From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:04:07 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
FOR YOUR CHILD’S SAFETY
Parents, for your child’s safety, please be sure NOT to drop your child off
in front of the school. We have the back car ramp as our supervised area
for parents to drop children off each morning starting at 7:00am. Parents
who drop children off at the front, having them cross the bus lane, are
endangering the children and setting a poor example by not following the
school rules. Please help us out. We want your child to be safe and
understand the importance that school rules apply to everyone.

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
Hats off to our Fourth Grade students who took the FCAT Writing test this
week. They came to school on test day focused and ready to show what they
know! Good job, Fourth Graders!
Remember that we have FCAT practice materials available to purchase for
parents of 3,4, 5th grade students for use at home. These are different
materials than the ones that teachers are using in the classrooms. They are
available in the front office for $10 each. Checks can be made payable to
Chaires PTO.

BOX TOPS
Dear Parents and Students: Start sending your General Mills Box tops into
school now. PTO is having a weekly drawing for prizes during the month of
March. To enter, just write the student’s name on the back of the box tops
and send them to school. General Mills’s box tops are on many products
including cereals, Pillsbury refrigerated rolls, Hamburger Helper dinners,
Fruit roll up snacks, and Betty Crocker cake and pizza mix. We earn 10
cents for each box top sent in. Collection bins are in the office. Thank
you, PTO.

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
We would like to let you know that Kindergarten registration for the
upcoming school year (03/04) will begin the 1st week in May. Please pass
the word along to family and friends who may have kindergarten age
children. To pre-register your child, we need two proofs of residency
(something that pertains to the home, i.e. utility bill, phone bill, lease
agreement, mortgage bill) and the school registration packet filled out. To
complete the registration we will also need a copy of a certified birth
certificate, a current physical, immunization form and social security
number. All of the above is required before school entry will be permitted.
Students will begin the 2003-2004 school year on August 18, 2003. If you
have any questions, please call the office at 878-8534.

SPRING BREAK DATES
We have had quite a few calls about the dates for Spring Break. Spring
Break is March 24-28, and there is a Teacher Planning Day on Friday March
21st (the Friday before).

MARCH OF DIMES REMINDER
Don’t forget to fill your envelopes and return them to school by Monday,
February 17th to help with the March of Dimes Campaign!

FAMILY MATH NIGHT
Parents, please come to our Family Math Night, being held next Tuesday,
Feb. 18th from 5:30-6:30pm in the cafeteria. There will be games to play
with your child and for each game your child plays, he/she will earn a
ticket to enter him in a drawing.

K-2 GIFTED CLASS
Mrs. Beck’s K-2 gifted class saw a mature bald eagle soaring just a few
hundred feet above our school! They used binoculars to observe its white
head and tail feathers and its bright yellow beak and feet! It was very
exciting! They also saw a flock of beautiful Eastern meadowlarks and a
loggerhead shrike! Keep your eyes open; we have many exciting and beautiful
birds right here on our campus.

MARCH 1ST DEADLINE FOR REASSIGNMENT
March 1st is the deadline for reassignment approval for the 2003/2004
school year. If you would like to request reassignment to another school
for next year, please submit your request to the reassignment office by
this date. We have forms available in the front office.

QUESTIONS ABOUT JAPAN?
We have had a Japanese college exchange student, Eri Ogo, working with us
in 2nd grade for part of this school year. She is willing to answer
questions that the students may have about life in Japan. There is a
question box located in the Media Center. Please drop your questions off
there, and Ms. Ogo will try to answer them as soon as she can; remember to
identify your question with your name and your teacher’s name. We will
publish some of the questions and answers in the newsletters to come!

UPCOMING EVENTS:
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
February 16  Eagle Scout Flag Retirement Ceremony, 3:00pm,
American Legion Hall on Lake Ella
P February 17  PTO Spring Festival Planning Meeting,
5:30pm, Media Center
February 18  Family Math Night, 5:30-6:30pm, Cafeteria
Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
February 21  Spirit Day
February 25  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit, 1:30-3:30pm, Chaires
East Parking Lot
February 28  Spirit Day
March 1   Deadline for Reassignment for 2003/2004 School Year
March 3   SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
March 3,4,5  FCAT Reading & Math SSS Tests (Grades 3,4,5)
March 4   Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
March 7   Spirit Day
March 10,11  FCAT Science (Grade 5)
March 12   FCAT Reading & Math NRT Test (Grades 3,4,5)

Good News From Chaires!

MORNING ANNOUNCEMENTS - The morning announcements were presented by Mrs.
Coleman’s 5th grade class the week of February 10th. The students who
participated were Ryan Maxwell, Evan Brigman, Adam Stephens, Frankie
Brigance, Ramsey Garner, Nicole Folsom, Chelsea Boyett, James Huggins,
Marcellus Fowler, Langley Payton, Mitchell Mims, Jake Burch, Anthony
Hintzen, J’Shon Smith and Brandon Denmark.  AWESOME JOB!

SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of February 7th  were Mrs. Davis’
Kindergarten, Mrs. Burnett’ 1st grade, Mrs. Laney’s 2nd grade, Mrs.
Shaner’s 3rd grade, Ms. Peacock’s 4th grade, and Mrs. Toner’s 5th grade.
CONGRATULATIONS!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.