From:
Christi Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:08:54 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
Each spring, we ask for some students, parents, faculty, and staff members
to complete "Climate Surveys" to give us input on how we're doing.  Fourth
and fifth grade students will complete their surveys in class.  The parents
of students in kindergarten, third, fourth, and fifth grade will receive
climate surveys today.  We ask that you complete your survey, seal it in
the provided envelope, and have your child return it to the teacher or the
office by next Friday.  We will use the information that we receive to
continue to improve Chaires Elementary School.  The results from the open-
ended response questions will be shared at the School Advisory Council
Meeting on Monday, May 5th (5:30 p.m., Media Center).  The other responses
will be shared with the school community through the advisory council and
the annual School Public Accountability Report once they are tallied and
returned from the district office.  Questions?  Comments?  Call Christi
Moss at 878-8534 or email at: [log in to unmask]

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
Science Fair – Our school Science Fair will be held Tuesday, April 22nd.
Judging will be that morning and then open to the public for viewing from
5:30-6:30pm. All 3-5 grades are required to submit a project. Kindergarten,
1st and 2nd  are also invited to enter a project.

GROUP PICTURES
Please mark you calendars! Wednesday, April 9th, Group Class Pictures will
be taken. They will be taken outside if the weather is good. Class pictures
will be pre-paid and you should have received an order envelope home by now.

YEARBOOKS
Yearbooks have arrived. If you have not purchased one yet, the cost is
$15.00, but supplies are limited.

PARKING LOT UPDATE
Our front parking lot has been numbered with assigned parking spaces for
faculty and staff. Please be aware that spaces numbered 22-26 have been
designated to parent/volunteer spaces for you to use when you need to park
and come into the school.

KIDS FISHING CLINIC
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission along with other
statewide sponsors would like to invite you to attend their annual Kid’s
Fishing Clinic, this Saturday, April 5th from 11:00am – 2:00pm. It will be
held at the Mashes Sands Fishing Pier, Ochlockonee Bay. This is a catch-and-
release event held for children from ages 7-15. It is a free clinic and
free fishing rods will be given away to participants, while supplies last.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME BEGINS
Daylight Savings Time begins this Sunday,  April 6th at 2:00am. Set your
clocks ahead 1 hour.

COFFEE CANS NEEDED
PTO is collecting large empty coffee cans with the lids for use at the
Spring Festival. Please bring them by the office if you have any.

SPRING FESTIVAL THEME BASKETS
We have begun collecting items for the theme baskets for the Spring
Festival. This is a popular booth at the festival each year. For a dollar
donation, you have a chance to win one of these wonderful baskets. You
should have received a flyer with the items being collected in each grade
level. Students can begin to bring their items in to their teacher anytime
before the festival. Just to refresh your memory, here are the themes for
each grade level’s basket: Pre-K (Italian), Kindergarten (Mexican), 1st
Grade (Gardening Supplies), 2nd Grade (Snack/Junk Food), 3rd Grade
(Beach/Water Play), 4th Grade (Picnic Items), 5th Grade (Chocolate), and
Staff (Bath & Body). Thank you for your donations.

SPRING FESTIVAL
THE SPRING FESTIVAL IS COMING! Mark your calendar for Saturday, April 26th
from 10:00am-2:00pm. There will be fun, food, and excitement for the whole
family! Some of the highlights will be the Chaires Capitola Fire Department
equipment, Leon County Sheriff’s Office (helicopter, K-9, Camaro and more),
American Red Cross Fire House, Department of Forestry’s own Smokey the Bear
and Woodsy the Owl, craft sales, rides, games, and a dunk tank too!

BLOOD DRIVE
We will hold a blood drive on the same day as the Spring Festival, April
26th, from 10:00am-2:00pm. The Bloodmobile will be here at that time.
Please plan to donate blood if you have a chance.

PARENTS’ AND CHILDREN’S DAY
During its 2002 Session, the Florida Legislature passed a bill sponsored by
Loranne Ausley to recognize Parents’ and Children’s Day. This Sunday, April
6th you will have the opportunity to join with Representative Ausley and
families throughout Leon County to celebrate Parents’ and Children’s Day at
Tom Brown Park. Pack a picnic and join us at Tom Brown Park from 2:00pm
until 5:00pm on Sunday, April 6th. There will be family activities,
entertainment and even a human chain around the park!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
April 7  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
  Faculty/Staff Recognition Breakfast
April 9  Report Cards Go Home
  Group Pictures, Pre-paid, Taken Outside (weather permitting)
April 11 Spirit Day
  Student Award Assemblies (Gr. 4,5 -  8:15am, Gr. 2,3 -
9:00am, Gr. K,1 – 9:45am)
April 14 Writes Upon Request This Week (Grades 1-5)
April 15 5th Grade Visits the Middle Schools
  Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 18        Spirit Day
April 21 Science Fair Set-up
  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm
(Monday – this month only)
April 22 Science Fair Judging
                Family Science Night & Book Fair, 5:30, Cafeteria and Media
Center
April 25 Spirit Day

Good News From Chaires
GOLDEN SPOON AWARDS FOR MARCH – Congratulations to the following classes
who won the Golden Spoon Awards for the month of March: Pre-K - Fasthoff,
Kindergarten - Bist/Goree, 1st - Padgett and Burnett, 2nd - Laney, Hintzen,
Blair and Loney, 3rd - Shaner, 4th - Dietrich and DeRouin, and 5th - Horne.
This award is given for good behavior in the lunchroom. KEEP UP THE GOOD
WORK!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.