CMS-PARENTS Archives

Cobb Middle School Parents

CMS-PARENTS@LISTSERV12.LEON.K12.FL.US

From:
Mary Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:02:29 -0500
-The Open House for Cobb’s Magnet Program of Applied Science and Technology:
Last night we had a full house of parents and students from elementary
schools who are interested in attending Cobb’s Magnet Science and
Technology Program.  We had presentations by our teachers, PTO President,
Mrs. Harriet Williams, and our Student Body President, Jeremiah Elliott.  I
will have to say that Jeremiah’s speech was very impressive!!

-Shadowing Days:
Students interested in Cobb’s Magnet Program of Applied Science and
Technology have an opportunity to “shadow” for a day at Cobb.  This will
give interested students a chance to see first hand the science magnet
program.  The shadowing dates are January 31, February 2, 6, 8, and 10th.

-MARCH 1 DEADLINE FOR SCHOOL CHOICE:
March 1st is the application deadline for School Choice.  The School Choice
Program provides options for students to attend a school that best meets
their specific needs and maximizes their opportunity to learn.

-Options for the 2006-07 school year have changed.  If you are interesting
in knowing more about the Leon County School Choice Program, call the
School Choice Office (487-7546 or 414-5160) or visit us on the web at:
www.planning.leon.k12.fl.us.

-FCAT Writing Plus Practice Test:
The D.O.E. FCAT Practice for Writing Plus will be given Thursday, January
26th.  These practice FCAT tests will be given during the regular language
arts classes.  After your child takes the FCAT Writing Plus Practice Test,
the language arts teachers will go over the problems, and then take the
practice test home by Monday, January 30th.

-FCAT Writing Plus Test and Writes Upon Request:
FCAT Writes Plus (grade 8) and the Writes Upon Request (Grades 6 and 7)
will be administered on Tuesday, February 7th.  Please make sure your child
has plenty of sleep the night before and if at all possible do not schedule
any appointments that would cause your child to miss school that day.  If
your child is sick on the actual test day, they will be able to make up the
test on Wednesday or Thursday.  Please remember there will be an adjusted
class and lunch schedule during all FCAT testing days.  The adjusted
schedule will be sent out in the very near future.

-PIRATES:
Did you hear about Cobb teachers dressing up like Pirates?  The week of
February 13th students will learn PIRATES Prepare to succeed Inspect the
instructions Read, remember, reduce Answer all questions Turn back Evaluate
Survey a test taking strategy, Cobb teachers have a surprise in store!!

-Schedule for FCAT Reading, Math and Science Tests:
FCAT Writes Plus(8th grade) and WUR(6&7 Grades Tuesday, February 7th
FCAT SSS Reading    Monday, February 27th
FCAT SSS Math     Tuesday, February 28th
FCAT Science(8th Grade Only)   Monday, March 6th
FCAT NRT Reading and Math   Tuesday, March 7th

-3rd Annual Cobb Middle School Mini Mu Math Competition:
On Saturday, January 28, 2006 we are expecting over 350 elementary fourth
and fifth graders to participate in our annual Mini Mu math competition.
This is good opportunity  for elementary students from around the district
to show off their math expertise!!!

-As some of you may already know, Mary Barrett, my secretary will be
retiring after 22 years of dedicated service to our school.  Please feel
free to come by and bid her farewell.  We all will miss her dearly!!!

Have a wonderful weekend,

Shannon Meeks, Principal