From:
Christi Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:11:43 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
I’m proud of how hard all of the third, fourth, and fifth grade students
have worked this week!  Please be sure to help students arrive at school on
time next week as we finish the remainder of the FCAT testing on Monday,
Tuesday, and Wednesday.
We had a wonderful school-wide celebration of Read Across America today!
The reading committee helped organize the event so that we could celebrate
Dr. Seuss's 99th birthday in style.  Classes paired up and read to one
another, some classes held read-a-thons and ate birthday cake, and we
started the day with me reading of "Oh the Places You will Go" on the
morning announcements.  We're always trying to make reading fun for
children!

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
The Science Fair will be held on Tuesday, April 22nd. Judging will be
during the day and parents will be invited 5:30-6:30pm that evening for
viewing. Projects need to be brought in on April 21st and grade levels will
be called at the end of the day to set up their projects in the cafeteria.
A letter will be sent home on March 14th letting parents know about the
upcoming fair and packets will go home on March 20th to all 3rd, 4th, and
5th graders (mandatory participation) and to K, 1st, and 2nd students who
express an interest in participating. Every classroom will be doing a
project with their class to demonstrate the scientific method. These will
be displayed in the Media Center for parents and students to view on the
night of the Science Fair.

MINORITY EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
Congratulations to Mrs. Martha Davis, Kindergarten teacher.  Mrs. Davis was
selected by her peers to represent Chaires Elementary School as Glen-Howell
Distinguished Minority Educator of the Year.  We are so lucky to have such
a hard working, dedicated, positive and energetic award winner!

TEACHER PLANNING DAY
Friday, March 21st is a Teacher Planning Day. Extended Day is planning a
fun-filled activity day. They will be visiting the Challenger Learning
Center and it’s IMAX Theatre and Planetarium Shows. Check you child’s
backpack for a registration form and complete the information if you are
interested in your child attending. Call Cathy Davis at 922-2866 for more
information.

SPRING BREAK CAMP
March 24-28 is Spring Break. Extended Day is planning a camp for that week.
Come and spend this week with us and explore the galaxy and our solar
system. Join us on a 5-day adventure beyond the starts. Be a “STAR” at our
dance and karaoke party, jump on our moonwalks, slide on the water slide,
make “out of this world” arts and crafts, build your own robots, search for
aliens, and much more! The sky’s the limit!! Contact Cathy Davis at 922-
2866 for more information, and look for a Spring Break Camp flyer to arrive
home soon.

WELCOME PUBLIX, OUR NEW  PARTNER!
We would like to welcome Mr. Fred Kinch, Manager of the new Publix on Mahan
as our newest business partner. Publix has already donated snacks for our
FCAT Saturday session. We also have plans for Publix to help us with our
special awards and programs. PLATO, the Publixsaurus, will even be making a
visit to Chaires for our Kindergarten Orientation on May 6th. If you’re in
Publix and see Mr. Kinch, be sure to thank him for his support!

IMPORTANT TESTING DATES
Please make a note of these important dates coming up:
March 10, 11 FCAT Science (Grade 5)
March 12 FCAT Reading & Math NRT Tests(Grades 3, 4 & 5)
April 1-4 SAT9 (Grades 1 & 2)

TALLAHASSEE SYMPHONY
The Tallahassee Symphony Orchestra will serenade the youth of our community
at their annual Young Peoples Concert on March 8th at 1:00pm in the Ruby
Diamond Auditorium. Teachers, parents, grandparents and the young at heart
will love to bring their little ones to this youthful and educational based
concert. As the orchestra takes you “dancing around the world”, young
people will learn about the symphony, it’s instruments, the composers and
the geographic and cultural context. The concert will feature various
composers and will also feature members of the Tallahassee Ballet. Concert
tickets are $9 per person and can be purchased through the Tallahassee
Symphony office at 850-224-0461 or the Fine Arts Ticket Office at 850-644-
6500. Seating is general admission so get there early for the best seats in
the house!

QUESTIONS FOR ERI
How far is Japan from here?
It takes about 20 hours to go to Japan from Tallahassee by plane.
Is there any beach in Japan?  Yes. Japan is surrounded by sea; we have many
beaches.
Did they show Dragon Ball?
Yes, it has been popular for a long time. Do you know Dragon Ball, Pokemon,
Yu-gi-oh and Bayblade came from Japan?
New words for your vocabulary:
okahsan -mom
otohsan -dad
akachan -baby
inu -dogs
neko -cats

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
March 10,11 FCAT Science (Grade 5)
March 12 FCAT Reading & Math NRT Test (Grades 3,4,5)
March 14 Spirit Day
P  March 18 PTO Spring Festival Organizational Meeting, 5:30pm, Med.Ctr.
  Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
March 20 4th Grade – SEA-TO-SEE, 7:30-12:30, Guidance Hallway
End of Third Nine Weeks
March 21 Teacher Planning Day – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
  Extended Day Activity Day
March 24-28 SPRING BREAK! – NO SCHOOL
  Extended Day SPRING BREAK CAMP
March 25 Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm
April 1-4 SAT9 Testing (Grades 1 & 2)
April 1  Golden Spoon Awards
  Skate Night, 6:30-8:30pm, Skate World
  Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 4  Spirit Day

GOOD NEWS FROM CHAIRES:

SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of February 28th were K-Davis, 1st-Burnett,
2nd-Loney, 3rd-Miller, 4th-Peacock and 5th-Toner. GREAT SPIRIT!

GOLDEN SPOON AWARDS FOR FEBRUARY were given for excellent behavior in the
lunchroom to the following classes: Pre-K-Vaughn, K-Bist/Goree, 1st-Murphy,
2nd-Laney, 3rd-Shaner, 4th-Dietrich & DeRouin, and 5th-Toner. GOOD JOB!

EMPTY COT AND SAFETY AWARDS FOR FEBRUARY – Mrs. Davis’ Kindergarten class
won the Empty Cot award and Mrs. DeRouin’s 4th grade class won the safety
award for the month of February. Mrs. Church presented both classes with
cupcakes for their award. FABULOUS!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.