CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:35:25 -0500
PTO meeting today, December 9, at 12:00

                        CUB REPORTER
                       December 9, 2003
                http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
               http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
                “Building the Future Together”

Dear Students & Parents,
     The Book Fair and Science Fair were truly a success.  The students and
staff were in awe of the Book Fair and how literature can open up new doors
for your mind.  Congratulations to Kathleen Park, the winner of the $25
gift certificate at our Thursday night Family Event!  The Science Fair
showcased all of the exciting research that takes place in the world of
science.  It is truly wonderful to see so many young people involved in a
great education.
     Congratulations to ALL Science winners: Behavioral Science-Sarah
Lacombe(6th Gr.1st), Donna Moore(6th Gr.2nd), Cory Malone(6th Gr. 3rd),
Geoffrey Linn(7th Gr. 1st), Jason Brigham(7th Gr. 2nd), Julie Ragsdale(7th
Gr. 3rd), Ken Winger(8th Gr. 1st), Maggie Hodges (8th Gr. 2nd); Botany-
Sarah Karsh(6th Gr. 1st), Cliff Curvey(6th Gr. 2nd), Jasper Liburn(6th Gr.
3rd), Diana Ortiz(th Gr. 2nd), Sara King(8th Gr. 1st); Biochemistry-Lauren
Dempsey(6th Gr. 1st), Anthony Mederos(6th Gr. 2nd) , Danielle Dozier(6th
Gr, 3rd), Connor McBride(7th Gr. 1st), Jeremy Rush(8th Gr. 1st), Jenny Foltz
(8th Gr. 2nd); Chemistry-Sarah Coven & Logan Reid (tied for 6th gr. Grand
Prize), Chelsea Young(6th Gr. 2nd), Anthon Oliveri(6th Gr. 3rd), Bradley
Jonnson(7th Gr. 1st), Stephanie Hunter & Caitlin Kriebel (tied for 8th gr.
Grand Prize), Brittany Young(8th Gr. 2nd), Alex Turner(8th Gr. 3rd);
Environmental Science-David Friedman(6th Gr. 1st), Chason Godwin/Joe
Alexionak(7th Gr. 1st), Casey Hutcheson(8th Gr. 1st), Erin Hamilton(8th Gr.
2nd), Joshua Singletary(8th Gr. 3rd); Medicine/Health-Laura Sheffield(8th
Gr. 1st), Jeremy Katz & Kevin Galutera (8th Gr, tied 2st), Nicole Nation
(8th Gr. 3rd); Microbiology-Jonathan Carasco(6th Gr. 1st), Jadon
Stringfellow(6th Gr. 2nd), Jason Blackwood(6th Gr. 3rd); Mathematics-
Melissa Campbell(8th Gr. Grand Prize Winner); Physics-Hilary Clark(6th Gr.
1st), Emily Vogelgesang (6th Gr. 2nd), Hannah Aaron (6ht Gr. 3rd), Zach
Bodin (7th Gr. 1st), Courtney Warren (7th Gr. 2nd), Allison Ashcroft &
Charlotte Murrell (8th Gr. Grand Prize), Carrol Hylton (8th Gr. 2nd), Cody
Strauss (8th Gr. 3rd); Zoology-Kathleen Park (6th Gr. 1st), Ariele Hynes
(6th Gr. 2nd), and Lauren Riner(6th Gr. 3rd).
     Congratulations to all of the students who passed the qualifying test
for the Brain Bowl.  Cobb has a long tradition of excelling academically,
so the pressure is on our school.  Good luck team members!
Congratulations to Cobb’s Math Students-On Saturday, November 22nd, a large
group of Cobb students competed in a Mu Alpha Theta math contest at Chiles
High School. About 600 students from high schools, middle schools and
elementary schools in Tallahassee were there. For those of you that don’t
know, Mu Alpha Theta is a HIGH SCHOOL math club. Cobb participated in the
Geometry, Algebra I and Pre-Algebra divisions.  The Geometry team brought
honors because of Meagan Davis, Josh McLawhorn, Carilyn Powers, and Neeti
Pradeep 10th.  The high individual was Meagan Davis who finished 39th. In
Algebra I, the team of Brandon Davis, Michael Duckett, Houng Le, and Graham
Hawkes finished in 4th place and missed getting a trophy by just five
points. As individuals, Brandon Davis was 17th, Graham Hawkes was 21st,
Houng Le was 27th, and Michael Duckett placed 29th.  In the Pre-Algebra
contest Cobb had a number of high individuals (there was no team contest).
Congratulations to Kathleen Park who finished 8th and Thomas Frey who
placed 10th. Both of these students received awards. Also placing highly
were Nina Hightman (11th), Joe Alexionok (12th), Brandon Myrick (13th), and
Shelby Trombly (18th).  Congratulations to all the students who
participated. We are very proud of you! Also thanks to all the teachers and
administrators who were there. The next contest will be in January when we
travel to Ft. Walton Beach.  Cobb Math Teams are great!!  Thanks Mr.
Coleman, you are the best!!
 Congratulations to Darius Dupins, Darian Hands, Darius Hands,
Kathleen Pak and Alex Turner for representing Cobb at the Black History
Brain Bowl competition on Saturday, December 6.  Eight county and regional
High Schools and Middle Schools competed.  Cobb defeated Fairview Middle
School and Lawton Chiles High School to place 2nd in the Region.  These
students did a stellar job!  Way to Cobb students and big Thank You to Ms.
Hudgins, sponsor for the Team.
      Looks like we are headed to District Playoffs for Girls’ Basketball
and Boys’ Soccer.  The Championship games are Tuesday December 9,  6:00  @
Chiles High for Boys Soccer and  Wednesday, Dec. 10th, 6:00 p.m. at
Rickards for Girls’ Basketball!!  See you there!
We had one more student make it to Choral Allstate….Jenny Foltz!  We are so
very proud of you, and for you.  See you in Tampa!!
A BIG welcome to Ms. Candice Mays to the Cobb family.  Ms. Mays is our new
Math teacher.
     *NEW READING PROGRAM - “Just Read, Families!  For the Holidays.”  This
website, www.justreadfamilies.org/fortheholidays , offers parents the tools
they need to nurture a reading-friendly environment at home during the
holidays.  Resources include links to county and municipal public
libraries, tips for parents on how to read well with children, and a list
of recommended books with holiday themes.
     This is the last Cub Reporter for the 2003 year.  The next Cub
Reporter will go home January 20th, 2004.  The Cub Claws will be mailed
home in January.
     The Cobb family wishes you and your family the happiest of holidays.
Take the time to enjoy your family and count your blessings over the Winter
Vacation.  We look forward to seeing you and working with you when students
return on Tuesday, January 6th.

