CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 09:58:05 -0400
CUB REPORTER
                                May 17, 2005
      http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us    http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
                   “Building the Future Together”
Greetings Parents and Students:
   This concludes the last Cub Reporter for the 2004-2005 school year.  I
would like to thank everyone for a wonderful year.  It has been a hectic
yet rewarding school year.  The students have been wonderful and have
excelled academically and in sports.  8th grade students in Leon County
scored 3rd highest in the State of Florida.    Leon County’s 3rd graders
also scored 3rd in the State while our 10th graders scored 1st.  All of the
teachers and administrators agree that we could not score at the highest
levels if we didn’t have the best parents and students.  So, we thank you
and thank you for entrusting us with your children.  The journey has been
most rewarding.  To our 8th graders, we say good-bye and we will miss you
as you begin your journey into high school.  We know that you are ready for
this next academic move, but don’t forget us at middle school.  You will be
missed!  You have been a great group of young people.
   Congratulations to Mrs. Bev Simpkins for winning the 2005 Literacy Award
from the Leon County Reading Council.  She was given this prestigious award
for exemplifying a true commitment to literacy in our community.  We are so
proud of you.
   Congratulations to Mrs. Jan Graham who has just been notified that she
has met the University of Kansas requirements to become a Content
Enhancement Trainer.  This program was extremely rigorous and we are so
very proud of her.  She will continue to work with the Cobb faculty to help
us utilize reading research strategies that will help all children increase
their reading skills.
   Congratulations to the Cobb Chorus!! The concert and musical was the
best ever!!!  Thank you Mrs. Drew.
   Our TOPS award winner is Brandon.  He is an outstanding young man with
strong academics and excellent behavior.  Way to go Brandon!!
   Thanks to the Garden Club and its members for completing their
fundraising and their yearly student project.  This year they made an
adorable Flower Pot Man which lounges in the Shade Garden outside of the
main hall windows.  He offers both seeds and water to our feathered friends
in addition to making all of us smile.  Thanks Mrs. Oliveri and Mrs.
Hammons for our new addition.
   The 8th grade dance was a huge success.  Thanks to all of the parents
and staff for the entire 8th grade activities.
   If you would like to view the School Financial Request for any school,
please go to the link on the Leon County School Board Web page:
http://www.leon.k12.fl.us/Public/Business/Finance/AcctAct05/acctact.htm.
   OK…….on to the “stuff” you need to know for the rest of the year.
5/17 Band Concert    7-8 p.m.
5/18 8th Grade Awards 6:30-8 p.m.
5/18   The 2004 & 2005 football and basketball teams will celebrate their
championship season before the 8th grade ceremony.  The celebration will be
held in the cafeteria from 2-4 p.m.  Please stop by if you have time.
5/19 SIP (School Improvement Plan) Input Day  12-2 p.m.
 If you have any comments, interest, or items that you would like to
be considered to be included in our SIP for 05-06, please stop by the main
conference room during this time, or email any SITE member, or send us a
fax at 922-2452.   We would love to have your input.
 8th grade Ice Cream Social  1 p.m.
5/20   8th Grade Academic Honor Roll Activity
5/23   Clean out lockers
5/24   Lockers must be cleaned out – will be bolted down
        NO MORE BOOKBAGS on campus
 2nd period – 8:30 a.m. 6th Grade Awards
 4th period – 10:40 a.m. 7th Grade Awards
5/25 Exams for Periods 1 & 2
5/26 Exams for Periods 3 & 4
5/27 Exams for Period 5 & 6
 EARLY RELEASE DAY – Students are released at 11:20
 LAST DAY FOR STUDENTS
5/30  Memorial Holiday – No School
5/31-6/1 Teacher Planning Day
6/9   Report Cards will be mailed home
   We do not know yet about FCAT scores.  All  Leon County Middle Schools
will send them home at the same time.  The middle school scores have not
arrived yet.  Once they arrive the decision will be made to either send
them home or mail them with the report cards.  We will notify those members
on listserve of that decision (still not too late to sign up on our web
page).
   Once again, thanks for being the best parents and students in the world.

Lynda Roser, Principal
                          HAVE A SAFE AND WONDERFUL SUMMER
    To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following internet
     address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/.

