours.  The sun’s UV rays
are strongest between 10 AM and 4 PM.  Seek shade when possible during
these hours.
Acute overexposure to the sun can cause a serious burn.  Unfortunately,
skin damage from the time spent in the sun accumulates and may not show its
effects for decades.  Three severe burns (painful burns that peel or cause
water blisters) anytime in our life increases our risk of developing
melanoma by as much as eight times.
Visit these web sites for more information:
• www.aad.org/skincnrUpdates.html
• www.maui.net/~southsky/introto.html
FOOD LABEL INFORMATION
Have you ever wondered what those definitions on food labels mean?  Here is
a brief review.
Calorie free - fewer than 5 calories per serving
Reduced calories - at least 25% fewer calories reference food
Fat free - less than 0.5 g fat per serving
Low fat - 3 g or less per serving; 2% milk can no longer be labeled low-
fat, as it exceeds 3 g per serving.
Reduced fat will be term used instead.
Reduced or less fat - at least 25% less fat per serving than reference food
Fat free does not mean calories free!
High fiber - 5 grams fiber or more per serving.  Foods making high-fiber
claims must also meet the definition for low fat, or the level of total fat
must appear next to the high fiber claim.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is also in the process of developing
standards for low carbohydrate foods.  For more information on this and to
find out other things going on related to food safety and nutrition, please
check out the following websites:
• www.fda.gov
• www.cfsan.fda.gov
• www.cdc.gov
• www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/educators
• www.dole5aday
The above information was provided to Leon County Schools by:
Delores Truesdell MS RD LD/N
President, Tallahassee Dietetic Association

                                PTO NEWS
            2004 8th Grade Springtime in Paris Dance
-WHEN:  Friday, May 14, 2004, 7:30 – 10:30 P.M.
-WHERE:  Los Robles Woman’s Club (just inside Los Robles at Thomasville &
Meridian)
-COST:  $12.00 covers refreshments and DJ (cash or checks made out to Cobb
PTO)
-WHO:  All appropriately dressed 8th graders who have purchased tickets in
advance
-ATTIRE:  Boys – dress pants, khakis, dress shirt (tie optional)
-Girls –semi-formal dresses, Sunday dress, or pant suits
-NO JEANS OR T-SHIRTS
-TICKETS:  Go on sale in the cafeteria April 19th, 20th and 21st
TICKETS WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE DOOR
-PICTURES:  Will be available and a flyer will go home with each purchased
ticket with package information and prices
-BEHAVIOR:  Inappropriate behavior or suggestive dancing will result in
dismissal from the dance.  Please be polite and respectful on this very
special night.
-No limousines or backpacks!!
  Any 8th grade parent that would like to chaperone, please call Gaye
Johnson, Dance Coordinator, 222-8118.
                             VOLUNTEERS
  We LOVE our Volunteers!!!...and to say “thank you” the PTO has a gift for
every volunteer who has donated at least 5 hours to Cobb this school year.
Please come by the front office and pick up your gift.
If you volunteered 5 or more hours and your name is not on the list with
the gifts, please call our Volunteer Coordinator, Denni Rae (385-1172), and
we can arrange to get a gift for you.