CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Mack, Frankie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:38:11 -0500
Greetings Parents & Students,

Congratulations to the Cobb MATHCOUNTS team. The local
competition was held Saturday, February 8th,  at the FSU-FAMU
Engineering Building. Cobb was represented by:  Siddharth
Chanpuriya, Brandon Davis, Michael Figgers, Graham Hawks, Neeti
Pradeep, Huong Le, Karynn Schmidt, and Keisin Wang.  The team of
Siddharth Chanpuriya, Neeti Pradeep, Karynn Schmidt, and Keisin
Wang placed 5th. The high individual was Keisin Wang who placed
7th.  Our second team ... all 6th graders, also did a very good job.
They were led by Graham Hawkes, who placed 23rd.  Congratulations
and a great big thank you to Mr. Coleman for leading our math
students!!

Congratulations to the Cobb chorus on their superiors at Solo and
Ensemble.  These groups were challenged not only with preparing for
the festival, but having to change groups and songs at the last minute
to accommodate the major absences that chorus felt during the flu
outbreak.  The judges were impressed with their tone and phrasing.
Way to go Cobb and Mrs. Drew!

Congratulations to our Black History Trivia Winners again this week.
Mrs. Hudgins, Dr. Flanagan & Mrs. Corbett's classes have won two
weeks consecutively.  Way to go!!

Parents, accompanied with the Cub Reporter today you should find a
Residence Survey Form provided by the county office.  This form is
part of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 which requires districts to
estimate the number of homeless children in our country.  If this form
is applicable to you, please complete and have your child return the
form to school.  If it is not applicable, please disregard.  Please be
advised that this information will be held in the strictest of confidence.

Attention All Parents:  If your child walks home by way of Miccosukee
Road towards the hospital, please be advised that we sent home a
notice on Monday (2/17) that informed students they are changing
traffic patterns for pedestrians.  Ask your child for a copy of this note,
please review with them, and ask them to be careful and obey the
crossing guards.  The new directions for which side of the street to
walk on will be in effect for several months.  Please help us to keep all
of our children safe.  Thanks!!

I promised you something for After School Programs....so here is a
brief description of all the new activities Cobb has to offer.  We will
continue the traditional  sports:  cross country, flag football, tackle
football, volleyball, basketball, soccer, softball, track, golf, and
cheerleading.  The clubs which we have offered for some time and will
continue:  Beta, Black History, Dance, Fellowship of Christian Athletes,
Fl. Future Educators of America, Human Relations, Mathcounts, Mu
Alpha Theta, Partnership in Math & Science, Student Government
Association, and Yearbook.  And, we continue to offer the Homework
Center Monday - Thursday.  Now, new clubs/activities:  Chess,
Conditioning, Drama, Exploration/Fun in Science, Garden, Rope
Jumping, Running, School Performance Troupe, SISTERS, Teen
Talent, and Technology.  Whew!!!  All of these activities take place at
Cobb, from 2-3:45 p.m., Monday-Thursday (may only meet one day per
week).  Students will receive flyers, can check the student bulletins, or
read the electronic bulletin board in the cafeteria to find out date and
location.  With all of these activities, everyone can find somewhere to
be accounted for and participate in academic, athletic, or just fun
activities.  No students will be allowed to just stay on campus and
hang out.  We are working on procedures to help keep our campus
safe for after school and we would appreciate parents picking up their
children immediately after activities.  Specific procedures will be
outlined for students' parents who are left on campus.

Finally, a special congratulations to Bridget Wingle, 6th grader, and
Melissa Peach, 8th grader, who won the Short Story Writing Contest
sponsored by the Leon County Reading Council which was open to all
k-12 students.  We are so proud of your writing skills.  Their stories
were "A Trip to the Dentist," and "Roses for James".  Great job writing
ladies!!

As always, thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser

Next Cub Reporter Tuesday, March 4, 2003

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
SPORTS
Boys Basketball  Games:           Girls Soccer Games:
  2/18/03 6:30 at Cobb                  2/19/03 7:30 at Tom Brown Park
  2/19/03 6:30 at Nims

HOMEWORK CENTER
February 17-19; 24-27
March 3 and 6

School Activities
2/20 Cobb Science Expo
2/28 Black History Assemblies
3/4-5/03 FCAT Reading and Math

EVERYONE IS INVITED TO THE "COBB SCIENCE EXPO"
February 20
6:00-8:00 P.M.
Cobb Middle School Gymnasium
Fun Science Activities for the ENTIRE family!!