From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:41:09 -0400
The Panther Pride
Chaires Elementary School Newsletter
www.chaires.leon.k12.fl.us
850-878-8534

Friday, September 20, 2002

PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
The first month of school has been wonderful.  I'm so pleased with so many
children who are behaving well, working hard, and putting forth their best
effort!  So far this school year, we have talked about goals, effort,
responsibility, character, and friendship through our morning announcements.
Upcoming topics that we will explore include citizenship, respect, and
attitude.  Please help us by reinforcing these values at home. We look
forward to Open House on Monday.  Chaires could still use some parents to
serve on the Advisory Council, which meets at 5:30 on the first Monday of
each month.  If you are interested, please notify me as soon as possible.
I look forward to the Open Hearing of the 2002-2003 School Improvement Plan
on Monday night.  This will be an opportunity for you to see exactly what
the school goals are for the year.  We're working hard to become an "A"
school!  With your help, we know we're on the right track!

Mrs. Olk’s Corner
Thank you to all of the parents who attended the parent meetings the past
two weeks. If you were unable to attend and have curriculum or testing
questions, please feel free to call me at the school.Open House
Please plan to attend our Open House this coming Monday, September 23rd
beginning at 6:00pm. We will hold a short assembly in the cafeteria then
you are welcome to visit the classrooms. This will give you a chance to see
what the students have been working on so far and talk with the teachers.
Fifth (5th) grade will be serving supper and holding a bake sale from 5:00-
6:00pm. The items on the menu will be pizza ($1/slice) & assorted drinks
($.50/ea.) PTO will have Chaires T-shirts available for purchase also. If
anyone can volunteer on this night to help with the sale of T-shirts,
please let us know at the front office, 878-8534.

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Parents, we are in need of volunteer for the following events coming up:
Family Movie Night – 10/4, Field Day – 10/17. Please let us know if you can
help out. We appreciate all that you do.

TUTORS
We are trying to update our tutor list here in the front office. If you
offer tutoring services or know someone who does, please call us at 878-
8534. We are compiling a list to keep on file.

ENGRAVING NEEDS
The Chaires Sunshine Committee is in need of some help with engraving.
During the year, we have gifts engraved for retiring faculty, teacher of
the year, etc. If you have a special talent in this area or know of someone
who does, please give us a call in the office.

SILENT AUCTION NOTICE
PTO will plan to hold their annual Silent Auction on Tuesday, December 3rd.
They are trying to get an early start by asking for donations now. The
auctions held in the past have been very successful and we hope to do as
well this year. If you know of anyone who has a special talent and would
like to donate an item or two, we’d appreciate it.

FAMILY DAY
For the second year now, Governor Jeb Bush has joined the National Family
Partnership (NFP) and the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse
at Columbia University (CASA) to reintroduce “Family Day – A Day to Eat
Dinner With Your Children” on Monday, September 23, 2002. Leon County
Schools’ Safe & Drug-Free Schools’ Office recognizes the importance of
family values. Eating dinner together and participating in family
activities play important roles in the development of our children.
Floridians are encouraged to make family time an important part of this
special day. For more information, visit their web site at:
www.myfloridaeducation.com/familyday

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
P September 23  Open House 6:00pm–7:00pm
 September 24  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires
Comm. Park 1:30pm-3:30pm
 September 27  Spirit Day
 September 30  September Faculty/Staff
Recognition/Appreciation
October 1  September Golden Spoon Awards/Lunchroom Behavior
Skate Night 6:30pm-8:30pm
    Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
P October 2  Individual Fall Photographs
 October 3  DAC, Howell Ctr. 7pm
October 4  Spirit Day (Ms. Lewis’s birthday)
6pm PTO Dinner
    6:30pm Family Movie Night
 October 7  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm Media Ctr.
 October 11  Spirit Day
 October 14  American Red Cross Fire House (grades K-3)
October 15  American Red Cross Fire House (grades K-3)
5:30pm  PTO Meeting & FAMILY SAFETY NIGHT
    Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
P October 16  Health Screenings
P October 17  Field Day
    End of first nine-week grading period
 October 18  Teacher Inservice Day – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS
 October 22  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires
Comm. Park 1:30pm-3:30pm
 October 29  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 October 30  Report Cards go home

SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of September 9th were Kindergarten –
Bist/Goree, 1st Grade – Burnett, 2nd Grade – Blair, 3rd Grade – Shaner, 4th
Grade – Peacock, and 5th Grade – Toner.

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.