CMS-MAGNET Archives

Cobb Middle School Magnet News

CMS-MAGNET@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*If you no longer wish to receive Cobb emails, please click on the Listserv links from our webpage<http://www.leonschools.net/cobb> and you can remove your email address. You may be receiving emails from both CMS-Parent as well as CMS-Magnet, you will want to follow the steps from both links. [...]44_18Dec201520:40:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 08:19:37 -0500
CUB REPORTER
January 21, 2003
Email address-cobb.leon.k12.fl.us
http://listserv.leon.k12.fl.us

Greetings Parents & Students,

Welcome to a new calendar year at Cobb Middle School! We know
2003 will bring a host of wonderful activities. Report cards went home
Monday, January 13th.

Hopefully you received the Cub Claws during the first week of January.
If you did not receive this newsletter in the mail....then your address is
not correct in our computer. Please call Terry Martinez, our registrar, at
488-3363 with your correct address. Please note, if your phone
number changes, please call that in to Mrs. Martinez also. Thanks!!

Congratulations start with our Boy's Soccer team winning the district
area championship and our Girl's Basketball coming in 2nd for the
district championship!! We are proud of all of our athletes and Coach
Rice and Coach Tolbert for their leadership.

Congratulations to the students who went to the All-State Conference
for band and chorus!! They did a super job with music, learned a great
deal, and had some fun. Thanks to Mr. Miller and Mrs. Drew for
sponsoring these students.

Sixth grade language arts students have participated in the classroom
Tropicana Speech contests recently. As part of the curriculum
standards in language arts, all students have researched, organized,
and written a two to three minute speech on a topic of their choice.
Students then presented their speeches to their language arts
classes. We are very proud of our sixth graders this year. First place
winners in each class represented their classes in Cobb’s school
contest on January 14th.  Mrs. Graham, Mrs. Miller, and Mrs. Brierton
extend congratulations to the following students:  First Place Winners
– Douglas Biederman, Hailey Bevis, Michael Dobson, Kyle Patterson,
Leah Olsen, Joe Alexionok, Stenza Daniels, Katelin McCleod,
Shekinah Bryant, Mary Alford, Chelsea Rogers, Jason Brigham, Anna
Staubinger, and Leslie Stinson; Second Place Winners:  Amber
Sears, Bridget Swingle, Justin Jowers, Ian Wood, Tyrone Davis,
Brandy Smen, Rachel Henderson, Darius Hands, Kellen Denny, and
Kirk Laxton; Third Place Winners – Summer Tomasello, Andrea Smith,
Nicholas Haynes, Aneatra Brown, Charles Lane, Samuel Kim,
Jefferson Griffin, Sarah Miller, Haleigh Johnson, and Kenny Nickens.
The school winners were Jason Brigham-1st Place, Stenza
Daniels-2nd Place, and Katelin McCleod-3rd Place. The district
contest will be held on January 25 at the FSU University School.
Come out and support Jason with his speech!

Mrs. Gloria Durrence has been voted as Cobb's Teacher of the Year!!
Please feel free to stop by and thank her for all of the wonderful
contributions she has made to Cobb over the years!! It is
professionals like Mrs. Durrence that help so many students, and
parents and she deserves a huge pat on the back!!

On Saturday, January 11, Cobb students traveled to Fort Walton Beach
for a math contest at Choctaw High School. This contest was for
Middle and High Schools. There were 40 teams at the competition,
over 25 schools, and over 700 students competing. The Geometry
team o f Lisa Sawicki, Karynn Schmidt, Angela Smith and Kesin Wang
placed 13th. Kesin Wang was the high individual scorer from Cobb.
Our Algebra I team of Siddarth Charhuriya, Gloria Gauding, Levon
Hoomes, and Sarah Walters finished in 12th place. The high
individual scorer from Cobb was Siddarth Charhuriya. Congratulations
to all of the students who participated. We are very proud of you!! And,
thanks to you Mr. Coleman!!

The winners of the 2003 Geography Bee are: 1st- Karynn Schmidt;
2nd Joseph Kidder; 3rd- David Shepard!! Great Job!! Karynn will take a
qualifying test to compete in the State Geography Bee!! Good Luck!!

The winners of the 2003 Spelling Bee are: 1st- Tiffany Murphy; 1st
runner up - Jordan Shaw. Great Job!!

Our 2003 Brain Bowl Team is: Kesin Wang, Brian Wheeler, Karynn
Schmidt, Karis Needham, Jeremy Katz, and Michael Friggers. Good
luck when competition comes up!!

Congratulations to Wendell Crawford, our new SGA Vice-President!

Parents, if your child has lost clothing, glasses, etc., please have them
check the lost and found located in Deputy Tyson's office. Our baskets
runneth over.

Mark your calendars!! The Leon County District is again participating in
the 2nd Annual Education Expo, Saturday, February 1st at the Leon
County Civic Center from 10:00-3:00 p.m. Our school will showcase
the many educational resources available at Cobb. Come enjoy and
be informed about the wealth of educational opportunities at all the
District schools, along with an activity corner for children, a line-up of
well respected speakers, entertainment, and education-related
exhibitors. Admission and parking are free.

As always, thanks for your continued support.

Lynda Roser

Next Cub Reporter Tuesday, February 4, 2003

                              PTO NEWS
COBB 8TH GRADE TRIP
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ORLANDO – ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE

The second payment of $40 is due FEBRUARY 7, 2003.

Check or money order payable to Cobb PTO and given to your child’s
PC teacher.

CHAPERONES – Your cost will be approximately $70-75 and will be
collected in March.

If your child is new to the school and would like to attend this trip on
May 16, 2003, please call Julie Doherty, 385-0506.

              CALENDAR OF EVENTS
SPORTS
Goys Basketball  Games:    Girls Soccer Games:
  1/18/03 6:30 at BellVue      1/22/03 6:00 at Tom Brown Park
   1/30/03 6:30 at Cobb          1/27/03 6:00 at Tom Brown Park
    2/3/03 6:30 at Cobb            1/29/03 6:00 at Tom Brown Park

HOMEWORK CENTER
January 21-23 and 27-30
February 3-6

School Activities