Sincerely,

Lynda Roser, Principal

The next Cub Reporter will go home January 20, 2004

CALENDAR OF EVENTS
December  9 - Boys Soccer playoff, Cobb VS Griffin  6:00 P.m. at Chiles
High
December 9 – PTO 12 Noon
December 10 – Girls Basketball playoff, Cobb VS Griffin  6:00 at Rickards
High
December 11 – Math A Thon after school in gym
December 16 – Fall Concert (PTO will be selling Dinner before the Concert)
December 17-19 Early Release Days (dismissal time is 11:20)
December 19 – End of 1st Semester
January 6 – Students Return
January 12 – Reports Cards are scheduled to go home
January 27 – SAC meeting 12:15

PTO NEWS

DO YOU FEEL LEFT OUT OF THE LOOP?  Don't be left out . . . be a part of the
loop!  If you would like to receive emails notifying you of PTO-sponsored
activities -- monthly meetings, fundraisers, recognition programs, etc., --
simply send a brief email message to PTO President Meg Guyton at
[log in to unmask]  Your name will be added to our email address book.  Be
sure to write "Cobb PTO" in the subject line.  You'll never feel left out
again!  (Ms. Guyton)

COBB PIZZA SUPPER

Enjoy delicious Papa John’s Cheese & pepperoni Pizza

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 16
(The night of the Holiday Concert)
Pizza served from 5:30-7:00 P.M.

COME OUT AND SUPPORT OUR BAND AND CHORAL DEPARTMENTS!

No need to cook dinner

Pizza Dinner Tickets on Sale through Monday, December 15
During Lunch Periods In the Cobb Cafeteria

Price:  $3.00 per slice (includes soft drink!)
Desserts will be on sale for a small additional cost

Proceeds benefit Cobb PTO

PARENTS WE NEED YOUR HELP!
PLEASE DONATE A 12 PACK OF CANNED SOFT DRINKS TO PTO
OFFICE BY FRIDAY DECEMBER 12