CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
"Mrs. Meeks" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:40:25 -0500
Good Afternoon-
The month of February is very busy time for teachers and students. Here at
Cobb, we will be celebrating Black History month, preparing for FCAT
testing, welcoming the students shadowing the magnet program, and holding
important PTO and SAC meetings about the school renovation project that
will begin in late May.
On February 7, sixth and seventh grade students will be taking their third
Writes Upon Request assessment during their language arts classes.  You
will receive notification of your child’s score within the next few weeks.
In addition, we will be implementing PIRATES test-taking strategies in all
of our classes.  Using the PIRATES method, students will learn to Prepare
to Succeed; Inspect the instructions; Read, remember, reduce; Answer all
questions; Turn back; Evaluate; and Survey.  For more information about the
PIRATES test taking strategies you may access the PowerPoint presentation
on Cobb’s website at http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us/ .
The next PTO meeting will take place on February 21, 2006 at 6:00p.m.in the
media center.  At that time, EMO Architects will present their plans for
Cobb’s renovation project.  I am excited about the improvements that are in
store for our classrooms and the cafeteria.
 So far, we have had over 50 prospective students come to Cobb to learn
more about the Applied Science and Technology magnet program, and we still
have three more days for students to shadow the magnet program.  Remember
that March 1, 2006 is the application deadline for Leon County School
Choice program.  This program provides students the option to attend a
school that best meets their specific needs and maximizes their opportunity
to learn. If you are interested in knowing more about the Leon County
School Choice Program, contact the School Choice Office via phone at 487-
7546 or 414-5160 or on the web at www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us.
This year, we have planned several exciting activities throughout the month
in celebration of Black History Month.  On February 11, several of our
students will be competing in the Black History Brain Bowl at Rickards High
School.  Our culminating activity is Ethnic Unity Day on February 24.
Faculty, staff and students will have the opportunity to dress up in
traditional African attire and there will be a Black History assembly,
which will feature guest speaker Rep. Curtis Richardson.
Finally, February is also Volunteer Appreciation month. During this time of
the year, we have the opportunity to thank our volunteers for all the
outstanding things they do to make Cobb such a wonderful school.  If you
are interested making a difference in the lives of our students through
volunteering at our school, please contact Mr. Ansley at 488-3364 or

Have a wonderful weekend.

Shannon Meeks