CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Mack, Frankie" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:49:25 -0500
Greetings Parents & Students,

 Congratulations to Jason Brigham who represented Cobb at the
Leon County Tropicana Speech contest on January 25th. Jason won
first place, competing against 15 other middle school speakers. He
won a plaque and a week's all expense paid trip to 4-H Summer
Camp.  Jason's honor brings with it a large county trophy that will be
kept in Cobb's trophy case until next year.  We are very proud of Jason!

  Do you know what a decaliter is? Can you spell words like
constituency and savvy? During  Leon County's Spelling Bee, 47
school winners were asked to spell words many adults would have a
difficult time spelling.   Congratulations to Tiffany Murphy, our school
representative who did a fabulous job.  Her parents were all smiles
and obviously very proud of their daughter at this event.  Be sure and
congratulate Tiffany on her effort!

On Saturday (January 25th), Cobb was very well represented at a
statewide math contest. This contest was held at Chiles High School.
There were 40 teams at the competition from all over Florida and
Alabama. Over 1100 students participated in this competition.

The Geometry team of Lisa Sawicki, Karynn Schmidt, Angela Smith
and Keisin Wang placed 24th. Lisa Sawicki was our high individual
placing 68th.

In Algebra I, the team of Siddarth Charhuriya, Levon Hoomes, Carilyn
Powers and Neeti Pradeep finished in 10th place. Our high individual
was Siddarth Charhuriya, who finished 21st. The highest finisher
among our 7th graders was Megan Case, who came in 63rd.

Congratulations to all the students who participated. We are very
proud of you!

All Algebra and Geometry Students are reminded of the next Mu Alpha
Theta contest. This will be February 8th at Chiles High School.  All
Algebra and Geometry students are invited.

Cobb Math Teams are Great!!

On  January  25, 2003, Cobb Middle School was represented by three
great students at the Youth Crime Watch Summit. Maurice Smith, Naa
Naa Roberts and Tanisha Duncan attended the summit along with
Deputy Jim Tyson. The summit was an orientation to Youth Crime
Watch. The Leon County Sheriff's Office in conjunction with Leon
County Schools are going to implement the Youth Crime Watch
program in each of the schools in Leon County. The students learned
about how to start such a program at Cobb. The program's goal is  to
reduce crime and increase student involvement in the prevention of
such crimes.

Parents, we have just received some additional dollars for after school
programs.  Be on the lookout for some new and exciting news to be
posted in the classrooms in the next week or so.

As always, thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser
Principal

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
FLU TIME
TIPS FROM COBB  MIDDLE SCHOOL AND THE
LEON COUNTY SCHOOLS NURSING SERVICES
-Keep student(s) home if running fever, headache, nausea, vomiting,
aching, or any flu symptoms.
 -Students will be sent home with temperature of 99.9 or above or
experiencing any of the above
   symptoms.  Student(s) must be fever free (99.9 or above) for 24
hours before returning.  Students
   will  be sent home if returning with a temp of 99.9 or above
-Make contact with Dr.
-Drink lots of liquid.
-Wash hands frequently.
-No eating or drinking after others.

Due to the number of students that have been sent home ill this week,
we are asking you to please take note of the above tips.  Also,
students will be allowed to make up any work missed while absent.
Upon returning, student should check with the teacher for make up
work.

                                          SAFETY ISSUE REMINDER
Parents, please use the student pick-up/drop-off on Lucy Street off of
Hillcrest.
For student safety, please do not drop off across the street from Cobb,
but use  the designated student pick-up area only.  Thank You.

Next Cub Reporter will be sent home Tuesday, February 18, 2003

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
SPORTS
Goys Basketball  Games:    Girls Soccer Games:
  2/5/03 6:30 at Fairview  2/52/03 6:00 at Tom Brown Park
   2/11/03 6:30 at Swift Creek  2/10/03 6:00 at Tom Brown Park
    2/18/03 6:30 at Cobb  2/12/03 6:00 at Messer Park

HOMEWORK CENTER
February 4-6; 11-13; 17

SCHOOL ACTIVITIES
February 11 FCAT
February 12 - Progress Reports go home

PTO NEWS

Calling all volunteers!  Anyone who has volunteered this year
(2002-03),
please don't forget to fill out a Volunteer Application in the front office.

You also need to record your hours in the Volunteer Book in the front
office.
 These hours earn Cobb the Golden School Award.  Please, get those
hours
logged in.  If you need to know what counts as volunteer hours, there
is a
time sheet in the front of the volunteer book which states what counts.
Please, help Cobb earn this award!

Thanks!  Denni Rae, Volunteer Coordinator