From:
Christi Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 08:32:47 -0500
PRINCIPAL’S PAWSE
I would like to wish everyone a very safe and happy spring break! Enjoy,
relax, and plan to have your children return to school with a renewed
energy to finish the school year off strong!

MRS. OLK’S CORNER
We will begin administration of the SAT9 standardized test for our 1st and
2nd graders on Tuesday, April 1. Please make sure that your child arrives
at school on time that week and has had a good night’s sleep and a good
breakfast.

GROUP PICTURES
Please mark you calendars! Wednesday, April 9th, Group Class Pictures will
be taken. They will be taken outside if the weather is good. Class pictures
will be pre-paid and you will receive an order envelope home soon.

TESTING DATES REMAINING
April 1-4  SAT9 (Grades 1 & 2)

YEARBOOKS
Yearbooks are still available for purchase, although the supply will be
limited. The cost is $15.00 and they should be in at the end of April.

DRESS CODE
Just a reminder that dress code guidelines are in effect all year. If you
would like a copy of our dress code, please call the office or stop by for
a copy.

NEWS FROM MRS. ADAM’S CLASS
Mrs. Adams’ 5th grade class would like to thank Mrs. Yelvington for coming
to the classroom to talk them about George Washington Carver and Booker T.
Washington for Black History month. She did an excellent job and the
students enjoyed it very much. Thank you, Mrs. Yelvington!

MARCH OF DIMES!
A BIG Thank You to all the students who donated to the March of Dimes! Our
school collected $279.95 and the students enjoyed an Ice Cream Sundae Party
for the efforts.

KINDERGARTEN ORIENTATION
Kindergarten Orientation will be on Tuesday, May 6th, at 6:00pm in the
Cafeteria. Please let your family, neighbors, and friends know. We will
also begin pre-registering kindergarteners for the 2003/2004 school year
the first week in May, beginning April 28th. If you have any questions,
please call the office at 878-8534.

SPIRIT DAY STANDINGS
Every Friday is Spirit Day at Chaires. Students and Faculty are encouraged
to show their spirit by wearing purple and/or gold colors. So far this
school year, the classes showing the most spirit are Mrs. Davis, Mrs.
Sauls, Mrs. Laney, Mrs. Shaner, Ms. Peacock and Mrs. Toner. CONGRATULATIONS!

CAMP INFORMATION
We have received information on camps being held at Premier & Titus Sports
Academy and East Hill Baptist Church. We have posted flyers in the front
office. If you would like more information, please call the office at 878-
8534.

SPRING FESTIVAL
The Spring Festival is planned for Saturday, April 26th from 10:00am-
2:00pm. Room parents will be contacting you and flyers will be sent home.

BLOOD DRIVE
We will hold a blood drive on the same day as the Spring Festival, April
26th, from 10:00am-2:00pm. The Bloodmobile will be here at that time.
Please plan to donate blood if you have a chance.

QUESTIONS FOR ERI
What do schools look like?
Each school has one big 3 or 4 story building, a playground, a track, a
gym, and a library.
What is one of you famous holidays?
 New Year’s Day is the most famous and biggest holiday in Japan.
Do you have a president?
 No. We have a Prime Minister. We also have the Emperor.
New words for your vocabulary:
 hon – book  1-itchi
 spring – halu  2-knee
 toshokan - library  3-sun
    4-sea
    5-go
I had wonderful days at Chaires. I’m happy that you are interested in
Japan. I won’t forget you! Arigato and Sayonara (Thank you and Good Bye).
Eri Ogo

UPCOMING EVENTS:
Please mark your calendar and plan to join us for these upcoming events!
Please note that the items with a P indicate that we will be seeking parent
volunteers to assist us.  If you are able to assist, please contact the
front office by calling 878-8534.

March 20  End of Third Nine Weeks
March 21  Teacher Planning Day – NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
   Extended Day Activity Day
March 24-28  SPRING BREAK! – NO SCHOOL
   Extended Day SPRING BREAK CAMP
March 25  Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-
3:30pm
April 1-4  SAT9 Testing (Grades 1 & 2)
April 1   Golden Spoon Awards
   Skate Night, 6:30-8:30pm, Skate World
   Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 4   Spirit Day
April 7   SAC Meeting, 5:30pm, Media Center
   Faculty/Staff Recognition Breakfast
April 9   Report Cards Go Home
   Group Pictures, Pre-paid, Taken Outside (weather
permitting)
April 11  Spirit Day
   Student Award Assemblies (Gr. 4,5 -  8:15am, Gr.
2,3 -  9:00am, Gr. K,1 – 9:45am)
April 14  Writes Upon Request This Week (Grades 1-5)
April 15  5th Grade Visits the Middle Schools
   Bookmobile, 4:30-7:30pm
April 18  Spirit Day
April 21  Science Fair Set-up
   Leon Co. Mobile Health Unit at Chaires East, 1:30-
3:30pm (Monday – this month only)
April 22  Science Fair Judging
Family Science Night, 5:30, Cafeteria and Media Center

Good News From Chaires
SPIRIT DAY WINNERS for the week of March 14th were K-Davis, 1st-Sauls, 2nd-
Laney, 3rd-Shaner, 4th- DeRouin and 5th- Coleman. GREAT SPIRIT!

EMPTY COT AND SAFETY AWARDS FOR MARCH – Mrs. Laney’s 2nd grade class won
the safety award and Mrs. Murphy’s 1st grade class won the empty cot award
for this month. Thank you to our partner, Publix at theVineyards Center for
their donation of cupcakes to the classes. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!