From:
Michelle Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 06:23:00 -0400
Greetings Parents, Students, and Friends of Griffin!
Out listserve is up and running and will provide valuable information
about our school each week. Let's get started!

I would like to thank everyone (over 500 people) for attending our Open
House on Thursday, September 11, 2003. It is always a pleasure to host
this event. Griffin would not be successful without the support of
parents, grandparents, guardians, family members, and other community
members. There was standing room only in most of our classrooms. Parents
commented that they were impressed with all that their child is learning
at Griffin Middle School. Just think, the best is yet to come. We are
going to have a great year at Griffin Middle School!

Our Week Ahead - September 15 - 19, 2003
It’s “A” Week –  ABCDEF

09.16.03
* Progress Alerts go home with each student!
* Football Jamboree  6:00 PM @ Cox Stadium (GMS v Fairview - 2nd half)

09.17.03
Signed progress reports due to Homeroom Teachers
Emergency Medical Forms due

09.18.03
* Cross Country Invitational @ Chiles High 10:00 AM
* Volleyball v Swift Creek   6:30 PM @ Swift Creek
* Parents review and sign Agenda Books!

09.19.03
All Student Discount Card Orders due to HR teachers!

Student Discount Cards Are On Sale!
Purchase your $10.00 discount cards featuring great deals at area
businesses!  All fundraisers due by Friday, September 19, 2003.

Silent Auction Help Needed!!
Griffin’s PTO is in the planning stages for our Annual Silent Auction.
Our Auction will be held April 1, 2004, & are looking for parents that
want to be on the planning committee or that have businesses that would
like to donate items. Contact Leave a message for Mrs. Apgar at 488.8436.

Writes Upon Request - Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - Happy Writing, Tigers!
School Pictures will be taken on September 24, 2003! Get ready to smile,
Tigers!

Florida’s Hispanic Heritage:
Five Centuries of History, Culture & Prosperity

Topic:
Celebrating the Hispanic Family: How My Family Has Helped Me Appreciate
Reading

&#61694; Entries can be no longer than 500 words.
&#61694; All entries due by October 1, 2003.
&#61694; This contest is open to everyone!
&#61694; Questions? See Mr. William Gilmore

Calling all Successful Young Women & Men of Griffin Middle School!
See Ms. Bush, Mr. Hawkins or Mr. Gilmore for more information and an
application today!

We have held several ‘Lockouts” this week. Students who are not in class
on time during the school day are sent to Tardy Hall for the period and
receive a zero for the class that was missed. Students complete various
assignments in Tardy Hall including campus beautification and basic skills
review. Many students end up in lockout because they are not using time
wisely in between classes. Most of our students are doing the right thing
and arriving on time for each class period.

Counselor's Corner - How to Be Successful in School
• Be in school, on time, every day.
• Learn how to adapt to different teachers.
• Be prepared for each class.
• Sit in the front of the class, if possible.
• Be aware of your body language and nonverbal behavior.
• Always do your homework.
• Participate in class.
• Be a good group member.
• Treat others with courtesy and respect.
• Involve your parents.

That's all for now, Tigers! Have a positive and highly productive week!

Michelle Gayle
850.488.8436