From:
Christi Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:19:19 -0400
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
The principals from Fairview and Swift Creek were very complimentary of the
Chaires’ students who had the opportunity to visit on Tuesday.  Let's keep
working hard together to remind the children to stay focused, work hard,
and make good choices so that we can have a MARVELOUS ending to the school
year.
For the parents of fourth and fifth graders that will be attending year end
field trips to St. Augustine or Orlando, please stay tuned for more
information about meetings that we will hold prior to the trips.  We want
to make sure that you have the most up to date safety information prior to
the trip.
I'm so excited that our Spring Festival is just around the corner!  We
could still use a number of volunteers to help out for just a 30 minute
shift next Saturday.  I hope to see you all at the festival!

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
Congratulations to all of our students who received Purple Panther, Gold
Panther, Panther Pride and Panther Cub Awards at our awards assembly! We
hope to have every student on stage with an award for excellence at the
last assembly in May.

SUMMER CAMP
Register Now! Limited Enrollment!!! Come and join us for a fun-filled ten
weeks of field trips and enrichment activities. Call Cathy Davis at 922-
2866 for more information. Next week’s newsletter will have more details
also.

BOOK FAIR
The Scholastic Book Fair will be held the week of April 21st. It will also
be open the same night as the Science Fair, April 22nd, from 5:30pm-7:30pm
and, it will be open  during the Spring Festival on Saturday, April 26th
from 10:00-2:00pm. Stop by and check out all the interesting books.
Volunteers are still needed; please call if you can help us out.

SCIENCE FAIR
The Science Fair will be held on Tuesday, April 22nd from 5:30-6:30pm.
Students will set up their projects on Monday, the 21st.  Student projects
will be in the cafeteria and classroom projects will be in the science
room. Come and join us for a fun-filled night to view all of the wonderful
projects and visit the Book Fair.

TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS & SONS TO WORK DAY
Thursday, April 24th is the annual Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day
for school aged children. As in previous years, any student seeking an
excused absence to participate in this event should provide a letter from
the parent’s employer (or the parent, if self-employed) indicating that the
employer will be sponsoring the student’s visit. This letter should be on
the company’s letterhead/stationery.

SPRING FESTIVAL THEME BASKETS
We are still collecting items for the theme baskets for the Spring
Festival. Just to refresh your memory, here are the themes for each grade
level’s basket: Pre-K (Italian), Kindergarten (Mexican), 1st Grade
(Gardening Supplies), 2nd Grade (Snack/Junk Food), 3rd Grade (Beach/Water
Play), 4th Grade (Picnic Items), 5th Grade (Chocolate), and Staff (Bath &
Body). Thank you for your donations.

FIFTH GRADE CHORUS PERFORMANCE
Our fifth grade chorus will perform in the cafeteria the morning of the
Spring Festival. The performance will begin at 10:00am and last
approximately 15 minutes. Stop by and hear their wonderful voices!

SPRING FESTIVAL
THE SPRING FESTIVAL IS ALMOST HERE! Mark your calendar for Saturday, April
26th from 10:00am-2:00pm. There will be fun, food, and excitement for the
whole family! Some of the highlights will be the Chaires Capitola Fire
Department equipment, Leon County Sheriff’s Office (helicopter, K-9, Camaro
and more), American Red Cross Fire House, Department of Forestry’s own
Smokey the Bear, craft sales, rides, games, and a dunk tank too!

YEARBOOKS
If you would like to purchase a yearbook, we have a small supply left. The
cost is $15.00 each and checks are made payable to Leonard’s.

WATER BOTTLES NEEDED
Ms. Koenig, our Science teacher, is in need of empty 16.9 oz. bottles. If
you wish to donate some, please bring them by the office.

FAMOUS AMERICAN REPORT
Recently, Mrs. Shaner’s 3rd grade worked on their Famous American report.
Jennifer Griffith, a student in Mrs. Shaner’s class did her report on Sally
Ride, the astronaut. Jennifer had the opportunity to talk with Dr. Ride at
the Ruby Diamond Auditorium and even got her to autograph her Famous
American report! What a great experience. Maybe Jennifer will be inspired
to become an astronaut someday!!

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.

April 21 Science Fair Set-up
  Book Fair All This Week, Media Center
Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm (Monday – this
month only)
April 22 Science Fair, 5:30-6:30pm, Cafeteria and Media Center
Book Fair Night, 5:30-6:30pm, Media Center
April 25 Spirit Day
P April 26 Spring Festival, 10:00am-2:00pm
  Bloodmobile, 10:00am-2:00pm
April 28 Kindergarten Registration Begins
April 29 Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 30 Progress Alerts Go Home
May 1  April Golden Spoon Awards
May 2  Spirit Day
May 5  Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
  WUR Alternative Assessment (Grades 1-5)
  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
May 6  Kindergarten Orientation, 6:00pm, Cafeteria (Kdg. Parents
and Students)
  Skate Night, 6:30-8:30pm, Skate World, Proceeds will go to
Relay for Life
May 9  Spirit Day
May 13  2nd Grade Musical Drama Performance, 6:00pm, Cafeteria
May 14  2nd Grade Musical Drama Performance for students, 8:15am &
9:15am, Cafeteria
May 16  Spirit Day
P May 20  PTO Spaghetti Dinner, 5:30pm, Cafeteria
   5th Grade Chorus Musical Drama Performance, 6:00pm,
Cafeteria
May 21  5th Grade Chorus Musical Drama Performance for students,
8:15am & 9:15am, Cafeteria
May 23  Spirit Day
May 26  Memorial Day Holiday – NO SCHOOL
May 28-30 Early Release Days – 10:50am
May 30  LAST DAY OF SCHOOL – REPORT CARDS GO HOME

Good News From Chaires
SPIRIT DAY – The classes who won the spirit count for April 11th  were
Kindergarten – Davis, 1st grade – Turner, 2nd grade – Laney, 3rd grade –
Mizell, 4th grade – DeRouin and 5th grade – Toner. WAY TO GO!