CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 09:06:23 -0400
CUB REPORTER
September 21,  2004
http://www.cobb.leon.k12.fl.us    http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us
“Building the Future Together”

Greetings Parents and Families,

Greetings!  I hope everyone survived Hurricane Ivan with little to no
damage.  We certainly are wishing the best for all of our neighbors and
friends across the Panhandle and in the adjoining states.  Thanks to all of
the parents and students who helped out during these past two hurricanes.
I hope the notification on the listserve was helpful to you and your
families.

A lot of activities have been rescheduled: Wednesday night football
jamboree moved to Saturday; Thursday night volleyball moved to Monday
night; and Cross Country moved to Thursday, September 23rd.  So a lot of
activities are going on.  If you get a chance, please come out and support
the athletic program.

Update on hiring and schedule changes:  We have almost hired everyone and
hopefully by the next time you get the Cub Reporter on October 5th, we
should be finished with this process.  A great big thank you to all of the
students, parents and teachers for being so patient and understanding as we
go through this transition.  Growing pains!!

The Public Hearing on our School Improvement Plan (SIP) will be conducted
at 12:45 on Monday, September 27th in the conference room.  Many of you
gave input last year through SITE (School Improvement Team), SAC (School
Advisory Council), or just wrote in suggestions.  This document has been
written and revised by faculty and parents.  Thanks to everyone for their
help.  This final Public Hearing will take place during SAC so that our SIP
plan can be approved for the 2004-2005 school year.  We would love for you
to get involved with SAC at this meeting. If you signed up through one of
the sign up sheets, you should have already received emails and documents
pertaining to this meeting.  If you would like to be involved, but did not
sign up, just send me an email and we will forward all of this information
to you so can participate in the meeting.  Thanks!!

This year we have a few teachers who are out of field.  S. Davis, and D.
Lett, earned degrees in biology; K.  Jones degree is in social science; and
E. Harris’s degree is in Elementary.  We consider all of these teachers to
be highly qualified.

Strings Orchestra Class:  The Orchestra Class has begun meeting in room 109
on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We have quite a large group this year, but we
are always happy to let more in. If you have had one year of strings or any
private lessons on violin, viola, cello or bass come by and introduce
yourself to Mr. Gillis, the orchestra director. If you’re not sure about
the class, Mr. Gillis always welcomes visitors. Come by and see for
yourself all of the fun we're having and then decide if you would like to
join. All you need for the class is an instrument, a folding music stand
and a book. For more information please e-mail Mr. Gillis  at

Thanks to everyone for supporting the Kathryn Beich fundraiser.  PTO and
everyone should be very pleased with the outcome.  Look for more
information to come.  And, thanks to all of the parents who came to the PTO
meeting.  We certainly enjoyed having everyone at the meetings.

Thanks to all of the parents and students for coming out to Open House.
What a great time we had, from the hot dog dinner that PTO put on, to the
great singing conducted by Mrs. Drew and her students; to having all of the
parents following their children’s’ schedules; it was wonderful.  Thanks to
all of you for participating in your child’s education.

As always, thanks for your support.

Lynda Roser, Principal

Next Cub Reporter goes home on October 5th

To Subscribe to Cobb’s parents’ listserv, go to the following internet
address to view the “List Archives at LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US”.
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/ Click on the “CMS-PARENTS” link and then
select “Join or leave the list (or change settings)”. In the next window
you will be asked for your e-mail address and name. Next, click “Join CMS-
PARENTS” and accept the other default settings.  Once you have signed-up to
receive the mailing, you will receive a confirmation request email THAT YOU
MUST REPLY TO, to confirm your identity and prevent third parties from
subscribing you to a list against your will. Simply wait for this message
to arrive, and then follow the instructions to confirm the operation.

Calendar of Events and Sports:  9/30  Cross Country at Everhart
10:30
9/22 Girls Volleyball at Cobb 6:30  10/4 6th & 7th grade
screening
9/23 Writes Upon Request            Girls Volleyball
at Swift Creek 6:30
9/27  School Adv. Council  12:45  10/5  Football at Leon 7:30
9/27Girls Volleyball at Nims  6:30
9/29  Girls Volleyball at BellVue 6:30

  Elizabeth Cobb Middle School PTO

The Open House Hot Dog Sale was a success!  Thank you to Margo Alexionok
who chaired the Sale and the great volunteers that sold the hot dogs,
chips, and sodas.   We appreciate the following volunteers who gave their
time to help us:
Joe Alexionok, Patricia Hick, Alice Lawton, Mike Savage, Martha Cain,
Felicia Paramore, Susan Barrineau, Elana Anderson, Jan Dobson, Marie
Bradley, Mike Johnson, Jama Kinser-Manning, Rochel Abrams, Judy Royce,
Edith Victorine, Bart Ramos, Randi Webb, and Lura Wiley.  We appreciate all
the sodas that were sent in. Thank you for helping defray our costs! We
also appreciate the AWESOME   Mike McGee and the custodial staff for
helping us get the grill and setting up all the tables.

We have now changed some of our PTO meeting times and dates—so write these
down!

October     12th  7:00 pm
November   9th  1:00 pm
December      no meeting
January      11th  7:00 pm
February     8th  1:00 pm
March         8th  7:00 pm
April         12th  1:00 pm
May          10th  7:00 pm

Kathryn Beich Catalog Sale:  WOW! WOW! WOW!  Cobb parents really came
through and ordered a lot of items from the catalog!  We have sent the
order in and delivery is scheduled for OCTOBER 13th    Thank you to Denni
Rae, chairman of the fundraiser.  She needs contact volunteers to help
deliver!  Please email her at [log in to unmask] if you can assist
that day to help distribute the boxes to the students.  If you had a very
large order that might be difficult for your child, please make
arrangements to pick it up that day with Denni.

Directory Sales:  Erin Levin did a great job putting together the student
directory with the forms that were returned by the August 31st deadline.
Some forms were not turned in on time and the names were not listed.  We
are sorry that we could not include them in the bound directory. The
directory is available for sell for $3.  Please send in a check to the PTO
with your child’s name and peer counselor for us to get them one.  We are
delivering the ones that were prepaid to the students if they were not
picked up at Open House.  Thank you to partner Rogers Gunter Vaughn
Insurance for donating the directory expenses!

Spirit Sales:  We had a great sale at the Open House and we will restock
the best sellers!  Thank you to volunteers Harriet Williams and Kim Crum.
Partner Florida Tee’s will be printing more Cobb Tshirts and shorts.
Tshirts are $10, girls shorts $12, boys shorts $15, pencils 5 for $1;
totebags $5.  We will have an order form available in the PTO office for
you to place an order during the school year.  We have a lot of sporting
events coming up so get your Cobb Team spirit now!

Albertson’s Community Partner Program:  Please see the attached forms that
tell you how to sign up with their Advantage Card and Community Partner
program.  You can sign up with the school code #49000109739 by filling out
the form and allowing us to sign you up or go online yourself at
www.albertsons.com      This is “free” money for Cobb.

Winn Dixie School Rewards Program:  Please see the attached forms to sign
you up with their Customer Reward Card and School Rewards program.  You can
sign up with the school code #50405 at the store or go online at
www.winn-dixie.com . We get the benefits of your grocery shopping!  Eat up!

Copy Room Volunteers Needed!   We’ve had requests for help copying at the
school to help the teachers.  This is a great way for people to donate that
1 hour per week that the state allows!   Patty is chairing the group and
setting up a schedule of volunteers.  Email her at [log in to unmask]
if you are interested in working a shift!

If you have any questions or want to become involved with the PTO, please
contact Laura Rogers at [log in to unmask]