APALACHEE-PARENTS Archives

Apalachee Elementary School Parents

APALACHEE-PARENTS@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Janice Mazza <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 06:50:42 -0400
Media Center News
                                                          Oct. 11, 2004

     The Scholastic Book Fair will be in the Apalachee media center from October 8-
14th.   There will be books on all reading levels and many of the Sunshine State
books and other award winning titles will be available.
Students will visit the book fair during the school day with their class.  Parents are
welcome to come in anytime during the day. We will also stay open till 7:30 P.M. on
Thursday, October 14th. If you would like to volunteer to help at the book fair during
the day, please call Ms. Mazza at 921-0091.
All proceeds from the book fair are used to purchase new books and materials for
the media center.
                                                      What’s Happening?

     The Sunshine State Young Readers Award Books are now in the media center.  A
list of these books can be found on our school webpage.
The Morning News crew is doing a great job!  If you child is on the news, please feel
free to come in and “watch the show” being taped each day from 7:15-7:45.
 It's true for both adults and children--when we enjoy an activity, we are more likely to
do it often and learn to do it well. One of the most important gifts parents can share
with children is a love of reading.

     Experts agree that reading is a skill learned through repetition. Set aside time to
read with your child every day, even if it's just for 10 minutes. I read to a small group
of 5tth graders each day during their lunch and they love it!
I have a list of “Tips to Encourage Reading”.  If you would like a copy, let me know
and I will send one home.
You are welcome to visit and volunteer in the media center.  If you can crochet and
would like to help out during my studio classes give me a call (921-0091) or send e-
mail to [log in to unmask]  We will also welcome donated yarn and size G
or H crochet hooks.

You can access lots of great websites from our homepage
(www.apalachee.leon.k12.fl.us).
One great site is Grolier Online (http://go.grolier.com).  Check it out!  The user name
and password to access this site from home is “leonco”.
A great site for K-2 students is Star Fall (http://www.starfall.com).  It helps students
with reading skills.  To use this site at school students must return an Internet
Permission Form.  Be sure your student has one returned.
Also, parents you can sign up for the Parent Listserve on our website.  Newsletters
that are sent home will also be sent to your personal e-mail.
If you have any questions about these or any other resources from on our
homepage, please contact Janice Mazza at 921-0091 or [log in to unmask]

                                                              Gems Science Update

     The earth has been shaking! No, it’s not an earthquake. It’s the “Worm Stomp”.
Ask your 3rd, 4th and 5th graders what worms do when the ground begins to vibrate.
Many of the students have also experienced the joy of holding a tickly earthworm for
the first time. How cooool!!!
Second graders have been conducting experiments to learn what plants need to live
and grow.
They will be making terrariums in the coming weeks. Please send in those 2 liter
bottles!
Thank you to the kindergartners and first graders who have brought treasures to fill
our shoeboxes to overflowing. The children have been practicing Science and Math
skills by observing and graphing the many treasures. Buttons, shells, caps and lids,
rocks, keys, and other interesting items have given the boys and girls a lot of practice
and pleasure while grade level skills.

                                                     Attention Parents

     COOPERATION is a vital life skill. Many of GEMS activities require students to
work together. PLEASE discuss this important life skill with your child.
A SCIENCE SAFETY checklist was sent home. Please read over the safety rules
with your child, sign and return to school as soon as possible.

GEMS WISH LIST
paper towel   plastic spoons
medicine droppers  coffee stirrers
clear cups  2 liter bottles
Please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns or suggestions.
Cathy Welbon
email: [log in to unmask]