   Cobb will be offering the following Summer Camps.  Please email the
sponsor for more information.
Math Camps
June 6-16 [log in to unmask]
July 5-14 [log in to unmask]
August 2-5 [log in to unmask]

Band Camp
June 6 – 30 [log in to unmask]

Reading for Comprehension
July 5 – 14 [log in to unmask]

Conditioning Camp
June 6-30 [log in to unmask]

6th grade Technology/Magnet Camp
July 25-28  [log in to unmask]

PTO NEWS
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

The PTO has done many projects, fundraisers, activities and celebrations
for Cobb Middle School’s teachers and students.  Please pat yourself on the
back and give yourself a round of applause for helping us accomplish so
much.

We do still have a few programs to staff and I would appreciate some
volunteers to call me at 385-7749 or email [log in to unmask]
Let’s finish the year off with a bang!
• Volunteers to work a shift of serving cake and punch during the 8th
grade Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, May 18th from 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm in the
gymnasium.   (Usually 7th grade parents serve as a courtesy to allow 8th
grade parents enjoy the program!)
• Volunteers to serve ice cream on Thursday, May 19th from 12:45 pm –
1:45 pm for 8th grade citizenship awards.  We’ll even let you scoop out a
serving for yourself!
• Congratulations to Harriet Williams for volunteering to be the PTO
President in 2005-2006.
• Positions are still available for Vice-President, Treasurer, and
Secretary of the PTO.  There are lots of areas to serve as chairman and
give of your time.  Please let us know if you want to join a great group of
volunteers.  Many hands lessen the load!
• Wow oh Wow!  The 8th Grade Field trip to Atlanta was perfect due to
the coordinated efforts of Heidi Aaron and her chaperones!  The 7th graders
are planning their trip for next year soon!
• Great job to the Committee that assisted Terri Gross for a
successful 8th Grade Dance!  The Masquerade Ball was a beautiful way to end
the 8th graders days at Cobb and send them off to high school.
• Parents of the Cobb football and basketball teams can join their
sons for a fun awards, pizza and end-of-the-year celebration on Wednesday,
May 18th from 2 pm – 4 pm.  Contact Coach Cook at school if you can attend
or contribute to the celebration.  [log in to unmask]
Thanks to everyone for your help!  Go Cobb Cubs!

Laura Rogers
PTO President

                       BOX TOPS

   As the volunteer coordinator for Box Tops for Education at Cobb Middle
School, I’d like to thank you for your help during the 2004 – 2005 school
year. Last year, my first at Cobb, we collected about $250 worth of Box
Tops. Thanks to school supporters like you, this year we’ve been able to
collect over 5000 Box Tops raising more than $500 for our school!
   This year’s challenge was for the three top collecting Peer Counseling
classes to have a donut party on May 18th.  All Box Tops have been counted
and congratulations go to Mrs. S. Davis – 509, Mrs. Simpkins – 429, and
Mrs. Parrott – 266.
  Even though the school year is coming to an end, you can continue to make
a difference for our school all summer long. One easy way to make a
difference is to join the Box Tops for Education Booster Club(sm) at
boxtops4education.com. Registration takes only a few minutes and membership
is so rewarding. Get money-saving coupons, easy mealtime solutions,
exclusive access to the Box Tops Marketplace(sm), and so much more. Best of
all, it’s absolutely free!   As a Booster Club member, you have two easy
ways to make a difference for our school through everyday activities like
buying groceries, and shopping online – all at no additional cost to you.
   CLIP - Clip Box Tops from hundreds of your favorite products found
throughout the grocery store and save them over the summer in a marked
envelope or baggie which you can hang on your refrigerator, bulletin board
or other convenient spot in your kitchen.  When school starts in the Fall,
send them to school.  Each Box Top is worth 10 cents when our school
redeems them from General Mills.
   SHOP - Start every online shopping trip at the Box Tops Marketplace at
boxtops4education.com. You’ll find favorite stores like JC Penney and
Lands’ End. Up to 8% of every qualifying purchase goes back to our school.
Watch our school’s progress online throughout the year. Remember to check
back often at boxtops4education.com for the latest news and information
about the Box Tops program.
   Thank you for helping to earn more cash for our school through Box Tops
for Education.

Kelly Dozier, Box Tops 4 Education Coordinator