CMS-MAGNET Archives

Cobb Middle School Magnet News

CMS-MAGNET@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Robin Oliveri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:28:21 -0400
Welcome Spring!

Field Trips

Both field trip final payments are due this week!!!!  Students have been
given their final amounts.  However, if you are unsure how much you owe,
please contact your trip coordinator.  Mr. Kenneth Locke is in charge of
the 7th grade Sea World trip and can be reached at
[log in to unmask];  Michelle Roddenbury is in charge of the 6th
grade Kennedy Space Center trip and can be reached at
[log in to unmask]  Please send your payments in envelopes clearly
marked with your child's name, grade level and trip for which payment is
being made.  Additionally, please make sure you have submitted a volunteer
form to our guidance office if you are chaperoning either trip.

For Kennedy Space Center:  Please be aware that CELL PHONES ARE NOT ALLOWED
IN THE VISITORS COMPLEX.  Your child MAY have a phone on the bus, in the
overnight adventure complex, and at the Astronaut Hall of Fame.  This is a
Kennedy Space Center security requirement and is NON-NEGOTIABLE.  We
anticipate being in the visitor complex for about 4-5 hours on Saturday
morning.

We are looking forward to a fantastic experience and I would like to thank
both Mr. Locke and Ms. Roddenbury for all their hard work organizing these
events for our students!

Books of Hope

The magnet students are involved in writing Books of Hope in several of
their classes.  These books will fill a critical need in the education of
children living in displacement camps in Uganda.  Language Arts classes are
writing poetry and fictional stories while the science classes are
organizing mini textbooks on various topics for both middle school and
elementary children.  This is a national program coordinated through the
National Writing Project at Florida State University with whom we are
educational partners.  Talk to your student about this exciting and
meaningful initiative.  You can view more information at the following web
address:  http://booksofhope.org/

We are very proud of the response we have received from our students
regarding this project!!!

Recruitment 2009

This was an incredibly successful recruiting year for our magnet program.
We received more applications than ever before and have extended
invitations to 150 rising 6th grade students to join our magnet family!!!!
Cobb was one of the most popular and frequently chosen schools for
reassignment this year.  The rest of the community has finally realized
what we have always known:  COBB IS EXCELLENT ON PURPOSE ! ! ! !!

Laboratory Activities

Research 2 students are in the final stages of their forensic unit.  They
will wrap up this unit with a mock autopsy and a crime scene challenge.
They have had a good time with this unit and have really sharpened their
evaluation skills.

Research 1 students are in the dissection track!  We are wrapping up
arthropod dissections and moving into the insect collection project.
Students should collect interesting bugs over the break.  Please check your
students glove supply.  We have 3 more large dissections to come and
everyone needs gloves.

Have a wonderful week!

Robin Oliveri, Director