From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 08:01:07 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
Can you believe that we are already half way through the third nine week
grading period? Things are moving so quickly this year! We're getting into
a test preparation mode at this time. Children have been learning the
necessary skills and material all year long, so we're working to make sure
that they are familiar with the test formats they will encounter.  If you
would like to purchase FCAT practice materials to give your children
additional preparation and practice at home, they are available from PTO
through the front office.
We look forward to recognizing all of our volunteers and mentors this
coming week.  We couldn't accomplish what we do without your support!

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
Our fourth grade students will be taking the writing portion of the FCAT
this Tuesday, February 11th. The testing session will be from 8:00-9:30am.
Please make sure that all students arrive at school on time and are well
rested and fed. We have confidence that our fourth graders will do a
fantastic job!

SCHOOL CHOICE
In Leon County, every effort is being made to offer students the
opportunity to attend a school of choice that meets their specific needs.
The choices for these students are better than ever. If you answer “yes” to
any of the questions listed below, you may qualify for the School Choice
Program.
1. Is there a special program or another school that meets you child’s
interests or needs?
2. Would you like to move from an over capacity school to an under capacity
one?
3. Is there more convenient after-school childcare available in another
school zone?
4. Does a parent/guardian of the student, or the student work in a
different school zone?
If you are interested in knowing more about the Leon County School Choice
Program, call the Leon County Schools Reassignment Office at 487-7546 or
414-5160. You may also check their website at: www.leon.k12.fl.us. THE
DEADLINE FOR CHANGING SCHOOLS IS MARCH 1, 2003! (See the article in the
next column)

MARCH 1ST DEADLINE FOR REASSIGNMENT
March 1st is the deadline for reassignment approval for the 2003/2004
school year. If you would like to request reassignment to another school
for next year, please submit your request to the reassignment office by
this date. We have forms available in the front office.

LOST AND FOUND
We are accumulating many coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. in our lost and
found since the beginning of January. Please have your child check our lost
and found in the cafeteria if they are missing any of these items.

THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS
The faculty and staff would like to recognize the volunteers who provided
the breakfast items for our staff appreciation breakfast on February 3rd.
They are: Mary Filsinger Higdon, Melissa Thomas, Belinda Croft, Shannon
McCoy, Karen Dennis, Julie Sander, Jaqui Griffith, Tina McElhenney, Shannon
McCoy, Lori Simmons and Moetke Soule. Thank you so much; everything was
delicious!

VOLUNTEER APPRECIATION WEEK
We will be celebrating Volunteer Appreciation Week next week, February
10th – 14th. There will be a Volunteer Breakfast on Thursday, February 13th
beginning at 7:15am in the media center. All volunteers are welcome to
attend the breakfast.  WE LOVE OUR VOLUNTEERS AND APPRECIATE ALL THAT YOU
DO!

HEALTH AND NURSING SERVICES
The following information is from Lorri Pilkington, RN, who works for Leon
Co. Schools Health and Nursing Services. Leon County Schools has had a
large number of students absent from school due to the cold and flu virus.
The clinic staff has been extremely busy caring for sick children as well
as contacting parents for student pick up. In an attempt to decrease the
spread of the communicable diseases, we are asking all parents to adhere to
the following guidelines:
1. If your child complains of flu like symptoms such as body aches,
headaches, chronic coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, or fever, and if they do
not feel well and are not able to learn, please keep your child out of
school.
2. Children must be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours and not
taking anti-fever medications such as Tylenol or Advil.
3. Please update emergency contact numbers at your child’s school if
you have moved or changed phone numbers. It is very important to reach a
responsible adult in the event of an accident or illness.
4. Do not send your child to school with medication. Parents are to
bring the medication to the school and complete the medication permission
form.
Thank you for your cooperation. With your help, we can keep our children
healthy and able to learn.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
February 11  FCAT 4th Grade Writing Test
February 14  Spirit Day
February 16  Eagle Scout Flag Retirement Ceremony, 3:00pm,
American Legion Hall on Lake Ella
P February 17  Spring Festival Planning Meeting, 5:30pm,
Media Center
February 18  PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, “FAMILY MATH NIGHT” 6:00pm
   Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
February 21  Spirit Day
February 25  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit, 1:30-3:30pm, Chaires
East Parking Lot
February 28  Spirit Day
March 1   Deadline for Reassignment for 2003/2004 School Year
March 3   SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
March 3,4,5  FCAT Reading & Math SSS Tests (Grades 3,4,5)
March 4   Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
March 7   Spirit Day
March 10,11  FCAT Science (Grade 5)
March 12   FCAT Reading & Math NRT Test (Grades 3,4,5)

GOOD NEWS:
JANUARY GOLDEN SPOON AWARDS – Congratulations to the classes who won the
Golden Spoon Award for the month of January. This award is given for
wonderful lunchroom behavior. The winning classes were: Mrs. Davis –
Kindergarten, Mrs. Sauls – 1st grade, Mrs. Laney – 2nd grade, Mrs.
Miller/Mrs. Shaner – 3rd grade, Ms. Peacock – 4th grade, and Mrs. Horne –
5th grade.

EMPTY COT AND SAFETY AWARDS – The following classes won the Empty Cot and
Safety Award for the month of January (Mrs. Murphy’s 1st grade and Mrs.
DeRouin’s 4th grade).  Mrs. Church presented the winning classes with
cupcakes.

KIDS TALK SHOW –  The February show will feature Crossing Jordan by Adrian
Fogelin. It will be held on February 20th.  Kids Talk Show is on from 6:30-
7:30pm, on Cable Channel 23.

SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of January 31st  were Mrs. Davis’
Kindergarten, Mrs. Turner’ 1st grade, Mrs. Laney’s 2nd grade, Mrs. Miller’s
3rd grade, Ms. Dannemiller’s 4th grade, and Mrs. Toner’s 5th grade.
CONGRATULATIONS!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.