From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 11:14:20 -0400
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18th IS A TEACHER PLANNING DAY . . . no school for students!

PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
I appreciate all of the parents, students, and teachers who came to Family
Safety Night.  We've got lots of exciting events this coming week including
red ribbon week and field day. Next month, we'll be holding Family Reading
Night. You'll have a chance to learn more about the reading programs and
incentives that we use at Chaires. You'll also have an opportunity to visit
the book fair!  We hope to see a big turn out for our November Family Night!

Mrs. Olk’s Corner
Below is the Field Day Schedule for Friday, October 25th. We need parent
volunteers willing to help out with field day. If you are interested,
please contact the office at 878-8534.
 K-2 Playground  Pre-K 11:00-12:00
   Kdg. 9:00-10:00
   1st 8:00-9:00
   2nd 10:00-11:00

 3-5 Playground 3rd 9:15-10:15
   4th 8:15-9:15
   5th 10:15-11:15

FIELD DAY IS COMING!
Field Day is scheduled for next Friday, October 25th. Please remember to
send in a white T-shirt for your child to be tie-dyed as soon as possible.
The shirt does not have to be new. It should be a fun-filled day. If you
can volunteer in your child’s class on that day, please let the teacher
know.

FLU SHOTS AVAILABLE
As you may be aware, the Health Department has their Mobile Health Unit out
at Chaires East on the 4th Tuesday of every month from 1:30-3:30pm. The
next time they will be here is October 22nd, and they are now offering FLU
SHOTS for $12.00. They also offer other services such as immunizations. For
more information, please call 487-3186.

TELESCOPE AVAILABLE
The Science room has a telescope available for check out. It must be
reserved ahead of time. Pickup on Friday during school hours, and return on
Monday. If interested, please contact Ms. Koenig at 878-8534.

HALF PENNY TAX
Parents, please refer to the District web site at www.leon.k12.fl.us to
access the half penny tax information in general and for each school.

COOKIE DOUGH FUNDRAISER
This is just a reminder that the Cookie Dough fundraiser orders are due
back to the school by Friday, October 25th.

BOX TOPS AND SOUP LABELS
Parents, we are collecting Box Tops For Education and also Campbell Soup
Labels. This year, the label proceeds will go to enhance our hands-on
Science program!

MORLEY FUNDRAISING
Did You Know? You can order your gift wrap from Morley all throughout the
year by visiting their website! You’ll also be helping Chaires PTO raise
funds. Their website is www.redapplemorley.com.

RED RIBBON WEEK ACTIVITIES
Red Ribbon Week begins the week of October 21st. There are many activities
planned for the week. Monday there will be a Red Ribbon Rally in the
cafeteria. Kindergarten through 2nd will attend at 8:00am and 3rd through
5th will attend at 8:30am. MONDAY – WEAR RED TODAY. Tuesday is “Sock it to
Drugs Day”. TUESDAY – WEAR YOUR CRAZIEST SOCKS. Wednesday is “Put a Cap on
Drugs Day”. WEDNESDAY - WEAR YOUR FAVORITE HAT. There is also a Candlelight
Vigil and Fun/Run Walk at Lake Ella at 6:00pm Wednesday evening. THURSDAY –
WEAR YOUR CLOTHES INSIDE-OUT. Finally, on Friday the Poster Campaign
winners will be announced. GOOD LUCK!

TOWN HALL MEETING
There will be a town hall meeting on October 22nd at 7:00pm, in the City
Commission Chambers, at City Hall. The public is encouraged to attend and
participate in the open forum. Representatives from federal, state, and
local law enforcement, the legal system, drug abuse prevention and
treatment professionals, and medical professionals will meet to discuss the
problem of drug abuse in Tallahassee. Among those scheduled to attend are:
DEA Admin. Asa Hutchinson, Tall. Police Chief Walter McNeil, U.S. Attorney
Gregg Miller, FL Drug Czar Jim McDonough, Leon Co. Sheriffs Office, FDLE,
Disc Village, Mothers in Crisis, Turn About and many others. For more
information, contact Officer Kathy McGhin at 891-4574 or Special Agent Greg
Poore at 942-8417.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
 October 17  End of first nine-week grading period
 October 18  Teacher Inservice Day – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS
 October 21-25  Red Ribbon Week
October 22  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires at Chaires
East 1:30pm-3:30pm
P October 25  Field Day
    Cookie Dough Orders due
October 29  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 October 30  Report Cards go home, Student Award
Assemblies
 November 4  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
 November 8  Spirit Day
 November 11  Veteran’s Day – School Closed
 November 12  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
    Skate Night, 6:30pm-8:30pm, Skate World,
(rescheduled from 11/5)
 November 15  Spirit Day
P November 18  Book Fair Week
    Writes Upon Request – This Week (Grades 2-5)
P November 19  Picture Retake Day
PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
    Family Reading Night/Family Portraits may
be taken/purchased
 November 20  Progress Alerts
 November 22  Spirit Day
 November 25  November Faculty/Staff
Recognition/Appreciation
 November 26  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 November 27-29  Thanksgiving Holiday – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.