From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:31:28 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
Parents, we really need your help in a couple of areas:
*ALL parents need to use the car drop off area in the back of the school.
It presents a safety problem and a parking issue for faculty and staff when
parents drop children off in the front parking lot.  Your help with this
matter is greatly appreciated.
*Since the time change, we've had some parents dropping children off when
it is daylight, but prior to the time that our supervision begins. Morning
supervision begins at 7:00 a.m.  Please wait to drop your children off
until you see Mrs. Fordham's smiling face on duty at the back of the
school. When you see her, that is your cue that we have supervision in
place in the corridors, cafeteria, K-2 playground and 3-5 playground. Once
again, we need your help to be sure that the children are safe at school!
I wanted to thank the parents, community members, students, staff, and
local high school and middle school students who worked together to make
the installation of the 3-5 playground possible.  It was so nice to get the
project completed on Saturday BEFORE sundown!  We are awaiting the
installation of a ramp and mulch.  As soon as that is in place, the kids
will get to enjoy the new playground!  In addition, we will hold a ribbon
cutting ceremony at 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday, November 19th. We encourage all
volunteers who assisted with the project to come out and be recognized!

BOOK FAIR/ PTO BOARD MEETING/ FAMILY READING NIGHT & PORTRAITS
We have many items on the agenda for Tuesday evening, November 19th. If
you are able to volunteer during this week, please call the office as soon
as possible. The book fair is going on this entire week during school and
on the evening of the 19th, from 5:30pm – 7:30pm. Parents can come out and
view all the interesting books and things available for purchase, and the
teachers will have their “wish lists” on display. This is an opportunity
for you to purchase a book or two that the teacher would like for the
class. Storytellers will be on campus reading stories to students and
families in the Art Room, Science Room & Music Rooms. Our photographers
from Leonard’s will be here to take family portraits for anyone interested.
They will be set up in the Guidance Hallway from 5:00pm – 7:30pm. They are
offering the same packages and prices as the individual pictures.
PTO meeting that was originally scheduled on this night has been cancelled.

PTO THANKS YOU
PTO would like to thank all the parents and volunteers who helped build the
3-5 playground. It was a wonderful day! Don’t forget, we still need your
help with Silent Auction. All classes who have greater than 50% of the
students bringing in donations for the auction will be rewarded with an Ice
Cream Social. We are always grateful for crafts, gift certificates, etc.
This is a great way for businesses to advertise their goods. The continued
involvement of the parents will be the backbone support of a successful
auction. We also need good folks to help decorate and cook. Please e-mail
or contact Jaqui Griffith or Molly McKinstry.Jaqui’s e-mail address is
You can leave a message for either Jaqui or Molly by calling the office at
878-8534.

PICTURE RETAKE DAY
Just a reminder that picture retake day is next Tuesday, November 19th. If
you have any questions, please call the office at 878-8534.

MORLEY FUNDRAISERS PICKUP DATES
Moreley candy/gift wrap and cookie dough order pick up days:
Pick up day #1 - Tuesday, November 19th from 2:00pm–7:30pm
Pick up day #2 - Friday, November 22nd from 7:30am-9:30am and       1:30pm-
6:00pm.

FORMER CHAIRES’ STUDENT HONORED
Jack Laney, a former Chaires’ student and son of Mrs. Laney, has received
the first “Herron Scholarship Award” at FSU. The Herron Scholarship is made
possible by an endowment from the Herron family to honor the memory of
Charles S. Herron, Jr., M.D., an FSU B.S. alumnus. The scholarship will be
given annually to entering freshman majoring in chemistry or biochemistry.
It provides a grant of about $2000 per year for up to four years. Jack
Laney is the first recipient of this award. Jack is a graduate of Lincoln
High School where he was an AP Scholar with Distinction, an award given to
students who pass five or more Advanced Placement exams with a 3.5 or
higher average. At Lincoln, he also participated in a variety of math and
science clubs and activities and also lettered in weightlifting.
CONGRATULATIONS, JACK!!

PROGRESS ALERTS
Progress Alerts for the 2nd nine weeks will go out on Wednesday, November
20th. Your child will only receive one if the teacher feels a need to alert
you of an academic or behavior problem.

THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY
The Thanksgiving Holiday is approaching fast. There will be NO SCHOOL on
November 27th, 28th and 29th (Wed., Thurs. & Fri). We hope that you enjoy
this time with your family and friends.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
P November 18  Book Fair Week
    Writes Upon Request – This Week (Grades 2-5)
P November 19  Picture Retake Day
Book Fair Family Reading Night 5:30pm – 7:30pm  Media Center
Family Portraits in Guidance Hallway from 5:00pm – 7:30pm
Moreley Fundraiser Pickup Day #1 from 2:00pm – 7:30pm in Cafeteria
 November 20  Progress Alerts
 November 21  Human-I-Tees orders due today
November 22  Spirit Day
Moreley Fundraiser Pick up Day #2 from 7:30am - 9:30am and 1:30pm - 6:00pm
Human-I-Tees Fundraiser orders due – absolute last day!
 November 25  November Faculty/Staff
Recognition/Appreciation
 November 26  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 November 27-29  Thanksgiving Holiday – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
December 2  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
December 6  Spirit Day
   Speech Contest (5th Grade)
December 10  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
   Skate Night, 6:30pm-8:30pm, Skate World
December 13  Spirit Day
   D.A.R.E. Graduation for 5th Grade
December 16  December Faculty/Staff Recognition/Appreciation
P December 16-20  Holiday Store
P December 17  Silent Auction and Holiday Dinner &
Program, 5:30pm, Cafeteria
 December 23-January 3 Winder Holiday – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS,
FACULTY & STAFF
 January 6  Teacher Planning Day – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS
 January 7  Students Return from Winter Break

SPIRIT DAY – The Spirit Day winners for the week of November 11th were
Kindergarten – Ward, 1st – Turner, 2nd  - Loney, 3rd – Shaner, 4th –
Peacock, and 5th – Toner. WAY TO GO!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.