CMS-MAGNET Archives

Cobb Middle School Magnet News

CMS-MAGNET@LISTSERV.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Robin Oliveri <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 2009 21:24:18 -0500
Welcome to the New Year!

By now all our students are getting back into the swing of school again.
We sure missed all of them over the holiday and hope everyone enjoyed a
restful break.

Some things to consider for the new semester:

a.  FIELD TRIPS
The sixth grade has just about filled two busses with students and
parents.  We have room for only about 4 or 5 more, so if you have decided
you would like to get in on this fun trip, please let Michelle Roddenbury
know.  She is doing a fantastic job coordinating and organizing our trip.
We are now working on shirts and snacks for the bus ride.  Letters will be
coming home next week with the final dollar amount after fundraising and
the next payment date.

The seventh grade field trip needs more kids ASAP or we will have to
cancel.  We have decided to open the trip up to all eigth grade magnet
students, too.  Please encourage your student to participate.  It will be
an EXCITING and UNIQUE experience--overnight, behind the scenes at
SeaWorld, I mean, WOW!  The more students, the lower the price.  We also
need ideas for a special fundraiser for this trip.  Please email me if you
would like to help out!!  If you would like to join, please send in the $40
deposit and a permission letter.  You can find the flyer on my website
under the announcements section.  Your trip coordinator is Kenny Locke and
he would appreciate any volunteers to help with the trip.

b. PROBATION LETTERS
Probation letters will be coming home next week with report cards.  If your
student has fallen below a 3.0 academic average or level 3 for citizenship,
they will receive a letter.  The probation period will extend through the
end of the third nine weeks.  If you have not already met with your child's
instructional staff, please make an appointment to discuss any strategies
that we can both employ to help our students reach their full potential. It
is our goal to develop strong learners, NOT to dismiss our pupils.  Working
together is the most effective method for building strong academic and
social communities.

c.  SCHOOL SUPERVISION
Students staying after school for any reason must be in an approved and
supervised activity and have written parent permission to remain on
campus.  All other students must be off campus by 2pm.  Thank you for your
continued support to keep our students safe.

d.  STUDENT BEHAVIOR
Please review the student handbook guidelines with your child.  We would
like to encourage positive choices among our students with seemingly
mundane matters such as prevelant gum, drinks and eating in class; use of
cell phones during school hours, wearing hats/hoods during school hours and
appropriate classroom/hall behaviors.  Our magnet students are the campus
leaders and we hope they will raise the bar and set the best example for
our student body.

e.  SCHOOL VOLUNTEERS
Cobb always welcomes parent volunteers on campus.  Making copies, helping
with labs, sharing your professional field expertise---the possibilities
are endless!  Fill out a volunteer form and send it to our guidance office,
then get involved--it's a wonderful way to build your child's school
experience.

Have a wonderful week!
Robin Oliveri