From:
"Christi Moss, Principal" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:25:54 -0500
The Panther Pride
Chaires Elementary School Newsletter
www.chaires.leon.k12.fl.us
850-878-8534
Friday, January 21, 2004

Christi Moss, Principal

PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
It’s been a short, yet exciting week at Chaires Elementary School!  On
Tuesday, we had our “NASCAR Pig Races” for those students who sold more
than seven items during our very first fundraiser.  It was quite exciting
to see those pigs racing.  It was even more of an adventure to see our own
version of “Fear Factor” with children eating bugs!  (Chocolate covered
bugs, mind you.)  The PTO sponsored an informative session on Osteoporosis
given by Dr. Greg Williams and even included free screening sponsored by
Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals.  It was nice to see so many parents
taking care of themselves so that they will be healthy in order to take
care of others!
Wednesday was a day of celebration as we honored our students who have
worked extremely hard to get on the honor roll.  At Chaires, the honor roll
is not an easy thing to accomplish!  Students must put forth their best
efforts at all times in the areas of behavior, work/study skills, effort,
and academics in order to earn top honors!  If your child made the honor
roll, you should be extremely proud of them – for working hard and YOU –
for your support in making this happen!  If your child did not make the
honor roll, just like we tell the kids, now is a great time to set a goal
to earn honor roll during the third grading period.
Probably the most exciting thing about the whole week was that we have now
moved OUT of the “branch library” in the 700 building and we are back in
the 400 building with a new HVAC system.  We are glad to have the children
back in the media center and we’re glad to be able to hold meetings in a
cozier atmosphere!  As we move toward completion of the school-wide HVAC
project, the main office has been moving OUT of the 300 building the past
two days.  STARTING MONDAY, JANUARY 24, THE MAIN OFFICE WILL BE LOCATED IN
ROOM 702.  This room is closest to the Extended Day portable at the front
of the school, facing the basketball courts.  The main office will be
closed for 30-45 days as the HVAC system is upgraded.  I would like to
thank David Rippee and David Rippee, Jr. of Rippee Construction for working
closely with us to minimize disruption of learning time.  They have been
more than helpful in all of their work at Chaires!

Lanell McCaskill, Assistant Principal

MRS. MCCASKILL’S CORNER
Congratulations to all of our 2nd Nine-Weeks Honor Roll achievers!  The
Keys to the FCAT will be sent home on Monday, January 24, 2005. The FCAT
Writing Plus for 4th Graders will be given February 8-9, 2005.  I would
like to remind students and parents that it is very important that they
arrive to school on time.  The FCAT Saturdays will begin January 29, 2005
from 9:00 – 11:00.  Parents, all students should read everyday.  Please
assist them in accomplishing this task. “It’s the little things in life
that determine the big things.”

FCAT BROCHURE UPDATE
The correct address for the FCAT brochure is
http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/fcat/fcatpub1.htm.

GREAT NEWS
We would like to congratulate our School Related Employee of the Year:
Leasie Stephens, our Teacher of the Year: Jan Kilpatrick and our Minority
Educator of the Year: Latisha Ballance.  We surprised them all with
balloons and a bouquet of flowers.  If you see any of these wonderful
teachers, stop and give them a hug today.

REASSIGNMENT FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR (05/06)
If you would like to apply for reassignment for the upcoming school year
(05/06), the deadline is March 1st.  If your child is already approved for
reassignment to Chaires, there is no need to reapply, unless you are living
outside of Leon County.  If you live outside of Leon County, you do need to
reapply each year.  Also, if you have moved during this school year and are
no longer in the Chaires’ zone, you will need to apply for reassignment in
order for your child to remain at Chaires next year. Otherwise, they will
automatically be transferred to the school in your zone over the summer.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the office at 878-
8534.

LOST AND FOUND
Since the cold weather has returned our lost and found has increased.  If
you have lost a jacket or any clothing item, please have your child check
the rack in the cafeteria.  To help us in returning a lost jacket to your
child, please write their name on the tag.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with an X indicate that we will be seeking
parent volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact
the front office by calling 878-8534.

Jan 25  Cub Scout Pack 25 Mtg, 6:30pm-9:00pm, Cafeteria
  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm
Jan 31  School Advisory Council Mtg, 5:30pm, Cafeteria
Feb 1  Skate Night, 6:30pm-8:30pm at Skate World
Feb 7-11 Writes Upon Request Grades 1,2,3& 5
Feb 8  Progress Alerts go home
Feb 8-9  FCAT Writing-4th Grade Only
X  Feb 15 Black History Program (5th Grade Chorus) 6:00pm, Cafeteria
  PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, Cafeteria
X  Feb 16 Spring Individual Photographs
Feb 21  President’s Day: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Feb 22  Cub Scout Pack 25 Mtg, 6:30pm-9:00pm, Cafeteria
  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm
X  Feb 25 First Grade Program, 8:00am & 9:15am, Cafeteria
Feb 28  School Advisory Council Mtg, 5:30pm, Media Ctr.
Mar 1  Deadline for Reassignment for 05/06 School Year
Mar 1 -11 FCAT testing, Grades 3-5
Mar 15  PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
Mar 18  Teacher Planning Day: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
Mar 21-25 Spring Break: NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS AND TEACHERS
Mar 22  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm
Mar 29-April 1 SAT/9 Testing, Grades 1 & 2

Good News At Chaires
Citizen’s of the Week
Congratulations to the Citizens of the Week.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Spirit Stick Award
Congratulations to the following most “spirited” classes for the week of
January 14th.  These classes had the most students in their grade level
wearing purple and gold on Friday.  They are:  Mrs. Davis, Mrs. Padgett,
Mrs. Loney, Mrs. Bedford/Mrs. Weigman, Mrs. Perez, and Mrs. Horne.

Morning Announcement Helpers
We would like to thank the students who helped deliver morning
announcements from Mrs. Laney’s second grade class the week of January
4th.  WAY TO GO!

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.