From:
Christi Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:30:50 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
We were thrilled with the great turnout for the October PTO meeting on
October 15.  Twenty-three of our classes were represented by parents who
have volunteered to serve as "Class Parents" this year. The biggest role of
the Class Parent is to assist the teacher in classroom level volunteer
opportunities and serve as a PTO contact for other parents in the class.
Class Parents also serve as members of the PTO board and can vote on PTO
issues. Many of you have been contacted by your class parent and we hope
you'll take the opportunity to work with them to be involved directly in
your child's classroom. Teachers can tell you who their class parent is if
you have questions, or you can call or e-mail Molly McKinstry of the PTO at
309-0848.
We will be seeking a large group of parents and community members to help
us as we install our brand new playground equipment for third, fourth, and
fifth grade students!  Please mark November 9th on your calendar.  Stay
tuned to next week's newsletter to find out how you can help!

Mrs. Olk’s Corner
Report Cards for the 1st nine weeks will be going home on Wednesday,
October 30th. We will also be having award assemblies that day to recognize
our honor roll students and perfect attendance students.

PATRIOTIC PROGRAM
We will have our Patriotic Program on Friday, November 8th for all classes,
during the day, in the cafeteria. There will be no evening program. Parents
are welcome to attend and everyone is encouraged to wear red, white, and
blue.  We are breaking it down into 3 programs in order to have room to
accommodate room parents. The schedule is as follows:
 Pre-K, K, & 1st   8:00am
 2nd & 3rd   9:15am
 4th & 5th   10:30am
Hope to see you there!!

PICTURE RETAKES
Picture retakes will be done on Tuesday, November 19th. If you were not
satisfied with your child’s pictures, please be sure to have them bring in
the package to be returned to the photographer on that day. If your child
was absent on picture day (October 2nd) they will need to have their
picture taken on retake day. This picture is used for the yearbook. If you
would like to purchase pictures for the first time, please be sure you get
an order envelope and choose the package you would like. Your child would
need to give the order envelope to the photographer; we do have order forms
available in the front office. The photographers will also be here on the
evening of November 19th to take family portraits for anyone interested.
This is the Book Fair Family Reading Night.

CHAIRES EXTENDED DAY
Our Extended Day program has begun Session 2. The theme for this session
is “Seasons” and it runs from Oct.21st - Dec. 20th. We now have Chaires
Teachers doing homework help Monday through Thursdays each week. To
register for after school, please call Cathy Davis at  922-2866.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ENDS
Daylight Savings Time ends this coming Sunday, October 27th. Please
remember to set your clocks back 1 hour Sunday morning.

CLINIC CLOTHES NEEDED
The clinic is in need of some spare clothes to have on hand for students to
borrow in case they have an accident. We really could use smaller size
pants, shirts and underwear (sizes 6-8 or 8-10). Elastic waist pants/shorts
work well. With the cooler weather coming, sweatpants will come in very
handy. The clothes do not have to be new. Parents of younger students may
want to send an extra set of clothes to keep in their child’s backpack. As
always, we appreciate your donations.

PINE CONES NEEDED
The Science Lab is in need of pinecones. Any size would be good. If you
have any, please drop them off at the front office and we will be sure that
Ms. Koenig receives them.

KIDS VOTING
Just a reminder that the Chaires students will be participating in the Kids
Voting Program. Teachers will do election activities, including a mock
registration process and review of the sample ballot, in their classrooms.
K-3 will be able to vote for Governor and Attorney General and those in
grades 4 and 5 will also be able to vote for the Leon County Commissioner
at Large. The students will also vote on 2 proposed constitutional
amendments (banning smoking and limiting class size) and the half-cent
sales tax for schools.  Parents are also encouraged to take their children
with them when they vote so that the students can vote too. This will be a
wonderful opportunity for students to experience the democratic process
first hand. If you have any questions, please call Fran Lewis at 878-8534.

UPCOMING EVENTS
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.
 October 29  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 October 30  Report Cards go home
Student Award Assemblies (K-1 9:45am, 2-3 9:00am, 4-5 8:15am)
 November 4  SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
 November 8  Patriotic Program
Spirit Day
 November 11  Veteran’s Day – School Closed
 November 12  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
    Skate Night, 6:30pm-8:30pm, Skate World,
(rescheduled from 11/5)
 November 15  Spirit Day
P November 18  Book Fair Week
    Writes Upon Request – This Week (Grades 2-5)
P November 19  Picture Retake Day
PTO Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
    Family Reading Night/Family Portraits may
be taken/purchased
 November 20  Progress Alerts
 November 22  Spirit Day
 November 25  November Faculty/Staff
Recognition/Appreciation
 November 26  Bookmobile 4:30pm-7:30pm
 November 27-29  Thanksgiving Holiday – NO SCHOOL FOR
STUDENTS AND TEACHERS

You are on this list because you subscribed to the ChairesPTO Listserve.
However,if you wish to unsubscribe, please go to
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT&z=3 and
unsubscribe yourself. Thank you.