From:
Christi Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:44:10 -0400
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
I would like to thank the many parents involved in the planning of the
Spring Festival.  We are looking forward to a fun-filled day on April
26th.  As we near the end of the school year, we are beginning to plan for
the upcoming year.  Our fifth graders will visit their middle schools next
week and then we will hold Kindergarten registration on May 6th.  Please
keep your eye on the newsletter for more information about class placement
letters for next school year.

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
Testing is finally over! The first and second graders finished SAT9 this
week. We expect test results for both FCAT and SAT9 sometime around the
middle of May. Thanks to everyone for their help and cooperation during
testing.

FIFTH GRADE VISITS MIDDLE SCHOOL
Our 5th grade students will be visiting Fairview and Swift Creek Middle
schools on Tuesday, April 15th. They will be leaving the school at 9:00am
and returning approximately at 12:30pm. Lunch will be provided to the
students by the middle schools.

BOOK FAIR
The Scholastic Book Fair will be held the week of April 21st. It will also
be open the same night as the Science Fair, April 22nd, from 5:30pm-7:30pm
and, it will be open  during the Spring Festival on Saturday, April 26th
from 10:00-2:00pm. Stop by and check out all the interesting books.

SCIENCE FAIR
The Science Fair will be held on Tuesday, April 22nd from 5:30-6:30pm.
Students will set up their projects on Monday, the 21st.  Student projects
will be in the cafeteria and classroom projects will be in the media
center. Come and join us for a fun-filled night to view all the wonderful
projects and visit the Book Fair.

KINDERGARTEN REGISTRATION
Kindergarten registration begins the first week in May. We will have a
kindergarten orientation on Tuesday, May 6th, at 6:00pm. All 2003-2004
kindergarten parents and students are welcome to attend the meeting in the
cafeteria and then visit the kindergarten classes. If you have any
questions, please call the office at 878-8534.

YEARBOOKS
Yearbooks have been distributed. We have a small supply remaining. The cost
is $15.00 each and checks are made payable to Leonard’s.

SCIENCE SUPPLIES NEEDED
Ms. Koenig needs a supply of 9 oz. empty water bottles for an upcoming
project. If you would like to donate some, please send them to the office.

COFFEE CANS NEEDED
PTO is collecting large empty coffee cans with the lids for use at the
Spring Festival. Please bring them by the office if you have any.

SPRING FESTIVAL THEME BASKETS
We have begun collecting items for the theme baskets for the Spring
Festival. This is a popular booth at the festival each year. For a one-
dollar donation, you have a chance to win one of these wonderful baskets.
You should have received a flyer with the items being collected in each
grade level. Students can begin to bring their items in to their teacher
anytime before the festival. Just to refresh your memory, here are the
themes for each grade level’s basket: Pre-K (Italian), Kindergarten
(Mexican), 1st Grade (Gardening Supplies), 2nd Grade (Snack/Junk Food), 3rd
Grade (Beach/Water Play), 4th Grade (Picnic Items), 5th Grade (Chocolate),
and Staff (Bath & Body). Thank you for your donations.

SPRING FESTIVAL
THE SPRING FESTIVAL IS COMING! Mark your calendar for Saturday, April 26th
from 10:00am-2:00pm. There will be fun, food, and excitement for the whole
family! Some of the highlights will be the Chaires Capitola Fire Department
equipment, Leon County Sheriff’s Office (helicopter, K-9, Camaro and more),
American Red Cross Fire House, Department of Forestry’s own Smokey the Bear
and Woodsy the Owl, craft sales, rides, games, and a dunk tank too!

BLOOD DRIVE
We will hold a blood drive on the same day as the Spring Festival, April
26th, from 10:00am-2:00pm. The Bloodmobile will be here at that time.
Adults who wish to donate blood can do so at this time.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.

April 14 Writes Upon Request This Week (Grades 1-5)
April 15 5th Grade Visits the Middle Schools
  Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 18 Spirit Day
April 21 Science Fair Set-up
  Book Fair All This Week, Media Center
Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-3:30pm (Monday – this
month only)
April 22 Science Fair, 5:30-6:30pm, Cafeteria and Media Center
Book Fair Night, 5:30-6:30pm, Media Center
April 25 Spirit Day
P  April 26 Spring Festival, 10:00am-2:00pm
  Bloodmobile, 10:00am-2:00pm
April 28 Kindergarten Registration Begins
April 29 Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 30 Progress Alerts Go Home
May 1  April Golden Spoon Awards
May 2  Spirit Day
May 5  Faculty/Staff Appreciation Week
  WUR Alternative Assessment (Grades 1-5)
  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
May 6  Kindergarten Orientation, 6:00pm, Cafeteria (Kdg. Parents
and Students)
  Skate Night, 6:30-8:30pm, Skate World
May 9 Spirit Day

Good News From Chaires
SPIRIT DAY – The classes who won the spirit count for April 4th were
Kindergarten – Davis, 1st grade – Turner, 2nd grade – Laney, 3rd grade –
Shaner, 4th grade – Peacock and 5th grade – Toner. WAY TO GO!

KIDS TALK – Correction on next month’s book “Williwaw!”, the author’s name
was spelled wrong in last week’s newsletter. It is Tom Bodett.

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.